• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's growing well in your garden?

Yup, green beans are a rabbit's favorite. You have to fence them in. I purchased "Rabbit Fencing" at Lowe's and surrounded the entire garden last year with it. They still got through it! The managed to jump up through the larger openings at the top of the fence. This year I added additional fencing over that, which has smaller openings. So far so good.

As far as chipmunk's go, the kill total is 14 for July. I had good success with the "Bucket of Doom", however the squirrels devour the seed in the bucket. I've resorted to standard mouse traps baited with seed. But you have to place an enclosure over them to prevent killing birds. Also, very important. Make sure to bag and dispose of and dead ones. A rat will be attracted by the smell, and find any that you bury and feed on them.

Zucchini is doing great. Try fried zucchini flowers with or without an anchovy inside. They are delicious. Only pick the male flowers though. Take 1 cup flour, and 1 cup club soda for batter. Quick fry these and drain. YUM!

My current battle is the squirrels picking tomato's. Answer, Gamo .177.

I tried growing broccolini this year. Never grew any of the broccoli's or cabbage. I too have the "broccoli worm". Leaves are devoured only on these plants. The small white moth that you see in the garden is laying the eggs that become the worm. I tried diatomaceous earth on the leaves to help prevent them from feeding on them. I feel it's too much work for such little reward.Doubt I will grow them again.
Broccoli and cabbages doing great. I covered them to keep the cabbage worms off of them and it helped although some still got through. Beans and peas doing great. Squashes seem to be going slow although I saw some starting to set. We probably don't have the best light for the garden and sometimes it seems things are not getting pollinated. I helped that process with a small paint brush last year and will have to do it again this season even though I left clumps of white clover in the garden to attract bees.

Been waging war on voles. They destroyed my squash last year. and that also might be part of the problem this year. I've been picking them off with mouse traps placed around their holes and paths.

Need oil and spinosad have kept the cabbage worms under control - about the only thing under control.

Made a quart of green jalapeño hot sauce today - have to wait two weeks but looking forward to that.

Wife put up a bunch of stewed tomatoes, kale, collards and is drying some basil.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I posted this picture earlier and these plants are now at about 6ft. tall and still no flower. WTF
IMG_1776_zpse0kdjd7j.jpg

IMG_1818_zpswtgmhgvf.jpg

The cucumbers and corn are doing great in my garden. Already harvested the potatoes too. The tomatoes are just starting to turn. Been a great year so far.

This is the time of year my smaller tomatoes are going crazy. This was today's haul. (minus 10 I just pop like candy before they make it into the house). [smile]

View attachment 174283

I've had good success with Super Sweet 100 plants the past couple of years, and the critters seem to leave em alone for whatever reason.
sadly, it looks like I'm going to have to fight for my larger tomatoes, the bastards deflowered another one of my virgin veggies today. :(

Thread a needle and run the needle thru the peppers. Then just hang them outta the sun where the air will circulate. I usually just hang them from the ceiling beams in the kitchen. They dry just fine. I know some folks will slit the bottom of the pepper open before they hang em so they dry quicker.

I'm on my way to get me some gold from a hen. Over 9ft tall and just ready to bloom.
sunflower2_zpsjfujyfsl.jpg

Sunflower1_zps7yufrcmi.jpg

deer ate my sunflowers this year!

watermelon was planted late but doing well and I think we will get a few by sept end....first time growing watermelon

I use the dehydrator IN the GARAGE!

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Im dehydrator less lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Thread a needle and run the needle thru the peppers. Then just hang them outta the sun where the air will circulate. I usually just hang them from the ceiling beams in the kitchen. They dry just fine. I know some folks will slit the bottom of the pepper open before they hang em so they dry quicker.

Perfect! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom