• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you give up to get what you wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milktree

NES Member
Say you're the leader of a group that represents gun owners and you've been invited to the White House to have a "meaningful conversation about common sense gun control"

Yes, I put that in quotes on purpose, because we all know that's code for "incrementally taking away all guns"

So, Obama says, "what do you suggest, what can you do to help?"

Your response is something like, "I need to get something meaningful if we're to lose any rights, or I'll be lynched for selling my constituents down the river. I need something that actually makes gun owner's lives better before I can give up anything."

OK, what's that thing? What would you give up for it?

Some examples: (not ones I necessarily endorse, just something to get things started)

In exchange for eliminating the "home state only handgun sales" requirement of GCA68 (something that's irrelevant now anyway what with NICS checks, so it wouldn't cost them anything) would you accept nationwide standards for CCW?

In exchange for eliminating the Hughes Amendment, would you accept an increase in the cost of the tax stamp?

In exchange for the elimination of all "gun free zones" that don't have armed security guards (e.g. prisons, courthouses, inner city schools, the White House, &c.) would you accept "shall-issue" licensing?

What do you want, and what would you give up for it?

Ok I'll bite

I'll give up my right to vote here in Ma for the instant repeal of all gun laws

(Pssss my vote never counts in Ma n e way, cuz I'm swimming in libtard moonbat shit, not guano but straight tird).

I'm tired of giving.........but we don't seem to be stopping them from takeing.
If posted my frustration enough already. Bidens bs remarks today should have been enough for all pro gun groups to call out the members.

But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.

John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, July 17, 1775

http://www.MarksQuotes.com/Founding-Fathers/Adams/ some good reading

I am up off my ass and ready to go......just don't know which way.

that's an oxymoron

It sure is.

I have yet to hear a *single* suggestion from the anti-gun crowd that actually made any common sense if you think even two seconds beyond, "OMG GUNS ARE SCARY!" Not one. They're all things as stupid as "We should make breaking laws illegal!"

There *are* things we want that really wouldn't cost the anti-gun crowd *anything* if they actually cared about public safety and not just about "getting guns off the street" (as if any of them have any clue what those words mean):

A repeal of the Huges amendment would have zero effect on public safety, machineguns are never used in crimes, except twice in the last 80 years, once by a cop, but it would get us new machineguns. I'd feel sorry for current MG owners for their loss in collection value, but only for a few minutes.

A repeal of the GCA68 restriction on interstate sale of handguns would also have zero effect on public safety, since local dealers don't know the locals who buy from the local shop anyway, and every purchase has to go through a NICS check. It would be *cheap* for them to give us that, and make our lives a lot easier.

I don't think any of the things currently being suggested by team-Obama that are reasonable trades for either or both of those to things we want though.

When I read these threads I begin to realize just how dead in the water gun owners are. When people start quoting the Founding Fathers etc. they have lost most of the audience. In the end we gun owners are a minority and we are on the defensive. Let's face it, of the millions of gun owners out there, most are casual owners. This is not a hard core issue with them.

So what would I give up? All semi-automatic firearms (oh the horror , the fuddery , you say) in exchange for total and unfettered possession and access to every other kind of firearm. I can live quite comfortably with revolvers, pumps, bolts and levers. But when I say unfettered, I mean a national gun law identical to that of Vermont or Arizona or Alaska sans semi-autos (and full autos).

Such a proposal would of course eliminate certain forms of competition
shooting, might revive other shooting games.

This will never happen, but that would be my deal. To the arm chair commandos who claim they will hit the streets when go-time comes, I would point out that that there have been plenty of folks in the last six decades who have taken on the US Army with bolt guns, IEDs and even crossbows and have prevailed .

CQB? I'll take a 12 gage pump over an AR.

Preparing for neg reps inbound.

Last edited:
I might give up some anger , scorn and disgust in exchange for a little honesty in the discussion.
I'd like to pose a yes or no question to you : Do you still beat your wife ?

2A has nothing to do with hunting.
Gun control is not about controlling guns , or criminals. It's about controlling free citizens.
Modern government is opposed to the Bill of Rights.
Democrats. Do not want freedom , they want control , and to be controlled.

Until we are being honest with each other ( antis and constitutionalists ) everything that follows is a lie.

We've already given too much, its time to take back.

Well I guess we could have anyone with an old inert rocket tube with trainer stenciled on the side to turn them in so the gov can save face [rolleyes]

When I read these threads I begin to realize just how dead in the water gun owners are. When people start quoting the Founding Fathers etc. they have lost most of the audience. In the end we gun owners are a minority and we are on the defensive. Let's face it, of the millions of gun owners out there, most are casual owners. This is not a hard core issue with them.

So what would I give up? All semi-automatic firearms (oh the horror , the fuddery , you say) in exchange for total and unfettered possession and access to every other kind of firearm. I can live quite comfortably with revolvers, pumps, bolts and levers. But when I say unfettered, I mean a national gun law identical to that of Vermont or Arizona or Alaska sans semi-autos (and full autos).

Such a proposal would of course eliminate certain forms of competition
shooting, might revive other shooting games.

This will never happen, but that would be my deal. To the arm chair commandos who claim they will hit the streets when go-time comes, I would point out that that there have been plenty of folks in the last six decades who have taken on the US Army with bolt guns, IEDs and even crossbows and have prevailed .

CQB? I'll take a 12 gage pump over an AR.

Preparing for neg reps inbound.

Dude.......

I could be convinced to give up two things I think.
The compromise would be to reset all gun laws nation wide to what they were in 1933.

The two things that I would sacrifice would be romneycare and obamacare. It may take some convincing, but I think I could concede.

Sent from my mobile device.

So, Obama says, "what do you suggest, what can you do to help?"

Your response is something like, "I need to get something meaningful if we're to lose any rights, or I'll be lynched for selling my constituents down the river. I need something that actually makes gun owner's lives better before I can give up anything."

OK, what's that thing? What would you give up for it?
I don't think this administration is interested in negotiating. These meetings/summits/conversations/whatever are to gauge how much they can push before risking a major back-lash.

THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO GIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GUN GRABBERS have never compromised, Besides how do you compromise your rights?

GIVE THAT COMMUNIST RACIST BASTARD NOTHING!!!

^ This.

We've got people arming the Mexican cartels with illegal guns, who are killing American citizens, now lecturing us that we are irresponsible and need to give up our firearms. GMAFB.

Last edited:
What would I give up??? Nothing. These are not responsible and righteous people we are dealing with. These are lifetime avowed gun grabbers, and if we give them an inch they will take 10 miles.

Of all these laws that are going to potentially be passed, what are the unintended consequences. Last year we saw some poor CT student driving thru MA, get stopped on the highway, officer noticed a spent cartridge key ring with a hole drilled into it, and was promptly arrested for possessing ammo components!

These laws, hastily drawn and not having any impact on criminals or nut jobs, often end up slapping a felony on some law abiding guy who is not a legal scholar!

I say "stand your ground".

I might give up some anger , scorn and disgust in exchange for a little honesty in the discussion.
I'd like to pose a yes or no question to you : Do you still beat your wife ?

2A has nothing to do with hunting.
Gun control is not about controlling guns , or criminals. It's about controlling free citizens.
Modern government is opposed to the Bill of Rights.
Democrats. Do not want freedom , they want control , and to be controlled.

Until we are being honest with each other ( antis and constitutionalists ) everything that follows is a lie.

If by democrats you are including the republican wing, I agree.

Sent from my mobile device.

why do we need to make concessions, we have done nothing wrong except exercise rights protected by the Bill of Rights? The Anti's dont make any concessions towards us, its take take take with them. The only thing i would ever agree to is Background Checks that is it. They treat us gun owners like we are dam second class citizens, like we are scum. No this is what i would tell the president if i was allowed to meet with him "Mr. President, with all due respect, on what goddam planet does punishing the innocent deter the guilty"

What would I give up??? Nothing. These are not responsible and righteous people we are dealing with. These are lifetime avowed gun grabbers, and if we give them an inch they will take 10 miles.

Of all these laws that are going to potentially be passed, what are the unintended consequences. Last year we saw some poor CT student driving thru MA, get stopped on the highway, officer noticed a spent cartridge key ring with a hole drilled into it, and was promptly arrested for possessing ammo components!

These laws, hastily drawn and not having any impact on criminals or nut jobs, often end up slapping a felony on some law abiding guy who is not a legal scholar!

I say "stand your ground".

And just how willing are you to stand your ground? Are you willing and able to pledge your life, fortune and sacred honor? Are you willing to see your family sent to a relocation center and be subject to "advanced interrogation techniques" to divulge your whereabouts? Do you have the survival skill sets necessary to survive in a guerrilla warfare environment? Can you go for years on meager rations, inadequate sleep and perhaps no or minimal health care? Can you live with chronic discomfort?

If you can say yes to all of these, then you are good to go...but what you are ultimately suggesting when you say "stand your ground" is exactly that. It's not a movie or a TV show, and frankly. Just how far are you willing to back up your rhetoric?

Maybe you are a combat vet, maybe not, maybe you are an outdoorsman and a hunter, maybe not...do you grasp the full implication of what you are saying and where it might take you in the future?

Give nothing, fight for our god-given rights before those who know not what they lose give them away for the comfort of the lazy.

Mr. A: "I want to shoot you in the head and kill you"
Mr. B: "What? No! I don't want you to do that!"
Mr. A: "Hey we all need to compromise. How about I just shoot you in the shoulder?"
Mr. B: "No way! I don't want you harming me in any way!"
Mr. A: "Look at all I've given up in the spirit of compromise. I don't want to kill you any more. You're not even willing to compromise this one little thing and be shot in the shoulder? You must hate America."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom