• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would happen if I used a weapon to defend myself against a wild animal?

I've seen coyotes three times over the last week or so on my street. I walk my dog at night and carry. There were two dogs killed recently in the next town over by coyotes. For the most part if they see me they run away and hide, but I'm curious what would happen if I were attacked and shot the coyote in self-defense? I know that there's a law around firing a weapon within 500 feet of a dwelling without the owner's permission, but what's the likelihood I'd be prosecuted under it?

Just to be clear, I have no desire to shoot coyotes, I think it's pretty unlikely I'd be attacked, and I'm not going to go out and try to pop one and call it self defense after the fact or anything like that.

My guess is the answer is going to be that prosecutors would probably throw the book at me and it'd be up to hiring a good lawyer, but curious if anyone knows about anything similar on the books.

What’s the Answer ? I live in a neighborhood where houses are closer than 500’. I have trail cam pics of these mutts just 20’ from my house. I leave early in the morning when it’s still dark. What happens if I’m confronted by a couple of them heading for my truck ? By the way I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot one with my bow but it won’t fit in my pocket

My sister has asked me about this very same scenario. I told her if it's life or death, definitely shoot the coyote. But you will have a bunch of legal fees...

Depends on the town and neighbors to a big extent if talking trouble wise. No way to say for sure but don't stop carrying because of that. Deal with ramifications after the fact. Knowing the outcome will certainly effect your decision to shoot. Let the situation decide instead.

I've seen coyotes three times over the last week or so on my street. I walk my dog at night and carry. There were two dogs killed recently in the next town over by coyotes. For the most part if they see me they run away and hide, but I'm curious what would happen if I were attacked and shot the coyote in self-defense? I know that there's a law around firing a weapon within 500 feet of a dwelling without the owner's permission, but what's the likelihood I'd be prosecuted under it?

Just to be clear, I have no desire to shoot coyotes, I think it's pretty unlikely I'd be attacked, and I'm not going to go out and try to pop one and call it self defense after the fact or anything like that.

My guess is the answer is going to be that prosecutors would probably throw the book at me and it'd be up to hiring a good lawyer, but curious if anyone knows about anything similar on the books.
In my experience it all depends upon your neighbors, and the law enforcement officer(s) they choose to call if they do. We've taken care of predators on our property twice. The first time, taking out a coyote with a SU-22, was no hassle whatsoever. One neighbor showed up to see if we'd gotten the coyote that had been stalking the neighborhood. The 2nd time a different neighbor called the local police when we took out a groundhog with a 22 mag rifle. It was a quiet evening and they claimed we'd used a shotgun . They rolled 2 cars and we got interrogated, but in the end nothing came of it.

pick up your brass.....keep walking
Not if you use a wheel gun...

giphy.gif

This isn't legal advice and I'm not a lawyer.

(1) People don't tend to call the cops on things they don't see or experience on their own property

(2) Most people charged with crimes like "discharge of a firearm in a confined area" are doing something else they shouldn't be doing, like:
*Drug dealing
*Poaching or hunting way too close to houses
*Getting into it with a neighbor or someone on the property and making a scene
*Gang-related shootings
*Are in a very confined urban area like Worcester or Providence or Dorchester, not in a wooded suburb

(3) G.L. c. 269, sec. 12E (a) exempts people who act in self-defense or defense of property from the 500 foot shooting ban:

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter269/section12e

(4) Know your target and what's beyond it

Just make sure you have your chicken nearby. I dont feel like looking up the statue right now, but you are legally allowed to protect fowl. The law is more in favor of protecting your chicken than in protecting you (or your dog, or cat or...). So get chickens and shoot away

Some excellent answers in this thread. Didn't think I'd actually find someone who'd shot predators on his property. Also interesting to see that it's not just me seeing coyotes. The full text does help a bit too. I'm sure if the neighbors are upset it'd cause an issue.

As far as keeping chickens, that's an interesting idea...

Also, here's the law that allows one to kill predators in defense of one's property: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section37

Note that there are wild animal worshipers trying to change this law to make it nearly impossible for citizens and farms to effectively protect their property and livelihood: Massachusetts Carnivore Conservation Act. They're using the typical ecological fear-mongering and anti-hunting hysteria to prioritize animals above human needs and interests. This section is the most ridiculous:
g) Whereas Massachusetts General Law Chapter 131, Section 37 allows livestock owners to kill predators because of perceived risk, the MA Carnivore Conservation Act will amend the law and protect listed carnivore species by only allowing carnivores to be killed after documented damage occurs and a permit is issued from a state wildlife official. Furthermore, farmers will be required to use good animal husbandry practices, including but not limited to, the use of guard animals, protection for new born animals, proper fencing and or fladry, and proper disposal of carcasses. Where evidence of non-lethal attempts to avoid predation (such as penning sheep, use of guard dogs or other guard animals, cleaning up after births, etc.) is noted, then permission to use lethal methods of removal may be granted.
This is not some roadrunner cartoon where I can tell the coyote or fox found in flagrante delicto of attacking our farm animals to stop while we contact the MassWildLife to have them cover over, survey our property and practices, and then hopefully grant me a permit to shoo them away. Ludicrous.

Some excellent answers in this thread. Didn't think I'd actually find someone who'd shot predators on his property. Also interesting to see that it's not just me seeing coyotes. The full text does help a bit too. I'm sure if the neighbors are upset it'd cause an issue.

As far as keeping chickens, that's an interesting idea...
I have a farm with Goats and Chickens. It has been necessary over the years to dispatch many predators. Yotes, fox, etc. The local PD know that if there is a report of gun shots in my area it is likely me defending livestock/fowl.

The worst was a bat shit crazy fox that had almost no fur from the mange being so bad.

Revolver and a pillow. Your going to a sleep over.

You can also try trolling the neighborhood with a steak tied to your bumper to guide them to a quiet place (with the revolver and pillow).

Back
Top Bottom