What's comparable to Mini-Mags?

Its a actually sad how many 22s made today have function issues with Plain old 22lr.
Especially when years ago they made semi auto 22s that could cycle on 22 short , long and , long rifle with out issue . You could load them randomly in the tube or mag and just start shooting.
Pure marketing genius that some how we need all this special 22 ammo for shit to work.
The AR 22lr really got me laughing
For a tube fed rifle, it's not difficult to feed a shorter cartridge feed if it's a straight shot into the chamber and not at an angle, but for a tiny pistol I can understand some difficulties with certain ammo, but not the most common high velocity stuff. It use to be if you wanted a super small .22 pistol it was in .22 Short and I don't think those had as many issues with cycling as the .22 LR's do, but nobody wants to use a .22 Short for even plinking, let alone self defense.

So here we are with little .22's that don't work really and the reason they were made is lower recoil and going from centerfire to rimfire is never an effective means to that end, not when you've got two calibers between .22 and .380 that could be used and are more reliable than rimfire. I'm no fan of .25 in a gun where .32 can be used, but it seems that whenever we talk about a caliber below .380, if it's not .22, it may as well not exist for some reason.

Yeah, extractor geometry is extremely dependent on the exact shape of the bolt cut/hole and so on. So you tried the VQ, then the Kidd?
Yes, still had about 3 failures on each mag with the VQ and figured for something like 12 bucks I’ll give the KIDD a try and been failure free in a few thousand rounds

Nice. Yeah, that seems to be how it goes. I've been lucky and the VQ always does it for me, but if I had to get a Power Custom or Kidd to do the job, I certainly wouldn't mind holding onto the VQ as a spare for something else. I've pared back a lot, but I do like building custom 10/22s... should do it again. Whoever called them the LEGOs of firearms sure had it right.

When I owned .22lr's in the past I always used CCI mini-mags, never had any problems with them. I'm sort of thinking of getting a 22 semi-auto handgun now, but with the ammo shortage - what would be a .22lr of the same quality? How about the different Eley versions on CMP?

Before someone asks....thinking about a G44 or a Ruger LCP II. Haven't shot or held either one.

thanks!

Question: the problem described above, with the slide being cycled too fast and locking back - would replacing the recoil spring with a stiffer spring solve that problem?
I ask because I noticed that Ruger sells a stiffer recoil spring for the LCP II 22lr on its Accessories page.
===> Maybe. I didn't know they made one. If it worked, I'd be interested since most all .22LR ammo you find today is "high velocity".
Its a actually sad how many 22s made today have function issues with Plain old 22lr.
Especially when years ago they made semi auto 22s that could cycle on 22 short , long and , long rifle with out issue . You could load them randomly in the tube or mag and just start shooting.
Pure marketing genius that some how we need all this special 22 ammo for shit to work.
The AR 22lr really got me laughing
Maybe it's because everyone wanted "high velocity", so the firearms were designed to run on them. In a rifle, I can see it somewhat if people wanted to shoot farther and flatter. Pistols not so much, but probably had to be "tweaked" for the available, and now ubiquitous, "high velocity".
For a tube fed rifle, it's not difficult to feed a shorter cartridge feed if it's a straight shot into the chamber and not at an angle, but for a tiny pistol I can understand some difficulties with certain ammo, but not the most common high velocity stuff. It use to be if you wanted a super small .22 pistol it was in .22 Short and I don't think those had as many issues with cycling as the .22 LR's do, but nobody wants to use a .22 Short for even plinking, let alone self defense.

So here we are with little .22's that don't work really and the reason they were made is lower recoil and going from centerfire to rimfire is never an effective means to that end, not when you've got two calibers between .22 and .380 that could be used and are more reliable than rimfire. I'm no fan of .25 in a gun where .32 can be used, but it seems that whenever we talk about a caliber below .380, if it's not .22, it may as well not exist for some reason.
Well, the LCPII does fill a niche. For people with arthritis who can't handle anything bigger, there is at least .22LR. For a severely disabled person, you have the Ruger 22/45 light. Light enough in weight and recoil for one-armed use. Just not easily concealable. .22 LCPII for concealment, low recoil and light weight for one-handed use when nothing else will work. People always suggest something else for those with arthritis. If you don't have it, you don't understand the pain. I didn't understand riding in a vehicle with it and what my spouse was feeling until I had a pinched nerve in by neck and every little bump hurt! Same for recoil, I suppose.
I blame the deplatforming of the parler rifle.
Do you by chance mean the notorious Flobert parlor rifle? Asking for a friend.

Galloway Precision makes a spring kit specifically for the LCPII 22, if I have any trouble I'll get it and report back. ($25)

Well, the LCPII does fill a niche. For people with arthritis who can't handle anything bigger, there is at least .22LR. For a severely disabled person, you have the Ruger 22/45 light. Light enough in weight and recoil for one-armed use. Just not easily concealable. .22 LCPII for concealment, low recoil and light weight for one-handed use when nothing else will work. People always suggest something else for those with arthritis. If you don't have it, you don't understand the pain. I didn't understand riding in a vehicle with it and what my spouse was feeling until I had a pinched nerve in by neck and every little bump hurt! Same for recoil, I suppose.
I get that, arthritis wasn't what I was thinking about, but different people have different pain thresholds. I have the .380 LCP and after 3 mags worth, I'm done. It's not painful per se, it's just my hand shakes like I have Parkinson's and I can't shoot accurately anymore.

You may not be able to shoot a .25 or a .32, but others may. I just can't in good conscience recommend a .22 that's not reliable in a small semi auto unless it's all someone can shoot.

And for those that can shoot anything, but just want less recoil, there's the .32 that they're forced to buy from Kel Tec because Ruger refuses to make one.

Anyone used Norma TAC-22? Anyone remember how much that was (box of 500) before Covid? Targetsports lists it as $140, that's just nutty.

===> Maybe. I didn't know they made one. If it worked, I'd be interested since most all .22LR ammo you find today is "high velocity".

Maybe it's because everyone wanted "high velocity", so the firearms were designed to run on them. In a rifle, I can see it somewhat if people wanted to shoot farther and flatter. Pistols not so much, but probably had to be "tweaked" for the available, and now ubiquitous, "high velocity".

Do you by chance mean the notorious Flobert parlor rifle? Asking for a friend.
I do not think most ammo you find today is high velocity. I also do not think "people" wanted HV
I think alot of it was marketing,
I also think manufactures rather than maintain quality up the powder charge and velocity some to get less chance of "under charges"
This is why most cheap bulk ammo is "HV"
Most quality , accurate , 22lr will be SV or subsonic.

Not only do the feed , they cycle the action.
So why do guns made to day "need" HV ammo?

Not only do the feed , they cycle the action.
So why do guns made to day "need" HV ammo?
It may be a "break in" sort of thing, new guns today are obviously not as good as those in the past, the small burrs, tight fits, and stiff springs when new could lead to issues with standard velocity stuff, which leads to more calls for service and people swearing that such and such gun is junk.

I have the Ruger SR22 pistol and with a .22 Short in the chamber and one in the mag, it will cycle and feed fine for the two shots, yet it's a larger pistol than the LCP is and I doubt the LCP would be able to do the same.

BTW, I agree with you about the reason the cheap ammo is high velocity, it's just something done to help insure there's enough power to cycle a bolt with a low charged case.

It may be a "break in" sort of thing, new guns today are obviously not as good as those in the past, the small burrs, tight fits, and stiff springs when new could lead to issues with standard velocity stuff, which leads to more calls for service and people swearing that such and such gun is junk.

I have the Ruger SR22 pistol and with a .22 Short in the chamber and one in the mag, it will cycle and feed fine for the two shots, yet it's a larger pistol than the LCP is and I doubt the LCP would be able to do the same.

BTW, I agree with you about the reason the cheap ammo is high velocity, it's just something done to help insure there's enough power to cycle a bolt with a low charged case.
Yup much easier to "over charge" for more pressure than keep high quality checks.

Although I dont believe its ever been standardised
Subsonic V = less than 1100fps
Standard V = 1100-1150ish fps
High V= 1200-1300
Hyper V = 1300 plus
But its not standardized so manufactures can call it what they want.
Find what your gun likes and buy as much as you can , the next lot might not be as good!

Back
Top Bottom