• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's a good price for this used Safe

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
I will be selling this Champion Challenger Safe and a co-worker wants it. I'm trying to figure out a fair price. He knows he can buy other safes for what I'm thinking of asking for this one.
I was thinking $600 or $700 but that may be a bit out of touch with reality.

View attachment 45675

Challenger Series
The Challenger Series will boldly confront intruders without defying your bank account. The Challenger line-up of safes provides high security and excellent quality at affordable pricing.

The Challenger Series offers many of the same advantages found on our higher priced models including the famous Sargent & Greenleaf lock, internal ball-bearing hinges, and 100% active door bolts. The Challenger has the thickest, heaviest, steel body in its class — 10 gauge (.135). The body is over 1 3/8-inch thick with Phoenix™ Class II Fire Protection, rated at 1300º for one-hour, a standard feature. The 4-inch thick composite door, protected by Champion’s thick Diamond Imbedded Armor-Plate™, contains what many safe and lock experts consider to be the best locking assembly made. Champion’s Auto-Relock™ System, which is activated by heat, drilling or tampering, stands by to securely deadlock the boltworks. Lock-up is accomplished with up to 16 active, 1-inch diameter, door bolts, including top and bottom bolts. Roughneck™ Bolt Guides provide a lifetime of smooth operation.

All Challenger Series safes have an attractive granite finish with chrome-plated, three-spoke handle and dial. The interior is covered with plush velour (except sidewalls).

Safe Model Ch-25
W x H x D (inches) 31 x 60.5 x 25
Outer Shell Thickness - 10 Ga.
Overall Depth - 26.5''
Volume (Cu. Ft. ) - 25
Approx. Weight (lbs) - 775
Active Bolts - (12) 1"
Door Edge Thickness - 1''
Body Thickness - 1.375''
Interior - Velour

These are very bad safes & have had recalls in the past. I don't want you to get in trouble if you sell it, so I'll take it off your hands for free. Just drop it off at my house. I am in Worcester.

American made, I purchased it new in 2001 from Eastern Security Safe but don't remember what I paid but I’m sure it was over a grand. It also has a Golden Rod installed.

Tractor Supply has some sales right now still on some pretty nice safes. So, that needs to come into play too. To me, $600-$700 is a little steep. I would be thinking $450-$500 if that. Just my opinion.

If its american made and you bought it from Eastern Security, then its a quality safe. The ones tractor supply sells are garbage compared to the one the OP has. Chinese crap.

$600 definitely sounds fair to me. I actually sold a Liberty Lincoln for about what I paid for it after about 5 years. The new ones had gone up so much that mine was a bargain.

Anything he's going to buy new in the $600 range is going to be Chinese.

One thing I might do is give Eastern Security a call and ask them what they thought.

Crap? They may not be great safes, but their specs on them are pretty much the same or better than what the OP is posting.

Go spend 5 minutes on youtube. search on chinese safes, big box safes, gun safes.

They have flimsy lockwork, they aren't seam welded, just a ton of shortcuts are taken to reach a price point.

Unless you are renting and need to keep the weight down, you are best served when looking for a safe by trolling the business section of Craigslist. You can find real safes. I'm talking about TL30 safes with 3/4 inch steel bodies for pennies on the dollar.
for example: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bfs/3442551853.html

Last edited:
The price of a safe is directly proportional to who is going to move it. If you look around you can find plenty of free safes if you can get them out of there. I actually Karma'd 2 of them here.

Back
Top Bottom