• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you do?

So I drive up to the train station today, park, and in the car next to me, is a guy sharpening his knife while waiting for the train to come in. The knife was probably a filet knife but it was a fixed blade and probably 6 or 7 inches long. What would you have done?

tenor.gif

I would have shot him!

Seriously, I likely would not have noticed, but if I did I would simply mind my own business.

I would have asked him what brand it was. Professional chefs can give good insights into such things.

I had a chef at a wonderful French restaurant in Boston talk me out of an expensive Wusthof set in favor of a much less expensive brand that I would have overlooked based on their marketing style... years later, very pleased!

Tough one. I would likely have minded my own business but chances are I would've, if possible, lingered awhile just to make sure.

I would have asked him what brand it was. Professional chefs can give good insights into such things.

I had a chef at a wonderful French restaurant in Boston talk me out of an expensive Wusthof set in favor of a much less expensive brand that I would have overlooked based on their marketing style... years later, very pleased!
Ok,,,, what’s the name brand of the knife you bought ?
Curiosity is killin’ me !

not my business. I would do nothing if I noticed. This is still a relatively free country...not really but it's supposed to be...

I would have nodded to him and went about my business. I guess I'm weird nowadays, but I don't look at a knife as a weapon without other indications. I see a knife as just part of my everyday pocket load, and (wrongly I know) assume that other men do the same.

I was at a mall, cutting a tag off my kid's toys, and the security guard informed me there was a no weapons policy - I pulled my shirt down to cover my pistol that I thought was printing, and it wasn't. Then I realized the guard was referring to my 1 1/2" mini trapper knife. I asked if he was serious, and was he demanding I leave. He mumbled, "no - I guess you're ok".
While people shouldn't freak out about a pistol, I realize they will. A knife - a non-locking, non tacticool, finger sized knife to boot - should be a revocation of a man card if you get nervous. Sorry OP.

Edit to add:

If he DOES become a threat with his knife, must continue to assess situation:
A) Is he threatening me?
B) Is he threatening my family?
C) Is he a threat only to the liberals around me?

Answer A or B I stop him, permanently if need be.
Answer C - I go about my business, bystanders should arm themselves - not worth my ammo

Ok,,,, what’s the name brand of the knife you bought ?
Curiosity is killin’ me !

Judge me or don't - they were CutCo knives and they're amazing. You -can- sharpen them yourselves or send them back for their proprietary edge to be restored; lifetime warranty. I was VERY skeptical as this was the early 2000s and they went door to door a lot in that era, but this chef (from France) said he'd thrown away Wusthof, Henckels and some fancy Japanese knives in favor of them.

I used to do a once a year sharpening, lubing, condition leather and so on for about 30 hunting, folding and assisted blades. I worked in a "creative" environment, i.e., snowflake mountain. Theres nothing like the sounds and sights of the precious ones walking by my office as I worked with a sharpening stone or steel.

By the way, MYOB.

So I drive up to the train station today, park, and in the car next to me, is a guy sharpening his knife while waiting for the train to come in. The knife was probably a filet knife but it was a fixed blade and probably 6 or 7 inches long. What would you have done?
are you f*cking serious with this question?

Judge me or don't - they were CutCo knives and they're amazing. You -can- sharpen them yourselves or send them back for their proprietary edge to be restored; lifetime warranty. I was VERY skeptical as this was the early 2000s and they went door to door a lot in that era, but this chef (from France) said he'd thrown away Wusthof, Henckels and some fancy Japanese knives in favor of them.
I answered a job ad once, over summer when I was in college, and got called in for interview. When I got there there were like 30 people in a room. I soon learned there was no interview but they (CutCo) were trying to scam me into joining their pyramid scheme.

Their knives are good (fine, nothing remarkable, but good enough), but they're a straight up 100% pyramid (multi level marketing) scheme.

They wanted me to buy a set of their knives for like $300 and use them as my demo set to go door to door. I just got up and walked out.

I would have definitely

pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna
And played soft soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah
Windshield wipers slappin' time, I was holdin' Bobby's hand in mine
We sang every song that driver knew

Did he look like this?

rick-wilson-cnn-640x480.jpg

Republican strategist Rick Wilson told conservative talk show host John Fredericks that he would gut him "like a fish" during an off-the-rails segment

We bought some Cutco knives last year they were at a food expo and had show pricing which was extremely cheap. Seriously sharp knives, excellent lifetime warranty and American Made!

My daughter sold Cutco 18 years ago in high school. She did well.

And yes, Frizzle Fry, she sold a big set to a restaurant owner.

We have a set at home. Great knives. Later I bought a Cutco fillet knife at the Newport Boat Show.

Also the scissors are awesome. We have a couple of pairs.

Back
Top Bottom