• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What was your first?

In the late 80s I hit a scratch ticket for $1,000. As it was close to deer season, I bought a used Browning A5 12 ga. from a local dealer that had a shop in his basement. I paid $400 it came with the vector choke system bird barrel. I later bought a deer slayer barrel for it.
I still have that gun,pretty much a safe queen now. ;)
She's still a beauty.

M9130 Mosin Nagant, Tula armory, 1939 manufacture. I was 22, bought it from a member here who was a cool guy. Best $100 I ever spent.

Off topic, but every member I've ever met from here has been wicked cool.

Sears in Peabody. Ted Williams M200 12ga pump shotgun that turned out to be a Winchester 1300 made for Sears. Some time around 1976.

Rossi .357. I was in my early 20s, and bought it at a dealer in Cape Coral, FL where I was living at the time. Sold it at a...gasp...gun show a few years later to help finance another purchase before the Clinton ban went into effect in '94.

S&W Model 10, 6" barrel, as soon as I was old enough. Probably from Neverfail. I'd owned a Winchester Model 75 .22 with target sights since I was 11 and in a Jr Rifle program, but I didn't purchase it. Lost both in a terrible Ski-do accident on Lake Char*gogg*a*gogg*man*chaugg*a*gogg*chau*bun*a*gung*a*maugg when I misjudged the ice.

Edit- no clue why the system put red asterisks in!

What was the first firearm you bought for your self? How old were you when you bought it? I got my FID card in 1970,I just turned 18, went to Bruce Richardsons' Frontier Gun Shop in Downtown Danvers Ma. Bought a really nice Marlin 7 shot lever action .44 mag, for $98 , to go deer hunting with my older brother who just returned home from his tour in the Marines. Still have it and it's one of my most prized possessions.
Remington 10/22 1989

Remington model 597, bought it in 1997 when I was 17. it was the only gun I could afford. And a year later with new gun laws, I couldn't buy ammunition many places in MA because .22 can be used in a pistol. hahahaha

Remington pump 12 gage bought in 1962 when I was 12 years old. Cost $69.00 at the True Value Hardware in Freeport Minnesota. Bought a box of shells with it to go duck hunting.

I was 18 and bought a Type 53 with a cracked stock at KTP. After realizing the stock was beyond repair, I threw an Archangel stock on there. Best shooting rifle I have :)

My dad's planning on giving me a M1911 that one of my family members served with back in WWI. Every guy in the family has carried that pistol at some point

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I was 21 and bought a fullsize MP 9mm. Realized quickly that you acquire these things at exponential rates.

just turned 60, and since i grew up in dorchester in the days when nobody had a ggggguuunn, i'm too embaressed to tell.

total is up to 10 though.

Last edited:
It was in 1993, in Albuquerque, New Mexico - a really nice family owned shop called 'Charlie's Sporting Goods. A S&W 637. No longer have it.

18 y/o, Mossberg 500 persuader, pistol grip, heat shield. Got it cause I was 18 and it looked cool, already had hunting arms passed down but that was the first I ever bought.

Bought a Winchester 190 rifle at Lechmere Sales, I was 29 yo. Quickly found out that it wasn't the best gun to learn to shoot accurately and sold it, bought a Mossberg 144LS bolt action rifle instead and still have it.

Ruger Speed Six .357 with 2 1/2" barrel from AAA Police Supply in 1979. It was too heavy for me to carry all the time and I sold it and bought a S&W 37 about a year later.

Technically not "mine" since I was 15, but it was my money. Got two within a month or two, not sure which was first.
Savage/Anschutz forget the model (.22), and a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Two of the reasons I now advise you should never ever sell a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom