• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What was the first gun you BOUGHT

A Remington 7400, 30-06 from the Monkey Wards catalog store on Main St in Rockland, ME, circa 1982 (?). Had to get my dad to actually buy it because I was under 18.

My first guns were an old black powder pistol which has long since frozen up and a Sears 12 ga shotgun which I still have.I was around 17 or so and got them at a tag sale. LOL. My first legal gun was my 9 mm Taurus PT99AF blued with cherry wood grips.I still have that too.

A few days after I turned 18 (mid '60s), I bought a well-used Western Field 12 ga. pump gun at a boating/sporting goods store on Falmouth Harbor. Western Field was a brand sold by Monty Ward, and this particular gun - as I found out years later - was manufactured by Noble. It served me well for many years, including one memorable double on grouse at a location in North Falmouth that's now a housing development. I still have it, but it eventually developed a headspace problem due to some peening of [cheaply manufactured, I'm sure] parts due to all the shooting it had seen, so it doesn't get shot any more.

Beretta 92FS - April of this year. Man, I had no idea how much fun this hobby would be.

My first gun was a British Enfield 303 from WWII. At the time you could buy (IIRC) 8 to a case for $15 each. They came in a wooden crate, that would cost more than $15 today, all wrapped in cosmoline paper. I think they were shipped out of Burma. Ah, the good old days when you could buy guns through the mail.[smile]

British 303 No.4 Mk1. Saved my stall cleaning money all summer and bought it as a present to myself for my 11th birthday. Killed a few deer with that rifle over the years. It was my 2nd gun, but the first that I actually bought myself.

My first gun was given to me by my father on my 10th birthday. It was an old Century Arms Bearcat single shot .22 that his dad gave him when he turned 10. I still have both of them.

The Bearcat .22 is in desperate need of a smith, as it has been shot so much that something in the trigger mechanism is worn out. Trigger has become so sensitive you can touch it with a feather and it'll go off. Ejector doesn't work any more either and the bluing is completely gone. I plan to have it completely refurbed before it goes to my son on his 10th birthday.

Bought my first gun in 1994.
It was a Glock 17.

The unfortunate part is I bought it from Al Reedy in Amherst.
I was a stupid kid and he screwed me out of the second magazine.
The SOB knew he could sell the hi-cap magazines for big money (the AWB was just starting).

Not counting the BB gun I bought when I was 10, my first real gun was a Stevens bolt action, tube feed .22 repeater. Purchased at a Western Auto hardware store in Winthrop ME in 1964 when I was 15. No questions asked! Rifle and two boxes of shells, less than $25!

At age 12, Mossberg 320B single shot 22. Dad paid half, I paid half. Still have it, a good $12 investment.

Ordered it at Lock's Gun Exchange in Philly which was not far from the then operating Frankford Arsenal and Sears HQ. Lock's is still in business, Frankford Arsenal is long gone, Sears HQ moved to Chicago.

Last edited:
A Jap type 99 rifle that I found back in 1972 when my parents were remodeling the basement of our new home and this rifle was behind the paneling.

Last edited:
M&P 9mm standard size August of this year. As a fellow NESer said, I didn't know how fun and expensive this hobby can get LOL.

first gun I purchased with my money was Rem 870 still have it and been flawless. birds,deer,rabits,targets
first rifle 2nd gun was russian sks for a whopping 79.00 along with a free case of corrosive ammo.

Para-Ordinance P14-40
I really liked this gun, unlike all the complaints you hear about a P.O. this was a solid shooter. It never had any problems but weighed a ton to carry on my person. I had it for a few years after that as a range gun but eventually got rid of it towards something new.

Sig Mosquito a couple years ago. Was shooting it this last weekend along with the others that this addiction has brought on [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom