• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What was your first?

PL-52

NES Member
In my own little world, minding my own business
What was the first firearm you bought for your self? How old were you when you bought it? I got my FID card in 1970,I just turned 18, went to Bruce Richardsons' Frontier Gun Shop in Downtown Danvers Ma. Bought a really nice Marlin 7 shot lever action .44 mag, for $98 , to go deer hunting with my older brother who just returned home from his tour in the Marines. Still have it and it's one of my most prized possessions.

I was 19 and it was 1980. I went to K-Mart in Billerica and bought a cheap Brazillian made 12 gauge OU shotgun. Still have it but it has been a safe queen for 30+ years. Set me back a whopping $90.

That gun had the distinction of being called one of the worst shotguns every made.

Kmart Boito Double: The Blue Light Special
Kmart sold these Brazilian double-trigger side-by-side shotguns for a little over $100 in the 1970s and early ’80s, which even then was practically nothing. They were made of stamped, soft-metal parts that bent, broke, and wore out easily. The stocks and forearms often developed cracks after only a few boxes of shells. In short, they were everything you’d fear a Kmart gun might be.

001_boito_o-u_12ga_16652_right.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I paid for a Browning T bolt in 1974-75, but as I was 11 so dad had to actually pay the tab. First on my full tab was Remy 870, then Sig 226

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was 23 and i bought a sig P250c in .45. Still have it. I dont plan on ever getting rid of it since it was my 1st

Some really, really old single shot shotgun that I bought because the wife and I were going backcountry camping in Colorado. I was on a super tight budget. It was all I could afford.

I was 18 and I bought a Marlin 39a .22 lever gun. I still have it 32 years later and now it's worth about 6x's what I paid for it. Not that I would ever sell it.

I was 15 when I got my FID and took my money and mom to Caldors for a Marlin tube fed 22 semi. She could buy it without an FID, the good old days. Still shoot it almost 40 years later.

It's amazing, and sad to read so many people mention hardware stores and Kmarts where they bought their first gun. Boy have times changed.

Anyway, I'm only 28 so my first gun was a full size M&P fortay. Still have it along with a 9mm conversion barrel....haven't shot it in quite some time. Bought in 2010 if my math is right.

18, 1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30, $120 from Bullseye Shooting Supplies in Woonsocket. My second gun was a .357SIG Gen 3 Glock 31 and I bought it on my 21st birthday from a now-closed gun store in Johnston, RI. I liked the caliber for fun's sake, didn't like the gun.

Colt Detective Special with shroud - 6-shot snubby covering the ejector rod. Paid $85 and still have it.

Last edited:
Just got my ltc after turning 21. Bought a Beretta 92fs in '03. Martin Riggs and John McClane inspired me.

My dad took me down to the K-mart in North Charleston, SC and I used some of my savings to get a single shot 12 ga. for something like $79.00. I think I was 14 or 15 years old. My dad still has the gun in his closet today since I moved away in my 20s (to NJ[frown]).

I need to look into what I need to do to get it up here to MA. I'm guessing I could have my dad ship it to a FFL. Can someone PM me if they have advice on this? She was my first so it's more sentimental than anything great.

My first firearm was an M14.

I didn't really buy it...the Army issued it to me. The American taxpayers paid for it.[wink]

But it was mine when it was mine, and was the most reliable rifle I ever shot.[smile]

My first firearm was an M14.

I didn't really buy it...the Army issued it to me. The American taxpayers paid for it.[wink]

But it was mine when it was mine, and was the most reliable rifle I ever shot.[smile]

We want details! [rofl]

H&R, Winchester, Springfield? Reminds me of talking to my dad about IHC Garands - he said "oh great, shit spreader Garands."

Back
Top Bottom