• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you buy?

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a hankering for a new handgun, not for any reason other than range use.

I hit a scratch ticket from a raffle basket for $2500, so I have a little leeway.

Looking at an AMT Automag III because I just like something about a .30 carbine handgun.

Or

A S&W Performance Center 460 XVR with a 12 or 14 inch barrel - just because I like the idea of something that can shoot a wide range of ammunition and be fun at the same time.

What does NES say I should get?

Unless you can shoot the Automag or are looking for a problem gun I would be very leery of the Automag.

I have 2. One shoots fairly predictably on American Eagle and some other brands. One I can not get through a magazine without at least 1 sometimes several FTF. FTE, stovepipes, etc. I talked to the guy who used to be the head of the AMT repair dept who said to ream the chamber. Apparently if the barrel was close under spec and used they shrunk after firing and cause problems with extraction.

I have 2 in case one needs a part I have something to measure against to make new parts.

I'm not saying don't buy one just make sure what you understand what you are getting involved with. Nothing more frustrating than a paperweight.

IDK it wouldn't be my first choice. Something like that after you get tired of it is worth about half it's value if you can find a buyer.

AMT bad juju had several 45s they never functioned. May be a nice Luger,there is an outfit making new Lugers in 45 acp,10 mm question is can you get one thru a Ma ffl.

Get the 460 S&W. Personally I would not shell out the extra clams for the Performance Center version but if you are really nuts about that version, why not? The 460 will fire .45 Colt with relatively low recoil and if you reload cast it will be on the cheap.

As much as I'd love to have a S&W 500 'just because', the 460 is WAY more versatile and due to the higher velocities the energy can be pretty close to the 500.

Get the 460 S&W. Personally I would not shell out the extra clams for the Performance Center version but if you are really nuts about that version, why not? The 460 will fire .45 Colt with relatively low recoil and if you reload cast it will be on the cheap.

As much as I'd love to have a S&W 500 'just because', the 460 is WAY more versatile and due to the higher velocities the energy can be pretty close to the 500.
The ability to shoot .45 LC, .454, .45 Schofield, .460 S&W, and (with a milled cylinder) .45 ACP and .460 Rowland is pretty cool.

That was my first choice anyway.

But if properly used, it can REMOVE the fingerprints. So it's got that going for it.

Did AMT ever make any guns that worked??? They were kings of cool on a lot of fronts. But it seems you hear WAAAY too many stories of their engineering not being tops.

I have had two Automag 3s, both always ran great and what a flame thrower but....getting spare mags can be a pain in the ass and if it breaks good luck getting parts for the damn thing. With that being said if one passed by me for the right price I would grab it...I have always been fascinated with the Automag series.

If I had that much cash I would look into something like a Wildey Survivor...always wanted one of those too!

I have a hankering for a new handgun, not for any reason other than range use.

I hit a scratch ticket from a raffle basket for $2500, so I have a little leeway.

Looking at an AMT Automag III because I just like something about a .30 carbine handgun.

Or

A S&W Performance Center 460 XVR with a 12 or 14 inch barrel - just because I like the idea of something that can shoot a wide range of ammunition and be fun at the same time.

I thought I would never say this ... a Hi-Point. You can pour concrete down the barrel and it won't break. LOL ... find the demolition ranch YouTube video.

Joking aside ...

If you can find the same SW that is not performance center, buy the non performance center version. Their performance center tag means sh*t today. SW quality checks have gone downhill, all their performance center guns are basically gun kits you need to finish. Might as well buy a non peeformance center and by the time you are done upgrading it, it will cost the same as a performance center.

If you want versatility, don't forget to look at the TC Encore and Contender. Barrels are around $350-400, and the frame should be around $400-500.
You can shoot a ton of calibers.

Doing some searches, I found people making barrels for the Encore that will shoot the encore calibers + contender calibers. So, depending on what you want to shoot, the Encore might be the best option. Do your research.

Bonus of the TC is, you get to flex on all the sh*tty AR shooters by hitting the 200 yard gong with a handgun when they can't hit a 100 yard gong and you make .40 owners cry.

Last edited:
I saw a Desert Eagle in 50 the other day for $1600.
In current times, the ammo is (only) twice as much as 9mm!

Always wanted to try the Automag in 30,let us know how it shoots if you buy it.

I have a hankering for a new handgun, not for any reason other than range use...
Looking at an AMT Automag III because I just like something about a .30 carbine handgun...

As you're probably aware, Taurus made a Raging Thirty revolver for a limited time.
It is a double action and has a 7 (or is it 8?) round capacity. Can't say I've ever seen one.

Nope,. Going to have approximately $1800

Damn, there goes my suggestion.

I'm saving up for my first revolver.

another-korth3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom