• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What was your first?

The first one I paid for was a Sig ultra compact 1911. It was beautiful. I eventually sold it to invest in a Dillon 550b, which is much more useful and something I don't see myself ever getting rid of. My first was my dads hand-me-down 870 wingmaster. It's got lots of character and I'll never sell it.

marlin model 60, bought it used, is one with the longer barrel, longer mag tube and has the bolt hold open. didn't know there were ones that were slightly different at the time i bought it, but was glad i got what i got

Mine was a redhead too!

A S&W mod 19, 2-1/2 barrel, in nickel. Paid $150 for it from a fellow Woburn Sportsman member. I was 19yo....you could have a LTC at 18 back then, but couldn't make a purchase from a FFL dealer

Lee Enfield No4Mk1, from a buddy of mine with a kitchen table FFL, probably 1988 or so. Big money, think it might have been $125. Sold it when I replaced it with a Savage No4. It's the gun that convinced me to get a C&R, which my credit card company has really appreciated.

My father had given me a couple slide action 22's and a shotgun, but I didn't buy them myself. I picked up a Beretta 92F in 1989 at a pawn shop in New Orleans while in college. Sold it when I left Louisiana.

Marlin Glenfield Model 25 bolt action .22 rifle...I bought it the day Stan Holtz and his wife Sandy opened the Village Gun Store in Whitefield, NH in 1974. I don't even remember if my dad had to sign for me...I was 16...I plunked the hard earned $100 down on the counter which bought me the rifle (with a 4X scope) and 2 bricks of .22LR. That's when a brick of 22LR was $5 a brick.

I still have the rifle....

A few months later a friend of my dad's was selling almost everything he owned and moving to Florida. He sold me a Marlin 12g Model 90 O/U shotgun made in the 50's for $75. I still have that too...not many partridges, squirrels, rabbits and woodcock have escaped that shotgun.

Last edited:
I was ~21...got my first real job...and bought a Llama Omni in 9mm.... [shocked] It was a cheap, double stack 9mm...that didn't jam that much.... [wink] ...after about a year a bought a Sig 226. [smile]

Charter Arms AR-7, because I could easily hide it from my anti-gun parents! 2nd gun was Colt triangular stock AR-15, for $299 at Ivanhoe's in Watertown. 1st handgun was Ruger Security Six from Gun Room in Shrewsbury. These were bought on my 18th and 21st birthdays respectively.

Bought a Mossburg 500 combo 12 gauge at Service Merchandise when I moved into a crappy apartment in Woburn in 1985, $189. My son just moved into a crappy apartment in Philly and just took it with him.

I was 18 and I bought a Marlin 39a .22 lever gun. I still have it 32 years later and now it's worth about 6x's what I paid for it. Not that I would ever sell it.

Best damn .22 ever made, well at least that I have ever seen. My dad had one but his brother lent it to his idiot friend who destroyed the stock trying to club a rabbit after shooting it rather than use another round. 22's probably cost less than a penny back then too. Not knowing what he had decades later we took it to a gun shop and sold it when we discovered the stock was not cheap to replace. Big mistake.

Anyway, my first was a brand new Remington Fieldmaster pump .22. Man was that thing pretty and accurate. I was about 16, around 1986 and I wanted a 10/22 but my dad didn't want me to have a semi-auto as my first gun. Because of that I never really loved the Remington and traded it later for a SKS. Yeah, I know, another big mistake. Live and learn.

My first was the CZ P-07 in 40. Got it when I was 23 and got my CCW a couple months later

(not my picture)

VpPgn50.jpg

Love my Dad but I can't wait til I get my LTC-A so I can get my damn gun back from him!

Bought two at roughly the same time when I was 18, can't remember which came first anymore. A Remington 870 Express 12 gauge and a sporterized .303 Lee Enfield. Hunted deer, ducks rabbits you name it for many years with those two guns. Still have them both but I haven't shot the Enfield in many years. The 870 has been my go to for 36 years including my only buck of the year last year. I have beat the snot out it, dropped it in the ocean, I sit on it to keep my ass dry if need be. It's well loved and has never failed me. Well once but that was my fault, got it wet in a salt water marsh and didn't clean it well enough. Next duck trip I pulled up on a inbound flock of mallards and the firing pin was rusted solid, no click, nothin! That was after humping a mile back into a marsh in the dark with 2 dozen deeks to get a prime spot. I was pissed....at myself. My buddy enjoyed the lack of shooting competition for the day though.

In 1978 I was 14 and there was no shortage of firearms in our house.

My father had a full gun rack and my uncle was in between houses for a bit so I had his guns hanging in my bedroom.
Mossy 500,28" VR Mod.
Savage 22/410
Remington 700 22/250
Savage 20 ga.
M1 carbine

My Uncle John eventually came and got his guns but he let me keep the Mossberg and the 22/250. Still have them both. Killed my first buck with the 500 when I was 16. Have a 1970's Weaver scope on the 700. Need to get that out and tune it up.

First gun I ever bought for myself was a Crossman 760 at Service Merchandise in Ithaca, NY, 1976. Followed by Ruger .44 mag, Creek Side Gun Shop, Candidagua, NY, 1989. Used lots of hand me downs and family guns until I was earning some $$ and could buy my own. And a few years where I enjoyed the stuff the US Army let me play with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom