• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What was Pre-Madness Pricing for Ammo?

You are going to get sick.

Don't recall exactly when but in 2000-2004 timespan, both WM and Dickless were selling WWB/Rem 9mm FMJ (brass cased) for $8.99/100. I remember my distaste when it went to $9.99/100.

Bulk .22LR HV was ~$13/550 at WM as I recall.

I remember buying at those prices. I remember the veteran shooters telling me that those prices were ridiculously high and I should start reloading.

When we were kids we'd grab a box of .22 at the hardware store on the way to the sand pit .
45 cents a box [sad2]
Shit, Some days I feel old.

In approx. 2006-2007 I was complaining that ammo prices were going up when I bought 500 rounds of .45 for $139. 9mm was $59 for 500.

Brass case .223 was $1.99 for 20.

Almost makes you want to cry.

This thread is ****ing depressing.

This thread is the reason why I haven't been to the range in almost 2 years. I know what ammo is worth, and it is nowhere near the hyper inflated prices you see today.

$20 worth of fuel gets me a full weekend of wheeling in my CJ7. $20 worth of 9mm won't fill the drum in my Suomi.

In 1998 I bought 1000 rounds of chi com 769*39 for $100. I saved 100 rounds.
Oh by the way I paid $100 for a chi com sks

$200 and lots of fun.

a few years ago when I was still in Tennessee a LGS always had the Golddot 9mm +P's at a price point that often made it a wash to use it as practice ammo versus FMJ stuff. I'm sitting here crying while I think about those days. :(

I wonder what this thread will look like... in ten years.

god this thread makes me sick. i remember the good ol days were not that long ago. I'm only 29 and i can remember just about all of these prices listed.

thank god for casting and reloading. with the last deal i got on primers i can load 1000 rounds of 45 cap for approximately $44.15 (lead and brass was free or old recycled)

i can't imagine not being able to cast and reload. i wouldn't be able to afford to shoot.
i was horrified after the first election when 22 became available and i pad about $24 for a brick. i would love to find 22 for that price now.

Before the president's second election prices had gone back a bit. 9mm FMJ was about $10-12 for Blazer, WWB, etc.
Also you could often get case discounts. Most of my ammo was bought long enough ago to make me cry when I see a price tag on it as replacing it these days is at least half again for FMJ and two to three times the price for self defense ammo.

psst: Can you do me favor? Most of us come here to not refer to him as "The President". Every single holder of the office before him, whether I liked or disliked him or his policies, at least I didn't get physically ill when referring to him as "the president" .....or, for some of us it's even worse to hear "Commander in Chief"....
He's the POTUS. (minus the "T" and the "U").

psst: thanks

god this thread makes me sick. i remember the good ol days were not that long ago. I'm only 29 and i can remember just about all of these prices listed. thank god for casting and reloading. with the last deal i got on primers i can load 1000 rounds of 45 cap for approximately $44.15 (lead and brass was free or old recycled) ..i can't imagine not being able to cast and reload. i wouldn't be able to afford to shoot.
i was horrified after the first election when 22 became available and i pad about $24 for a brick. i would love to find 22 for that price now.

Huh? You CAN find 22 for that price ($24) now.
22 rounds = $24 !!!
[crying]

Huh? You CAN find 22 for that price ($24) now.
22 rounds = $24 !!!
[crying]

you're right. i saw boxes of 100 cci going for $18 last week and random boxes of 50 going for about $9
i was glad i grabbed 2K primers at the store i went to before that.

I wonder what this thread will look like... in ten years.

After this tyrant is finished eviscerating the Constitution? And his hand-picked successor, Deval Laurdine Patrick is in HIS second term? We won't even have a forum like this. Cuz not only were guns banned, so was any discussion about them....First graders making the mistake of chewing their Pop-Tarts into the shape of a g-g-g-GUN are sent to concentration camps in northern Minnesota where fat middle-aged white guys who used to own guns work as janitors. JayZee is Secretary of the Treasury. Starbucks is bigger than Fidelity and Chase combined. All are now owned by the Chinese.

etc etc etc

How much lower do you guys think ammo prices will go? I know people mention Obama & crew as the cause of high ammo prices, but I think it's also the Fed's devaluation of the dollar driving up the price of metals and chemicals. So I don't think prices will ever go back to even 2007 level.

They are not the cause of high prices..

The cause of high prices are due to the anount of new shooters that happens before and after each election.Those new shooters buy everything at inflated prices, so the retailer charges more and more until people stop buying it.

The ONLY reason 22 is so expensive right now is because idiots are buying it at those high prices.Idiots stop paying those prices, they will go down in price..

How much lower do you guys think ammo prices will go? I know people mention Obama & crew as the cause of high ammo prices, but I think it's also the Fed's devaluation of the dollar driving up the price of metals and chemicals. So I don't think prices will ever go back to even 2007 level.

Last edited:
In 2005 I sold reloaded 9mm 115gr FMJ for $5 a box. Today I charge $15 a box. Price includes all taxes (Fed excise and State tax). % margin is the same as in 2005...everything just costs more these days...

The cause of high prices are due to the anount of new shooters that happens before and after each election.Those new shooters buy everything at inflated prices, so the retailer charges more and more until people stop buying it.

The ONLY reason 22 is so expensive right now is because idiots are buying it at those high prices.Idiots stop paying those prices, they will go down in price..

A new shooter buys what, 50 rounds here and there? I don't see that's much of a factor.

I think a big factor is all the police forces around the country gearing up for whatever, civil war? And homeland security. They're buying up all the ammo before it even reaches the store.

This...but...Same can be said for anything in a free market based economy. Everyone whines, complains, pisses and moans about the brutally exorbitant ticket prices at Fenway Park, yet the place sells sh*tty seats for $75-100 a pop and the place is sold out, One of the "charming" ballparks in the country, a shrine, yet sit 9 innings in those seats and you have to call into work sick the next morning to get yourself fixed at a chiropractor.
If people didn't go, the prices would come down. Back when the Bruins sucked and everyone hated Jeremy Jacobs and the attendance dropped so badly that Jacobs resorted to changing the color scheme of the seats so that some were black, mixed sporadically into the gold ones. They used the "line" that it was the Black & Gold representing the Bruins colors, yet it was done in uneven patterns to give the impression/illusion to TV viewers that the black ones had bodies in the seats. The place was dead, and you can ask the beer and hot dog vendors to confirm. So Jacobs & Co dropped ticket prices and the fans began to (slowly) return. Then, when they got better talent and the games were exciting (and winning!), the fans returned in droves... they won the Cup and prices were back to exorbitant.

If everyone stopped drinking all Anheuser-Busch products for 6 months, the price of a sixpack of Bud would go down to $3 bucks. I used to take my daughter and/or friends shooting weekly, then went to every other, then monthly, etc. I remember back at the height of the insanity after Sandy Hook, took a good friend up to Mass Rifle for the afternoon. My invite, my guest, and I was raised in a way that I simply never let a guest pay for anything. I invite you out for dinner, don't even think of going for your wallet...So we had a blast, he had never shot anything more than his Dad's old 22 rifle, etc...Shot Glocks, SW, etc... .40s/9mms (especially these!)/.22s/.38s ....At the end of the day I figured out the entire afternoon had cost me about $400 bucks. I quickly realized for that price I could've had a couple of fairly good-looking hookers for a few hours...

Or one incredibly wild, hot one that looked like, oh, maybe Cheryl Cole (saw her for first time on TV the other night, wife was watching "X-Factor"...I had no idea who she was....now I do!..cute little English accent...damn, she is a smokeshow!!)
cheryl-cole-hot-photo.jpg

I was in a gun shop in England last week (that's right...ENGLAND as in UK, Britain, etc...) and saw a 20 round box of Fiochi 223 55gr PSP in a locked cage with a price tag of 20.95. That's 20 Pounds 95 pence or about $34 using today's exchange rates. $1.70 a round. Things ammo/component-wise over there are just as bad as they are here...probably worse.

I was in a gun shop in England last week (that's right...ENGLAND as in UK, Britain, etc...) and saw a 20 round box of Fiochi 223 55gr PSP in a locked cage with a price tag of 20.95. That's 20 Pounds 95 pence or about $34 using today's exchange rates. $1.70 a round. Things ammo/component-wise over there are just as bad as they are here...probably worse.

Since it's the UK, they probably have an amazing tax figured in to it.

Back
Top Bottom