• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What will you do in 2015 to prep? (was 2014)

Just got the Ilbe in. Its is basically new. Probably the most cost effective camping/BOB bag out there. I cant believe it was only 50 bucks. Definitely going to pick up the assault pack.

My sister gave my wife a beehive... the trick is that it's all FUN , not work.

a2daf5c91dacd378d3e610003451ca49.jpg

...Work on furthering relationship with Amish in the area of bug out location. ...

best shtf plan I've ever heard.

Note to self: If self wants this, start growing beard now. (It will take me a year, even for the Amish style).

Left over from last year:
Take a wilderness first aid course
Get winterseed patch
This year:
Spend more time with the kids in the woods. 2013 has been a ridiculously busy year with both my wife and I in school. We didnt get into the woods much at all.
Finish the reorg of our tac gear and train with it.
Add rabbits to the herd.
Run a half marathon.
Hit 5 4000'ers with the fam this summer.

Those are pretty good year-goals.

I'd like to just get in better shape, and get out more. I want to improve my skills with what tools I have on hand. I want to keep purchases to a minimum, but would think some good bow saw blades should go on the short list. I really want to have a good garden this year. Maybe think about building a chicken coop. Start getting firewood ready for next fall and winter. Need a new furnace and replacement windows (porch has just a storm window in one place). Need some good, reliable cars with decent tires. Should probably pick up some iodine tablets at CVS with the whole Fukishima thing that happened, just in case a bad wind comes around. I want to find a decent used bow, and learn to use it well. Working on my ice fishing tilts this week.

Last edited:
Continue getting stronger. Run another half. Do a tough mudder or something like it. Continue stocking up alternate location. Buy generator for said location. Learn how to icefish. Build shanty for ice fishing at alternate location.

Curious, and I always ask (since I have our answer and I'm looking to improve it). Do you know where you are bugging out to, and what happens in the 73rd hour?

No I do not, as I said I'm not much of a prepper but if I had to leave the house for whatever reason I just want a bag together for basic survival, I used the term 72 hour just because that seems to be the basics

Last edited:
No I do not, as I said I'm not much of a prepper but if I had to leave the house for whatever reason I just want a bag together for basic survival, I used the term 72 hour just because that seems to be the basics

The first item in that bag needs to be a Plan. You don't just go running out of the house with a backpack full of stuff you bought because some guys on the internet said that's what you need.

Develop a plan - identify the scenarios/threats you might face, figure out where you would go and how you would respond, then build a bag based on the tools and resources you'd need to implement that plan. Write your plan down, use it to create checklists, and do a dry run to try to sort out any shortcomings. You want to figure as much of this stuff out ahead of time, so you don't need to be thinking on the fly.

The first item in that bag needs to be a Plan. You don't just go running out of the house with a backpack full of stuff you bought because some guys on the internet said that's what you need.

Develop a plan - identify the scenarios/threats you might face, figure out where you would go and how you would respond, then build a bag based on the tools and resources you'd need to implement that plan. Write your plan down, use it to create checklists, and do a dry run to try to sort out any shortcomings. You want to figure as much of this stuff out ahead of time, so you don't need to be thinking on the fly.

I get what your saying, I'm just talking basic survival items (first aid, fire, food, water) I'd rather leave with something then nothing.

So I guess it would be if I had to go in the woods or if I was in a car and became stranded

Last edited:
I get what your saying, I'm just talking basic survival items (first aid, fire, food, water) I'd rather leave with something then nothing.

So I guess it would be if I had to go in the woods or if I was in a car and became stranded

You're not ever going to end up in "the woods." Ever.

You're not ever going to end up in "the woods." Ever.

unless roads are impassable, agreed

OK whatever, I gott a bag a shit in case I need it wherever I am. Thats about the extent of my prepping

Have gun will travel

My comments above were to encourage you to make a 'get home bag' to get home, and to plan where your bug-out bag will take you.

Because if you end up 'in the woods', someone may own those woods, and might not take kindly to you being in 'their' woods in a bug-out scenario.

I can speak with 100% certainty that I would not approve of anyone uninvited in 'MY' woods.

May the gods be with us all if that happens.

unless roads are impassable, agreed

My comments above were to encourage you to make a 'get home bag' to get home, and to plan where your bug-out bag will take you.

Because if you end up 'in the woods', someone may own those woods, and might not take kindly to you being in 'their' woods in a bug-out scenario.

I can speak with 100% certainty that I would not approve of anyone uninvited in 'MY' woods.

May the gods be with us all if that happens.
Even if I throw out the secret NES handshake?

OK I get it. And agree that the prepper thing has gotten out of control. As I said before I am not much of a one myself. I did put together a small GHB.

As far as a BOB that's something I'll work on, Im not the flight type and if SHTF (i dont try to predict what that may be)I plan to bug in, but if I gotta go I'd like a bag of supplies to make it a little easier

Last edited:
Even if I throw out the secret NES handshake?

OK I get it. And agree that the prepper thing has gotten out of control. As I said before I am not much of a one myself. I did put together a small GHB.

As far as a BOB that's something I'll work on, Im not the flight type and if SHTF (i dont try to predict what that may be)I plan to bug in, but if I gotta go I'd like a bag of supplies to make it a little easier

Well a decent "get home bag" should be able to double as a short term "bug out bag" so if your GHB is any good, you're all set, now work on preps @ the homestead.

Posted this in the "What have you done recently" thread before I saw this one...

I've challenged myself to learn one new skill each month in 2014. January will be learning to tie 5 new knots. Feb I'm enrolled in a fabric weaving class. Still thinking about the rest of the year, but I got a fancy new compass for Christmas so learning how to use that will be one month and probably getting my HAM radio license will be another. I think I'd also like to learn to kill and dress a chicken.

It's probably easier to buy a Barbie and dress that. You can pretend to kill it too.

I've started hunting in the last year. Lots.....lots.....lots to learn but you gotta start somewhere. Hunting anything....even squirrell takes some knowledge that you can only gain but doing it......not reading about it or youtubing it. I plan to continue that endeavor with successfully bagging rabbit.....turkey.......and a deer next fall (deer season was a bust this year).

Also I plan as many do on here to increase my ammunition supply to include shotgun ammo for hunting capabilities and more centerfire rifle carteridges for defense.

I have Quail for eggs. I want to raise some meat birds and learn how it goes. They hatch in like 18 days and in 8 weeks or so are ready for the grill.

Buy a Generac GP5500 generator and build a backfeed cable. Keeps the house warm, lit and the water flowing (although you can always tell when the well pump kicks in as the lights dim and the UPSs on the TV and computer both complain!).

Now... since it seems to want to use about 10 gals/day on a regular load, I need to get probably 6 5-gallon jerry cans. I know about ordering replacement nozzles, but does anyone have a particular brand of gas can they recommend? Or just get whatever I can find on Amazon?

I'm also going to get 3 7-gallon AquaTainers... in case, say, the well pump dies. That will give us (there are three of us living in the house) a gallon a day for a week. Flushing water we can get from the stream out back.

Buy a Generac GP5500 generator and build a backfeed cable. Keeps the house warm, lit and the water flowing (although you can always tell when the well pump kicks in as the lights dim and the UPSs on the TV and computer both complain!).

Now... since it seems to want to use about 10 gals/day on a regular load, I need to get probably 6 5-gallon jerry cans. I know about ordering replacement nozzles, but does anyone have a particular brand of gas can they recommend? Or just get whatever I can find on Amazon?

I'm also going to get 3 7-gallon AquaTainers... in case, say, the well pump dies. That will give us (there are three of us living in the house) a gallon a day for a week. Flushing water we can get from the stream out back.

if you don't rotate, don't forget Pri-G, and here's something that would get it done
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380854754011?item=380854754011&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

[/URL]

Last edited:
if you don't rotate, don't forget Pri-G, and here's something that would get it done
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380854754011?item=380854754011&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

[/URL]

We are planning on rotating - with a lawn tractor, three bikes and a snowblower there's plenty of places to use stuff as it ages. But the PRI-G is on order and should be at the house waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.

Interesting container. Bit pricey but probably easier to move around the property. Biggest PITA would be putting it in the trailer to drive up to the gas station.

Ya know, the more I look at this and consider, the more I like it. It's $220... but getting six 5 gal cans and replacement spouts is liable to be $30-$35 each... and at that point, we're at the same price. Plus... steel? Likely more sturdy, AND I don't have to hold a 5 gallon can up while filling.

Thanks, Jay. I think I may go for this!

We are planning on rotating - with a lawn tractor, three bikes and a snowblower there's plenty of places to use stuff as it ages. But the PRI-G is on order and should be at the house waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.

Interesting container. Bit pricey but probably easier to move around the property. Biggest PITA would be putting it in the trailer to drive up to the gas station.

Ya know, the more I look at this and consider, the more I like it. It's $220... but getting six 5 gal cans and replacement spouts is liable to be $30-$35 each... and at that point, we're at the same price. Plus... steel? Likely more sturdy, AND I don't have to hold a 5 gallon can up while filling.

Thanks, Jay. I think I may go for this!

up there in the woods, I think I'd like more than 3 days' worth of juice, so I'd either get a smaller inverter-type genny to run when you don't need 220 for the well, or else more stored fuel.

Actually, just talked it over with Ali. Loaded, that thing's nearly 300 lbs - and our driveway slopes. Getting it from garage to house where the hookup will be will NOT be fun. I think we're going to look at 5-6 gallon cans again and some sort of pump. Maybe make a small wheeled dolly to move them around on.

Actually, just talked it over with Ali. Loaded, that thing's nearly 300 lbs - and our driveway slopes. Getting it from garage to house where the hookup will be will NOT be fun. I think we're going to look at 5-6 gallon cans again and some sort of pump. Maybe make a small wheeled dolly to move them around on.

buy this trailer http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?rcpNum=5688-01&search=Trail and move it with the quad/lawn tractor

we have a similar one from sears and we haul way more than 300 pounds with the quads hauling cut up deadfall from off the trails

Getting it in and out of the trailer will be a problem. Not to sent driving the lawn tractor down a half mile of state highway to fill the tank.

Picked up a few more things for my walk home bag, got a hand saw the one that folds open and locks. Picked up another Sawyer drinking straw and at the salvation army a set of insulated coveralls. They are a canvas material and are insulated, very warm and cheap only 12.00 dollars.

2015 will be more of the same as each day I feel we are coming closer to using what we are preparing for.

Jason.

Well, one of my preps just got used.

I'd picked up a portable car starter - one of those battery packs you can carry around in your car. Car had been sitting for most of the week when I wanted to go somewhere on Monday. Grabbed the pack out of the back, hooked it up and it started right away.

Now need to get a new battery for the car, obviously.

BTW, THIS is why I prep. Not for the zombacalypse, not for Red Dawn scenarios, not for TEOTWAKI... but for a foot of snow (not uncommon in VT), for several days of cold weather, for a power outage... Like the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared!

I got a dehydrator and a grain mill for Christmas to add to my preps, plus we ordered wheat so we can start experimenting. My list is starting to get smaller. Lol

Back
Top Bottom