• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you do?

MALDENQB02

NES Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjk2fwnEA

I am sorry if this a dupe video....

I don't post much on here anymore. I am usually way too busy with work. anyways, I stumbled across this just now and a few questions ran through my head.

1. Would these people react the same way if this was a gun shop here in MA or in CA? I feel like in general a gun shop customer's opinion will not change regardless of what state your in. Just my opinion.

2. Do you feel like there is an "age appropriate" firearm to purchase for a child? I have a son on the way and I have often pondered at what age I would start introducing him to guns. Could be 5, could be 10, either way I personally would not start with an AR or a handgun but more of a basic .22 rifle. from there I would gradually work up.

3. If you were a gun store owner... would you kick that stupid woman out if they started questioning other customers in that manner?

Curious of your opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Bolt action .22 is how I plan to introduce my boys. Not sure what age, but they'll likely shoot at summer camps as kids.

2. Bolt action .22 is how I plan to introduce my boys. Not sure what age, but they'll likely shoot at summer camps as kids.

I agree with a bolt action .22. good rifle to teach. I am not sure how I feel about sending my kid to a summer camp to shoot with other people's kids. Who knows how they were taught.

Take every possible precaution and expect to remain diligent with those precautions until you are convinced the child is in control and understands what that means, and continue to closely monitor. .22LR is the obvious caliber to start with and work up from there. I would definitely avoid fully automatic weapons as many adult can't even handle them safely.

Disclaimer: I'm not a firearms instructor but I did stay in a Holiday Inn this year

Not all kids are ready at the same age. My daughter is 9 and loves my 10/22. Calls it hers. My brother son is 11 and bounces off the walls and can,t sit still he is not ready yet. A parent needs to know their kid and what they can handle.

First off....you will not find an anti in a gun shop like that unless they are just looking for trouble. So I doubt that confrontation would ever happen. second...my kid so if someone ever did approach me like that they would get the old eff off and die b#tch. third....my club starts the junior program at 8 and I think that is fine for a program, but a parent knows their child's maturity level better than anyone and they should know what their children can handle. So if they choose to start them at younger age...then I think do it. A child is never too young to learn gun safety and safe gun handling.

I had a cop friend years ago when I was first getting into hand guns. He is a Vietnam Vet and the first time i went to his house his wife and daughter were there. The daughter was about 4 and you could tell she worshiped her dad. So he took me down to his gun room in the basement and his daughter followed. He picked her up and sat her on the gun bench and un-holstered and unloaded his service Sig. She reached for it and asked to hold the gun at the same time. He told me that it is never to early to teach gun safety and that letting her handle the gun squelches her curiosity so she won't be tempted to handle the firearm without daddy there. She flipped the gun around a few times gave it back to her dad and he let her down off the bench and she went back up stairs with her mom.

We lost touch so the story ends there...but his logic makes sense to me. The younger the better and teach them good habits early on that they will remember that for life.

But back to the video...I would never buy my son (if I had one) a pink gun.

So for me, I have two daughters. They asked me when they were ready to shoot. I let them try my .22 bolt rifle. They love that. I am looking to get a semi .22 now. Probably an AR style or conversion kit for my A2. I want them familiar with AR's and Ak's but they don't like the noise or the recoil yet. But they both love shooting. My soon to be 14 year old cannot wait for that trip to the police station to apply for her FID. But I think I am more excited than she is...lol

Back
Top Bottom