What's a good place to order a custom PC?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
returns are a pain in the ass compared to other competitors.
I find that Amazon frequently has what Newegg does for the same price, but better/easier returns. I sometimes buy from Amazon even when the OEM has online sales because Amazon offers better terms. A recent belt I bought needed to be returned. It was a "buyer pays shipping on returns" item, same as the vendor, but no "15% restocking fee". When the vendor had not refunded 7 days after receiving the return one email to Amazon got the refund processed within hours.
The SATA cable I am using is one of those right-angle ones so it bumps up against metal and can't move any further.
You may have answered your own question. Get a straight SATA cable.

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I have a stupid question, but... this case has 2 places to put a 2.5" SSD. At one end is a little screw that does nothing, doesn't even reach far enough to contact the drive, not that that would matter because there is no screw hole on the SSD at its end anyway. What's the expected way to properly hold the SSD down, other than duct tape? Right now it is flopping around. Don't say the 4 screw holes on the side of the SSD, because they don't line up with what the case provides. To make them line up would require removing the SATA cable so that I can slide the SSD a little further towards the holes. The SATA cable I am using is one of those right-angle ones so it bumps up against metal and can't move any further.
Just tried to look. You said it only has one screw? If that's the case it's a spare m.2 screw

Take the other side of the case off. The ssd may mount behind the motherboard on the back side.

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just tried to look. You said it only has one screw? If that's the case it's a spare m.2 screw

Take the other side of the case off. The ssd may mount behind the motherboard on the back side.
No not at all the M.2 stuff.... I see that elsewhere on the motherobard. This is a special spot beside the larger drive bays to hold a 2.5" SSD, fits perfectly except nothing holds it in. A 2.5" object would not go in a M.2 location. I'll see if I can post a pic later, but it is visible in the product images that microcenter has for their PowerSpec machines.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You may have answered your own question. Get a straight SATA cable.
Yep that will probably work... as long as the straight cable can turn sharply enough at the back panel there. I think it will. I have none so I'll have to buy one.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Need pictures.
The one pic I found on-line, and I'm not sure I'm looking at what you are describing, shows two drive trays held onto the case by a single screw. The drive itself would mount to the tray, might be tool-less but I can't tell from the picture,

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Sorry I took this through the glass at night with glowing blue lights, but it should be good enough to see. The upper red rectangle is the back of the SSD where the cables connect, and that runs behind it... the panel on the other side lets me access them. The lower red rectangle is the mysterious useless screw. Notice the lower/front part of the SSD is merrily rising out of the little holder here because the 2 cables on the back are weighing it down and causing it to tilt up.

If the expected way to hold this down is through the side screws (that I can't line up until I try different cables), I'm not sure the point of this one lone end screw.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you loosen that thumb screw I think you will find that the drive tray can be removed from the case, making it easier to install the drive into the tray.

The cable issue may just be the way it is.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you loosen that thumb screw I think you will find that the drive tray can be removed from the case, making it easier to install the drive into the tray.

The cable issue may just be the way it is.
That’s what I’m thinking too. Either the thumbscrew releases the tray that’s there, or there’s a tray somewhere that’s missing.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking too. Either the thumbscrew releases the tray that’s there, or there’s a tray somewhere that’s missing.
The tray seems welded to the drive bays somehow, so I don't think that's it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The tray seems welded to the drive bays somehow, so I don't think that's it.
I just realized you can't line up the side screw holes (the obvious way in which it's supposed to be mounted) because you have the wrong cables. WGAF what the thumbscrew is for if you don't need it?

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just realized you can't line up the side screw holes (the obvious way in which it's supposed to be mounted) because you have the wrong cables. WGAF what the thumbscrew is for if you don't need it?
There has to be some kind of tray. The powersec site has a email for help, OP should email them. I couldn't find a manual for the case but there should be one someplace. Was this a NIB system or an open box/clearance system?

If you place a drive in the space that looks like a mount, does it look like there is just enough room on either side for a thin metal tray to fit? I'm leaning toward the tray being missing.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
There has to be some kind of tray. The powersec site has a email for help, OP should email them. I couldn't find a manual for the case but there should be one someplace. Was this a NIB system or an open box/clearance system?

If you place a drive in the space that looks like a mount, does it look like there is just enough room on either side for a thin metal tray to fit? I'm leaning toward the tray being missing.
No, it's all pre-built and new.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's mainly a curiosity, in case it actually did have some kind of intentional design I could make use of.

Well, the cables I have include the power supply connection... that comes with the computer and is attached to the power supply. So, I'm not changing that. I'll try to find another SATA cable that doesn't have the right-angle thing going on and see if that lets me line up the screws. And even if I do manage to line them up, I can only reach 2 screws on one side. I'm not sure how someone is expected to reach the other side unless they have some sort of right-angle screw driver that works with only a couple inches of clearance. But, 2 is enough to hold it in regardless.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
can you post a non troll pic [rofl]

jesus christ
I posted a pic at 7:08 am. Granted it wasn't great but it shows it. I'm mobile now so I can't do anything now.

Anyway, my plan is to try to find a straight SATA cable. There should be one somewhere from an old drive, if I can ever find it.

OH and the HDD fits perfectly without anything bizarre going on. It just slides in with this little metal stub that I just have to pull back and let snap into the hole in the drive. No screws, no tools or anything stupid like that.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It's mainly a curiosity, in case it actually did have some kind of intentional design I could make use of.

Well, the cables I have include the power supply connection... that comes with the computer and is attached to the power supply. So, I'm not changing that. I'll try to find another SATA cable that doesn't have the right-angle thing going on and see if that lets me line up the screws. And even if I do manage to line them up, I can only reach 2 screws on one side. I'm not sure how someone is expected to reach the other side unless they have some sort of right-angle screw driver that works with only a couple inches of clearance. But, 2 is enough to hold it in regardless.
The screw hole position just reinforces my belief that this is a tray that can be removed. They just don't make cases where you can't reach the drive mount, and that thumb screw has to be for something.

Take out the thumb screw, wiggle things around see what moves.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The screw hole position just reinforces my belief that this is a tray that can be removed. They just don't make cases where you can't reach the drive mount, and that thumb screw has to be for something.

Take out the thumb screw, wiggle things around see what moves.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

By the way, Microcenter's web site didn't say what case it has, but I figured out it is this one:

Solytech PCD-01
PCD-01 - PRODUCTS - SOLYTECH
which indicates the 3.5" and 5.25" bays are tool-less as I figured out, and the 2.5" not tool-less. However, no documentation. But, I did manage to find the manual here, in German:
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/support/downloads/misc/518-manual-pcd-01/file
I don't speak German, but I see an image showing they expect 4 screws on the sides to hold it in. So, I guess the screw at the end does nothing or was used to hold the bracket onto the drive bays or something. The screw resists removal, so I'll leave it alone and continue my quest for another SATA cable.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
From the english version of their site
upload_2019-9-15_18-11-35.png
That's a tray that comes off with the removal of the thumb screw. The manual shows the tray separated and it has two tabs on the edge opposite the screw that fit into the top of the drive cage. Remove the thumb screw, pivot that edge up about 45% and you should be able to lift the tray out.

PCD-01 - Inter-Tech GmbH

Reactions: AHM

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
From the english version of their site
View attachment 302981
That's a tray that comes off with the removal of the thumb screw. The manual shows the tray separated and it has two tabs on the edge opposite the screw that fit into the top of the drive cage. Remove the thumb screw, pivot that edge up about 45% and you should be able to lift the tray out.

PCD-01 - Inter-Tech GmbH
Thanks. I found a SATA cable and managed to get it in with the 4 side screws, although the cable is kinked sharper than I otherwise would prefer once the case is closed.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks. I found a SATA cable and managed to get it in with the 4 side screws, although the cable is kinked sharper than I otherwise would prefer once the case is closed.
turn the drive over in the tray and use the 90% cable. Drives don't care which way is up.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I got a PowerSpec G225, with a AOC 32" monitor ...
Does it fit on her ankle,
or around her neck?

Does it have a GPS,
or does it trigger if she leaves the vicinity of a black box wired to her land line?

can you post a non troll pic [rofl]
@Prepper was probably low-balling it.

It may have that "Doris Day" blur
if he never removed the protective shipping film
from the plastic window on the LH case skin.

turn the drive over in the tray and use the 90% cable. Drives don't care which way is up.
.dratsab uoY​
.CP ym no skrow gnihton won dna taht did I

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Finally took ours off just now. Much crisper appearance of the innards).

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Does it fit on her ankle,
or around her neck?

Does it have a GPS,
or does it trigger if she leaves the vicinity of a black box wired to her land line?

@Prepper was probably low-balling it.

.dratsab uoY​
.CP ym no skrow gnihton won dna taht did I
LOL I noticed that AOC brand name too. It is most unfortunate, but this monitor actually works great. 4k and easily visible at maximum resolution. It didn't try to take all my stuff and give it away or anything. I'm glad I didn't get the monitor I was thinking of at Best Buy.

Top Bottom