• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what would you do in this case

I'm shocked that anyone stops for a receipt check. Any time one of those folks asks to see my receipt I just keep walking without saying anything.

The one time I did say something was at Best Buy at the Manchester Mall. I paid at the register and not ten feet later there's some dude at the door and he asked to check my receipt. It went like this:

Him: "Sir, can I check your receipt?"

Me: "Are you f^&(ing kidding me? I paid right there, not ten feet away."

Him:"Sir, I can't watch all the registers at the same time."

Me: "Try harder."

And I walked out.

I'm shocked that anyone stops for a receipt check. Any time one of those folks asks to see my receipt I just keep walking without saying anything.

The one time I did say something was at Best Buy at the Manchester Mall. I paid at the register and not ten feet later there's some dude at the door and he asked to check my receipt. It went like this:

Him: "Sir, can I check your receipt?"

Me: "Are you f^&(ing kidding me? I paid right there, not ten feet away."

Him:"Sir, I can't watch all the registers at the same time."

Me: "Try harder."

And I walked out.

How nice of you to abuse the guy who's trying make a living for something he has no control over whatever. He's doing exactly what he's told and paid to do.

If you don't like the policy then either don't shop there, simply (and politely) refuse to comply or go see the manager about it and register your anger at someone who gets paid to deal with it. The poor bastard at the exit was perfectly polite. You blasted him with profanity and rudeness.

Do you always talk to people that way? Or is it only people who you know can't answer back for fear of getting fired?

I informed the security at walmart in hadley of this once, they didn't believe me. The only reason I knew that this was the case was because I was good friends with the Loss Prevention people at the store I worked at.

It was snowing, and I was wandering around the store while waiting for a bus (car was busted). I had a backpack on (work cloths), and after leaving sporting goods was on my way out of the store. One of there goons stoped me (by grabbing my arm) and tried to get me to open my backpack.

Long story short, I told them to pound sand, they called the police and I had a talk with the store manager and police officer (who came out to talk to me at the bus stop). Officer sided with me (never even asked to look in the bag, he was a standup officer)

I got a gift card and a ride home by the officer (I missed my bus). I made it a point to go into that walmart, with my backpack on, every day for the rest of the winter. Hell, maybe ill do it again this week for old times sake! j/k

Really? A gift card and a ride home from the cop. He must have been a really good guy!

How nice of you to abuse the guy who's trying make a living for something he has no control over whatever. He's doing exactly what he's told and paid to do.

If you don't like the policy then either don't shop there, simply (and politely) refuse to comply or go see the manager about it and register your anger at someone who gets paid to deal with it. The poor bastard at the exit was perfectly polite. You blasted him with profanity and rudeness.

Do you always talk to people that way? Or is it only people who you know can't answer back for fear of getting fired?

Yeah, I typically talk to people like that.

I have an inability to keep my mouth shut at times. It's my cross to bear.

We don't chase anyone down, but anyone who comes back in gets their bag walked through the alarm thing by an associate. If it goes off, we say thank you come again, and if it doesn't, yet it goes off when they go through, we give them a dirty look because that's all we can really do.

That or I make a habit of directly asking if they stole anything "Hey! You didn't steal anything, did you?" Usually elicits a chuckle.

When I shop at WallyWorld, I chuck the receipt before I even encounter the greeter. If they ask, I say nope, sorry, don't have one.

Wierd things set it off, usually (I think prepaid) cell phones. We dont give it a second glance, theres really nothing we can do.

As for checking reciepts, the only place I go that checks them is BJ's because you cant see the registers from the doors, anywhere else they can go screw.

Yeah, I typically talk to people like that.

I have an inability to keep my mouth shut at times. It's my cross to bear.

You must live in someplace sissified. In my neck of the woods you would have already have the living shit kicked out of you. -Some people aren't that worried about losing a minimum-wage job.

You must live in someplace sissified. In my neck of the woods you would have already have the living shit kicked out of you. -Some people aren't that worried about losing a minimum-wage job.

Fail.

Why? Because in this economy, even minimum wage folks know it's an employer's market. And at FailMart or WorstBuy, the greeters aren't exactly strapping young jocks that are living on a trust fund who can afford to retaliate. No, those folks are seniors who are either in desparate need of a paycheck, or have nothing else better to do.

Let's do a quick rememberance of Walgreens. The employee who shot the thief was subsequently fired. You really think the receipt checkers are going to step up and stop someone? No Bill, 99% of the time, it's not worth the risk/effort if your job, as meager as it is, is on the line. They might be required to ask, but in no way are they required to reach out and grab/touch customers.

I would immediately ask them, "Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Do you have a dog, a little chow or something?
No Allen.
Is that a raincoat?
Yes it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody has been drinking "tough guy juice" again.

If you don't want me to berate you don't treat me like a criminal for paying your meager wages.

Ah, the memories of working loss prevention back in CA when I was a kid.

Back then we were allowed to stop someone and take them into a back room, but not to go through their possessions. We just had to ensure we kept anything they dropped or tossed along the way. Also, if we were sure enough to stop someone we had to have it on video (theft+stop) and we were able to use reasonable physical force to detain someone, along with pepper spray and a baton. All in all, the job sucked, the cops were really cool with supporting our loser behinds.

As a job it's too dangerous for the LP staff, and doesn't really impact theft rates.
(Dangerous: Company policy was that we had to wear class IIIA vests with a ceramic plate. That plate bent a knife someone tried to put in me. Not worth it over some merch.)

Not worth it over some merch.

Exactly. At my store, the real aim is to keep the small-time idiots scared enough to not do it, or to drop their stuff and run when the alarm goes off and someone comes over to check their bag.

You aren't going to stop anyone who's real intent on stealing stuff, from stealing stuff. You'd have to have a sworn, uniformed po-po in every aisle.

My mom works at Marshall's and there isn't always LP available. She will be working the floor and see people blatantly stealing or switching labels. When she reports it to management they usually don't even bother calling the cops. They just let them walk out with all their stolen shit. These companies don't want confrontation.

Back
Top Bottom