• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would Cause this too Happen

So I just got back from the range. I put about 200 through my gun today using a mix of Independence and Speer Lawman 9mm 115gr FMJ. When I got home and started cleaning I noticed the inside lip of my barrel looked like is was chewed up almost like it was ground in with pebbles. The only thing new is the Speer lawman ammo and the gun was never barrel down since i have owned. So what would cause this to happen I have enclosed some pictures .. I apologize in advance for them being blurry.....WORKING ON NEW PICS

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Too hard to tell with those pictures.

Is that your carry gun? Are you sure those weren't there before the range trip?

You can't tell anything with those pictures, so it could be anything, bad bore, rust and pitted bore, leading, copper, carbon. Take some pictures that are in focus

Its my One and only gun and Postiive it was not there because I clean after every shoot ... Its almost like its pitted like there was fine sand in the barrel and got blasted through

So you cleaned it and it still looks like that? Is there lead build up? I have the same gun and just ran a few mags of Lead and then Speer Gold Dot JHP through it and it made the barrel look a little funny. After cleaning it, it looked bright and shiny again

What would Cause this to Happen

New photos posted

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 40
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Use the "macro" setting on your camera to take close-up pictures. Most (not all) cameras have a selection for up-close pictures.

New Photos posted

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I noticed the SAME THING on the crown of my m&p 9c just the other day...no idea where it came from (bought the gun new). Does not seem to affect accuracy at all for me

what did you use to clean the barrel? Did you clean from the chamber end or the muzzle end?

Used Hoppes 9 cleaning kit and I start chamber side I clean the ramp first then push a clean soaked wipe through the barrel with the lil push rod and then I push it back through the other way as well then I run a dry wipe through it to get any left over out [thinking]

I noticed the SAME THING on the crown of my m&p 9c just the other day...no idea where it came from (bought the gun new). Does not seem to affect accuracy at all for me

I just dont want it to be the start of something and progress over time to the point the whole crown is pitted

If you are talking about the squarish notches they almost like like chuck marks from the original maching. I dont know about barrel manufactureing is there a chance these are machine marks that get filled with a spot weld and ground clean when the barrel gets crowned and on this barell the fill welds have failed. Sounds like a longshot but those marks look to uniform. If the square notches are not what your talking about and they are normal nevermind.

Is it the gun in your avatar?

Looks like lead fouling, but frankly, doesn't matter.

Clean barrel. Shoot gun off rest for accuracy test at like 25 feet (or further if you want). If it's still good stop worrying and move on with life. If it gets worse just send it into S+W at your convenience. At least, this is what I would do. I had lots of handguns that had funny patterns at the muzzle, although none were "real" damage. Didn't really affect them at all, as far as I could tell. The guns were all still more accurate than I ever would be.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom