• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What you have on a lever action for sights

My Henry 357 is stock, works just fine.

My Marlin 45/70 needed the skinner peep. I just could not get the stock sights to work for me. The peep is very nice btw.

I have a Henry silver eagle on the way. I suspect I will like the stock sights.

For some reason I cannot get my self to put a red dot or scope on a lever action. It may change if I could use it for hunting. Ask me in a year, when I'm finally out in Montana :)

a lever action 357 is just fun. More fun than an AR. Get some steel plates and go to town. I hope you reload.

Can't for the life of me put a red dot or a scope on a lever.

All mine have peeps of various manufacturers, Skinner or Williams, and others. Willams is the cheapest and works just fine. I have that on my 336.

Ranger Point Precision makes a nice one for the 1894. I've been thinking of putting that on my 357 Remlin, right now I use stock sights but will change them eventually.

I have a new Remiln in 357.
I have not been to the range.

giv me your thoughts.
I got a Primary Arms micro red dot on my Marlin 357. Works really well. Super fun to shoot. Had one on my DW revolver too until it (revolver) blew up...
411D1F80-1C2D-46BE-AD4A-5A1AB6154913.jpeg

I’m an odd duck but I prefer the Marlin rear sight or some similar buckhorn/semi buckhorn for general use. Especially with a bead front sight that has a tapered base like Marlin uses.
I hold the bead down deep into the notch for close up shots. I hold the bead level with the top of the horns for mid range and then I hope the bead perched up above the notch completely for the long range shots.
Using these different holds gives me multiple sight pictures with one load or multiple loads like 38/357 without making sight elevator adjustments.
I know it sounds crazy but Elmer Keith used to do the same thing with his revolvers! Now that’s crazy.
I also do love peeps and plan to toss a a Kelly tang sight on my 1873 when I scratch up an extra $800

Skinner on my 38/257 henry bigboy, nikon scope I had laying around on my 22LR silverboy, stock buckhorn sights on my 44mag bigboy (though I want to get some skinner peep sights for it at some point.

I have a new Remiln in 357.
I have not been to the range.

giv me your thoughts.
depends on what your doing and what you expect.
no longer have my 336 but had a rear tang sight and front globe. Increases sight radius and adjust ability really helps with accuracy and consistency.
maybe over kill for 357?
Plus easier on the eyes than the typical notch rear sight and thin front post.

Can't for the life of me put a red dot or a scope on a lever.

All mine have peeps of various manufacturers, Skinner or Williams, and others. Willams is the cheapest and works just fine. I have that on my 336.

Ranger Point Precision makes a nice one for the 1894. I've been thinking of putting that on my 357 Remlin, right now I use stock sights but will change them eventually.

FYI RPP was out of 1894 black sights, so I went with a Skinner Express for my Remlin 357. Ordered on Friday, got to my house on Tuesday, which is pretty fast from Montana.

I was able to both keep the factory rear sight in by just flipping down the sight and setting it to its lowest setting, and also use the factory front sight with the new peep set in the fully screwed down positon. (50 yard zero full power 357 mag hunting loads)

God I wish we had a straight wall cartridge rifle season here in Central/Western MA, like they do in Ohio and other states that had only SG. There's absolutely no reason we couldnt.

Back
Top Bottom