• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What year did you start shooting?

Thankful for my Grandfather starting me off in 1991, at the age 10 with a Daisy BB gun then eventually moved on to a 20 gauge shortly after

Last edited:
You guys are old
Yeah... it's true. I just turned 53. I can still get it done, but sometimes need to take an Advil afterwards.
I think I am actually stronger now than I was in my 30's, but I know that will fade soon.
The key is you gotta keep working hard. I'm still solid because I bust my ass maintaining the property.
Still remember the first handgun I fired that day, a S&W 686.
I love my 686. One of the first handguns I ever purchased, and still one of my favorites.

1994. BCT at Ft Sill, plus lots of practice (for PE credit! Lol) with .22-adapted M16A1 and Ruger Mk II pistols on the range under the university gym.

Bought my first handgun (AutoOrd 1911) a year or two later.

My earliest memory of shooting around age 5 is at my grandparents' farm, being taught to shoot pests with a Daisy. I need to reach out and thank my cousin for that. I can still remember dropping a house sparrow out of a maple and a couple starlings off the edge of a granary. You never forget your first kill [rofl]. From there I went through boxes and boxes of .20 cal Sheridan pellets. Rode my bike to the Western Auto to buy them with lawn mowing money. I think I shot Dad's 32 Auto Colt before even shooting 22's- I was about 7. I remember that was a difficult pistol to shoot accurately though the recoil was 'fun' and not intimidating.

1972 or so, a bolt action .22 rifle at my Uncle's house. I remember shooting from the deck at his house down onto a frozen pond.

IIRC, it was around 1978 when I was 8 years old. This is for firearms. Don't recall what year for the BB gun. I would go to the range with my father. Went from the 22LR rifle, to 22LR pistol then through the Colt python (357 magnum of course) and to the 1911 soon after. IIRC, by the time I was 9 or 10 I was shooting all of those.

Fun times.

Camp Saratoga (BSA), Saratoga Springs, NY., Troop 28, Clifton Park Center

You had to be at least 11 years old to take the NRA .22 program - I got Pro-Marksman, Marksman, and Marksman First Class medals that first year. The following year I got the Marksmanship merit badge (& Start Scout). Eventually moved to aquatics, and worked on the waterfront as a life guard and instructor for four years. More opportunities for girls in that arena I suppose.........:D

1996 or 7 ish with .22's and lightweight stuff.

In 1998 or 1999 I was 10 or 11, my dad bought me a remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08 with Nikon scope for my first center fire rifle.
That rifle is lightweight and snappy and I developed a hurrendous flinch that took me years to get rid of, but I still took quite a few deer and a couple of black bear with it. I've refinished the stock about 3 times I've carried it so much. It's still my main hunting rifle, the short LOP is great for winter clothing and that rifle is like aimbot level accurate for me out to 400 yds or so with my favorite load for it.

my granddad got me to shoot at the air rifles club when i was able to reach the barrier with standing on the stool for kids - i think about 7 or 8, about after 1980 olympics. the .22lr i shot first about 12, then continued at school around 13 or 14 i think, we had a competition shooting going - so i started to train shooting margolin mcm and rifles. i was never great with pistol precision sports - probably needed more muscles on the arm at the time, but rifles were ok.
and still like precision rifles the best.

1955, I was 5. My Uncle helped me hold up the 22 so I could learn to use the sights to aim. By age 7 I was wandering the woods and fields of Minnesota with my grandfathers 22 after squirrels and rabbits mostly. Bought my first gun at age 12. A Remington 67 12 gage at an ace hardware store with money I had saved; no adult with me or knew I was buying it. It was a very different time.

Back
Top Bottom