• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats causing this, chewed up bullets?

RK1717

NES Member
I have an RCBS press with RCBS .223 die. It seems that if the bullet isn't put in the casing by hand perfectly straight this happens.

Should I get a better die for bullet seating. You guys seem to like hornady for rifle.

P1290565.JPG P1290566.JPG

Something is jacked in that die. I like Hornady dies.

I've used four different brand of dies for seating and haven't had the issue you're seeing though. Anything visibly wrong with the die inside like a void or large burr?

Something is jacked in that die. I like Hornady dies.

I've used four different brand of dies for seating and haven't had the issue you're seeing though. Anything visibly wrong with the die inside like a void or large burr?

Ok you were right some stuff was up there. The first bullet left some shavings I don't know how but it's been pushing the rest off course causing them all but a few to be junk.

Seating stem profile is off for those bullets....I ran into a simular issue loading soft points for my mosin. The stem was slightly bent and would catch the edge of the soft point....I took another stem from another set and it wasxnot bent and contacted the ogive well below the lead point vs the other stem was right at the end of the jacket.
On an extreme fix I filled a seater stem on a lee dead set seater die with expoxy( jb weld) to form it to some cast bullets for my 8mm Mauser.

Back
Top Bottom