• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What year did you start shooting?

IDK
10? For pellet guns.
12 for .22s
20s? For Shotgun.
So late 1960s to 1970s maybe.
Girls and cars were my thing.
The Mt. Vernon murder changed all that since the kids grew up and were from my neighborhood.
The wife flipped the f*** out.
So now I have "a few" firearms.

Went target shooting as a kid quite a few times with my dad , he had a few guns , but not a big collection , he was a Marine Corp (Nam vet). I always liked shooting , but didn't get my LTC until 2yrs ago at the ripe age of 47. I was a ;itt;e bit of a trouble maker as a teenager and a young adult , had my fair share of run ims with the police. I never thought that they would allow me to obtain a gun license , but I guess I was wrong ........

BB guns at the YMCA. 12 years old maybe. Then a friends Marlin model 60 which led to my first purchase, a Ruger 10/22.

First started shooting with granddad and uncle in late 80s, was 10 or 12. Usually .22, but i remember them handing me a shotgun once for fun🤣

Other than occasional shooting, didn't do much til I got my 1st gun in 2012, went to NES shoots, & became the gun nut of my social circle.🤣

Real guns 1987 I was 9, obviously bb guns a bit earlier. I still have that Marlin 60. Pistols and shotguns came a year or two later.

Summer of 74 on Hare Island Lough Ree Ireland. Hunting with my dad, no eyes no ears as no one cared back then. He said after lunch “you want to shoot your coke can”, I said absolutely. He put one round in his 12 gauge pump action. I had a hard time holding the gun up but once I got a beed I yanked on the trigger and ended up 4 or 5 steps back with the gun only in left hand. My dad was more ready for the recoil than I was. He scooped up the gun and I ran to find my can. I clipped the top with 4 or 5 pellets and the rest went in the lake. I was black and blue for a week but what a story I told at school and I saved that coke can for years. I can still see the spray of the pellets on the lake and the coke can flying off the rocks! Good time, glad I grew up when time were normal. Thanks for the memory jog.

1980 at 8, I got a Daisy 880 and Dad would take me to the boat launch on Lake Quinsigamond to shoot while he fished. When I turned 9 that year he got me a Chipmunk .22 and we’d go across the street to the Post Office to shoot.

This was before the boat launch and Post Office were there, obviously.

Visited family out West in 2010. Went out in the desert and spent the day shooting some semi auto pistols, 12 gauge pump and a 10-22. The 10-22 was what got me hooked. About a year and a half later I had my LTC. (procrastination...[thinking]) Bought a pistol for concealed carry and then a 10-22.

Grew up in Chelsea and never really even heard of anyone I knew who was into shooting. Remember playing around with my friends older brothers bb gun a few times in the 80's but other than that I hadnt fired an actual gun until I was 40. Genuinely jealous of guys that were plinking with their grand dad when they were kids.

Got my license in 2010, but bought my first gun in 2013 after Sandy Hook.
I was picking up my daughter, home from UMiami, at Logan. Every TV in the airport was tuned to Sandy Hook reports. Dropped her at home, went to the bank and took out $2k. Went to Zero Hour Arms and bought 2 more AR's
When I was about 12. I roamed the woods in NH with grandpa's old .22 pump to put food on the table. Grandpa taught me that meat tasted better than paper. Jack.
'Bout what year would that have been Jack? Was Herbert Hoover president?
Started in boy scouts in the early 1980s.
I bet lots of kids shot with the Scouts. I did too at the camp in Blue Hills, right around that same time.
Before I can answer I have to ask, for NES research purposes, is she guilty?
She is a cute kid. (about 30). Just started her own law firm. She worked in the family court in Brockton for the last 6 years.
It was a real eye opener. She told me that she was naive when she started. Then was exposed to true evil on a daily basis. Couldn't believe what people are capable of doing to their own children. One day she realized there are people in this world that can not be reasoned with, that will do you harm or kill you, no matter how much of a nice person you are. When you encounter those people, you have two choices. Defend yourself or die.

I guess my first BB gun was about 1970, I became fairly proficient. When I was ten, my Dad took his Marlin Bolt Action Tube Fed .22 down from above the Mantel. The kid next door was 13 and he had his own .22. He and his Dad had come over to shoot. We had a field out back and a steep hill to shoot into. We set up a bunch of cans. I learned to shoot my BB gun on my own. I never realized I was shooting leftie. My Dad yelling at me, " You're shooting backwards ". So I've got my right finger on the trigger and I'm craning my neck over the stock and lining up the sites with my left eye. Now he's yelling " That"s the wrong eye ". So I'm shooting with my right eye and hitting nothing. The other kid hitting 7 out of 10. After a few rounds, my Dad's telling the other Dad a joke, not paying attention to us. I said screw it, I switched to leftie. 10 out of 10. My Dad says " Finally, shit, you're shooting backwards again, oh the Hell with it ". I was hooked. I still shot my BB gun cause I could rarely get my Dad to let me shoot his rifle. By the time I was 14, I was 5'-10" and I found my Dad's FID card. I hopped on my ten speed and biked the 10 miles to Coleman's Sporting Goods in Danvers. I'd walk up to the back counter like a grown up, hand them my FID card and ride home with my 4 boxes of .22 LR. I'd grab the rifle when nobody was looking and put it back in the same fashion.

Thanks for the memory jog.
You are welcome.
That's what her question did to me. Jogged my memory.

I remember Dad teaching me and my brother how to shoot. " Take a deep breath in, as you release it.... squeeeeze" Dad was a helluva shot. WWII Marine.
He died when I was 12, but my older brother used to take me shooting ( Viet Nam Marine ). He took us a few times to the Randolph Town Hall. They had a rifle program and shooting range set up in the basement. It was run by some grumpy old retired cop.
By the time I got to Parris Island, I was pretty comfortable with a rifle. I shot Expert with ease. The Senior DI asked me after quals where I learned to shoot. Two days later was made squad leader.
I didn't shoot much in the 90's. Life got in the way. House, Kid, job. Then my son was born and I wanted to make sure he was taught properly, not by some f***ing video game.

Back
Top Bottom