• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you have done?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I have a 'friend' who, along with his wife, was invited to a picnic, this past Sunday. The 'inviters' are a couple of very likable new neighbors, and other than a few things in common, not a lot was known about them. They are still relatively new acquaintances.

When asked where the picnic would be, my 'friend' was told it was a really nice area near a light house that he and his wife would really like, and that was all that was said.

So my 'friend' and 'Mrs Friend' get in the new neighbors car and head off for a picnic. Soon, my 'friend' starts getting concerned about the direction they are going and asks where is the lighthouse, just as they see a sign that says "Welcome To Rhode Island". Jamestown RI is the answer. Meanwhile my 'friend' has a 1911 strapped to him ! He doesn't know if these new friends will freak out if he says, "hey, I can't go there, I'm packing heat". Such news at very least would have meant going home and ruining the day for all.

Since he was wearing a smart carry, he pushed it sown as far as he could and spent the day in RI, hoping for the best.

He had a great time but was hoping he didn't get sick or in a wreck and need an ambulance.

If you were my 'friend', what would you have done?

I'd've likely done the same thing.

However, I hate surprises so I would've insisted to know where we were going before we left.

I would have made sure I wasn't leaving the state before I left. I also usually always do the driving.

But in his shoes. I'd say, "I'm unable to enter RI, please drop me off here, and pick me up there on the way back."

The other option would be to unload and lock it up in the (preferably) car trunk. Life hands us these little curveballs, and sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind. [wink]

I got stuck here once like that and from it learned to keep one of those long locks in the car. I also have an empty toolbox with a padlock on it in the trunk. You never know.

---

You friend was screwed either way. He reveals and they freak out without the benefit of really knowing him and his harmless hobby or he crosses state lines and loses his license for some reason or another. Tough call all around.

I would have made sure I wasn't leaving the state before I left. I also usually always do the driving.

But in his shoes. I'd say, "I'm unable to enter RI, please drop me off here, and pick me up there on the way back."

Yeah....thats not shady at all. [smile]

Wow, 1911 in a smart carry. Hope it wasn't in a subcompact where you couldn't adjust yourself.

In all seriousness, since you were in their car you could really have done nothing except remain calm just go with the situation.

The other option would be to unload and lock it up in the (preferably) car trunk. Life hands us these little curveballs, and sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind. [wink]

Friend was afraid to freak out new friends so that really wasn't an option.

Friend says it was exhilarating, living on the edge!

Just another reason why victimless 'crimes' are so bad. Normal life may cause a technical violation with no intent.

Regardless of the reason, your 'friend' made a choice. We make choices every day of our lives. I can't recommend the choice, but having been in a similar type of situation where an unexpected trip caused a technical violation, the decision was to just keep going rather than create an exposure which might cause more issues.

This is also another reason why a Federal ruling must be made in a similar way that Driver's Licenses are universally accepted nation wide.

Shoot the tires out, then once the car stops flipping, head for the woods. Hunt with the remaining bullets and you will be able to survive long enough to make the treck back to your house.

No, I would have done exactly what your friend did, I've been in similar situations. Then I would write some representatives and urge that they pass the CCW bill that would force RI to recognize MA permit.

We need national reciprocity, just like with Driver's Licenses.

When will our Senators and Representatives step up......Oh, MA. I forgot.

Never mind.

Bob

Wow, 1911 in a smart carry. Hope it wasn't in a subcompact where you couldn't adjust yourself.

Well, it was actually Pilgrim's friend, not Pilgrim, so he probably couldn't comment on it...but yeah, tight fit to say the least.

But I think his friend made the right choice. Revealing his personal choices under those circumstances could (also) have had very far reaching consequences (remember, these are new neighbors).

Does the situation change if the back seat passenger isn't watching the road, and had no idea that the car has crossed the state line?

In a hypothetical case, say official discovery of the "violation" happens within 1/2 mile of the border.

This is where versipaks or backpacks in general come in handy. Any pack with a tucked away compartment that you can stow a locked up handgun with a lessened chance of someone stumbling upon it.
Just slip away unload, lock, bag, and toss it the trunk. The question about separating ammo and the locked gun comes into play though [thinking].

BTW, maxpedition devlidog versipacks are on closeout for $58.99. Great pack for GP outdoor use.

Wouldn't national reciprocity be great<dreaming> Forget it. Mass, Cali, NJ, Maryland, NY, et al. would fight it tooth and nail. Even if their senators and reps were outvoted you'd hear their Governors, and every other elected official whining "But what about state's rights... waaaaaaaaa" <grinding teeth>

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for packing heat. But when it comes time to picnic, I'll take my chances without a concealed weapon. That would just be my own personal choice. We are all free to make our own choices. That's what freedom is all about.

Last edited:
I'd've likely done the same thing.

However, I hate surprises so I would've insisted to know where we were going before we left.

Tough call but I think I'd agree. I went to Bass Pro in Foxboro with the family once... my wife knew a place that had ribs that wasn't too far from there. It was kinda funny when I was giving her crap saying that if I crossed into RI I've be comitting a felony! Maybe not so funny...

PS- It's a reason I have a NR license in NH/ME which a frequent on a regular basis.

There is an exception in the Rhode Island law for people with out of state permits. People who have CCW permits issued by another state may travel through the state while carrying a weapon as long as they have no intention of detaining themselves in RI.

If you get caught your story should be that you are just passing through.

I think a picnic kind of says you're not just passing through. [wink]

When I travel, especially in someone else's car, I know where we're going, and if I won't be able to carry, I go naked.

That being said, I once had a surprise last minute "Oh crap" moment while carrying, so I STFU and stayed calm.

Back
Top Bottom