1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What's a good place to order a custom PC?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Prepper, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

One nice thing about the minis too, is you can mount them behind the display. So they literally consume zero desk space. They make VESA mounts for them. I have to agree with Jay that Dell service kind of sucks. I can't really say the same about HP. I've never had them give me any grief. But then again - the machines have been so reliable I can't even remember the last time I called them. Would probably be when I had a ProCurve switch that had a power supply fail. Given HP enterprise is an entirely different animal, but the unit was covered under a lifetime warranty and they had a part onsite in 4 hours... yes, I said lifetime warranty, yes I said 4 hours.

JayMcB likes this.

2. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

... That's our standard too. 256 GB SSD and 8 GB memory. Developers get 16 GB memory. Visual Studio, NetBeans and some other IDEs can be kind of a hog. Graphics folks (power users of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite) also get 16 and a bigger HD.

3. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

We also spec HPE Procurves, and with the exception of a few which have 'frozen' and subsequently been replaced under the lifetime HPE warranty, I have some in racks that are approaching 10 years old. 10. Years. Old.

4. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

I've got a couple that are that old too. 24/7/365 for 10 years.

5. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Yup and the mfgrs pay something like $25 for that license, and have a contractual term that the reseller cannot indirectly disclose that with pricing like "$1000 w/linux; $1025 with windows".

6. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

For a while, you could buy HP laptops and desktops with FreeBSD..... for the same price... I be like WTF, why would I...

7. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Buy a dell along with their sad upgrade kit.

8. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Windows 365? I haven't heard of that. At work they deployed something called Office 365 and it is the most vile piece of garbage imaginable. Something as simple as saving a file has to be difficult, as it always tries to save to "the cloud" first, which violates the company's rules since we must never ever store company information in 3rd party cloud storage. Takes like 10 different gestures to get it to be saving into the local file system, and it never remembers it for next time. And buttons. Dozens and dozens of effing buttons. Whatever happened to menus? I can never find what I need to get anything done.

As for the keyboard, I can't get a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo because I use a special keyboard:

Kinesis Advantage2

9. whatluck

whatluck

How many of them were running 2x 4k monitors?

10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

4 hours? Okay, where I work they unfortunately give us all Dell laptops. And, my company has no IT department of its own so they do no self-service of them. If something goes wrong, they tell the employee to call Dell directly and mail the thing into Dell themselves. It takes weeks! Meanwhile, said employee is literally getting no work done because they also have no loaner/backup laptops available.

11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I wouldn't necessarily mind getting some kind of Linux, but there's just too much stuff that isn't compatible. I run all my cameras off of Blue Iris and there's no Linux equivalent. There are probably a couple other things I'll need to do as well that I'll discover when I try to do them.

12. whatluck

whatluck

You can keep a headless windows PC to run Blue Iris and VNC or RDP to that with Remmina from linux

Also WINE has come a long way in the last couple of years

13. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

14. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

7010s might not ( never tried it ) but a 9020 will definitely will...

15. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I thought you said you weren't gaming and now you're paying for a GPU that you'll never use...... that one question pretty much dictates how much the PC is going to cost...

16. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I'm not gaming, but look at the price. If a gaming PC is the price of a non-gaming PC, I doubt it would hurt. (Assuming the GPU doesn't overload the 400W power supply. Some of the reviews on this are complaining about the power supply.)

17. Caveman

Caveman NES Member

I went with Cyberpower for my current tower. Purchased it 6 years ago. I've since upgraded the Graphics card but thats all really. I'm using a 250gb SSD for my OS and have 2x 2TB drives for data and apps. You can spec out whatever you want on their website. CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams I know I paid a premium compared to self built but in my opinion it was worth the time I saved having to source, build, troubleshoot everything myself. I will say that I've never had a problem with the unit that I didn't cause myself and when my tower arrived and I unpacked it, one of the drive door covers was broken. I emailed them a picture of the drive door cover and requested just a replacement door cover. They sent me a whole replacement front panel of the tower that arrived the next week. I'm planning to use them for my next tower that I'll probably get within the next year or so.

timbo and Prepper like this.
  18. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Here's some reputable custom PC builders.
    • Falcon Northwest
    • Velocity Micro
    • Maingear
    • Origin PC
    • Puget Systems
    • Digital Storm
    • Xidax
    • XoticPC
    But these are really for building gaming PCs. If all you want is an SSD, just buy a Dell or whatever with a Hard Drive and buy a SSD online, and transfer the OS to the SSD.

19. Gorony

Gorony NES Member

Dell’s website still has a “customize and buy” button where you can select ssd?

20. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Not the last time I looked, although it was a few months ago.

21. Nhusa

Nhusa

I don’t purchase PCs anymore.
    I get used HP laptops on Amazon or EBay and a docking station.
    I replace the hard drive with a solid state drive and add a full sized monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
    It costs me well under $500 sometimes less than $400.
    I also have a 2 terrabite USB drive for backups.

Varmint likes this.
  22. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

23. Gorony

Gorony NES Member

Not sure, all the Inspirons and Alienware have “customize and buy” buttons,

Inspiron 3670 Desktop Computer | Dell United States

Admittedly the first thing I do is uninstall the non-OS crap that comes with a Dell or HP computer. But it seems like any of them can still be customized and built with an SSD if you so choose.

24. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Okay, I do see that button there. The customization options are ... "limited"... I can pick a graphics card on one I clicked on, that's it. I'm positive back in the old days I could customize everything. Regardless, I don't want a Dell....

JayMcB likes this.
  25. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

I like XoticPC, my current computer was put together by them and they have good customer service re: repairs, warranty, etc.

26. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Cool option, though my work Dell laptop is louder than my home desktop PC (corsair quiet case), when the fan starts to run, not sure why or what triggers it, it'll run the fan just sitting there, not playing a game or anything.

27. Gorony

Gorony NES Member

Some are more tweakable than others. The Inspiron line is their low end. The Alienware gaming rigs are more like the old Dell for customization
    Alienware Aurora Mid Tower Gaming Desktop | Dell United States
    I don’t know where their business line falls in that spectrum, didn’t look. But if the manufacturer is off the list then it doesn’t really matter.

28. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Speaking of fan, it would also be important if this thing were quiet. It will be on 24 hours per day since it will be handing Blue Iris software. I never had a PC labeled a "gaming PC"... are those likely to be loud due to all the extra cooling needed?

29. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

I used to always build my own computers when I was gaming. My current one just reached 10 years old. I've been using HP Elitebooks with docking stations for the past few years - worlds above their consumer grade crap. If I were gaming again I'd probably build my own.

Just to counter the AMD hate - I pretty much only use AMD everywhere. Intel turned me off with their anti-competitive bullying of OEMs. AMD has really driven the innovation lately and usually offers more value. To me Intel only wins if you need cutting edge single-core speed at any price.

Our university computer lab went to the small form factor HP desktops - they have been rock solid for several years now and it's much quieter and easier to teach in there without 25+ tower fans blowing, and less heat on the hot days so I can also turn down the air conditioning fans rather than shout over them.

Where I'd buy parts from? My old favorite place was Monarch Computers but they have been gone for years now. NewEgg was always pretty reliable but they pissed a lot of people off by turning over names to the State of Connecticut (including my name even though I don't live there! I had ordered something for a family member). Microcenter is fun but not sure how their prices look really.

30. Reyn

Reyn NES Member

My machine is from Falcon Northwest.