• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you do ??

What would you do

• Leave as is

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Do a complete restoration as in sandbast and reblue, and refinish wood

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BTSDOG

NES Member
Ive got this old (1903) Savage pump .22 rifle with octagon barrel and low serial # (4 digit). It looks like its been around the world and back. Its it good mechanical shape, Ive taken it down, cleaned it up and it does function, altho ive not fired it. My question is, should i leave it as is, have it restored to make look like new (as in complete rebluing job.) See pics below........

7318FE6E-3FFA-4C5A-BB3D-66166740DEFA.jpeg A71DF6DA-2932-4F74-B653-1CF57538A7F5.jpeg 3BDB8F0D-760B-4313-AB38-ED6D0F9298EF.jpeg DF77F8DE-16BB-438C-9B5C-893BE3CC4815.jpeg 8D86ADC2-F26C-45B7-BA17-FF0B8F3682B0.jpeg 5945FF57-1161-4FE2-9443-78DA26B93706.jpeg FB8C6D8C-3765-499A-A329-AB215AD79924.jpeg AE977965-6D6E-4805-AAEC-7AC5A751DFBA.jpeg A1FF3153-88B9-4625-88D4-49DF40198A74.jpeg

If you plan on selling it, you'll get more if it's in original condition. If you're going to keep it, resale value is moot and it is ultimately what your preference is. Being somewhat OCD, I'd like it in 'like new' condition - but that's me.

I believe that is an old “gallery gun” as used in shooting gallery’s at carnivals. It is one of the first take downs. Since it is both .22L and .22LR it maybe worth $350 - $500. If it were me I would make it shiny and new and use it to teach the kids and/or grandkids to shoot.

Nice find. I would clean it up the best I could without restoring it. Make sure it's mechanically sound. And have fun with it Like someone said above it's only original once.

I wouldn’t do anything but clean it regular, oil it and shoot it. 1903?! That rifle is covered in its own history, don’t put a blindfold on it. Much more interesting and unique when they have the scars and stains of almost 120yrs on this earth.

If it works shoot and enjoy it. That is what I would do. On the other hand if you are wound in that way that must make everything shiny and perfect, then make it shiny and perfect.

As others have said, it depends entirely on your objectives. If you are a collector who might someday sell for best return, leave it as is. If it is a shooter you'll keep forever, like things new and shiny, and can afford a full restoration, go for it.

I have a similar '06 Win pump, in similar condition. A blast to shoot, and I'll never sell, but so far I'm keeping it "as is."

Put a few hundred rounds through it. If it’s fun, you’ll probably want to keep it the way it is, functional and fun.

As others have said, it depends entirely on your objectives. If you are a collector who might someday sell for best return, leave it as is. If it is a shooter you'll keep forever, like things new and shiny, and can afford a full restoration, go for it.

I have a similar '06 Win pump, in similar condition. A blast to shoot, and I'll never sell, but so far I'm keeping it "as is."
Beautiful rifle. [thumbsup] Personally, I like it as is. If you are need it to look like new, you will need more than a reblue, that screw head and gouge on the receiver won't look better with new blue. To make it look like new, I believe you should send it to a professional and that costs $$. I doubt that $ value now + $ cost of restoration to correctly "make it look like new" will be greater than $ restored value in the future. If I spent the money needed to make it look like new, I would probably leave it in the safe. If I just skin-flinted a restoration and did it myself, it would look nicer but not just "like new". I would notice everything that was still wrong with it and I would be least happy with that result. Your choice but I am in the leave it original and enjoy it camp.

It looks perfect as it is... at least in my eyes. I wouldn't want it brand new and shiny, because then I'd be afraid to use it and scratch it. Even just moving it around in the safe could scratch it, so it would just taunt me.

Clean it, lube it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Dad always said rub some dirt on it and go back to work. I wouldn't do a thing but wipe it with some oil and shoot it. I like them with some battle scars to show they have been around. If you want new and shiny buy one and put that away for later

Back
Top Bottom