• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What type of shotgun is ideal for Trap shooting?

I have a Mossy 500 Persuader Tactical model with 6 pos stock. I am assuming that this type of 12g is not "ideal" for trap shooting, so my question is, what is? What model shot guns are ideal for trap shooting? I am new to trap so I don't want anything super expensive, but something that will work well.

Thanks

The answer is basically "whatever works." I've seen people with single barrel box locks, bolt action 12 gauges, 5 shot auto loaders, etc. who shot dead nuts. If you want pure function and ease, go with a nice auto loading (I suggest a browning A-5) 20ga or 16ga. 20ga. or 16ga. will help your shoulder. I'm a purist, so british doubles are my go to trap guns.

A shotgun that is "built for trap" will typically have a 30" to 34" barrel, a high post target rib with mid bead, removable chokes, and either a Monte Carlo stock, or one with an adjustable comb.

I do agree, you can break birds with just about anything, but a dedicated trap gun will break more birds for you.

I shoot Trap with either a Beretta 391 target, or a Browning BT-99. Both are great Trap guns.

for the most part a "trap gun" will shoot higher than POA. Trap shooting is targets always going away and on the rise. So ideally you want some type of vertical lead ie. Higher comb/rear sight. Bring what you have and give it a try. modified choke is good.

Barrel length is not important only in balance and swing feel. sight radius means nothing. You do not aim a trap gun.

Last edited:
Just go get a 24-28", 2 bead, vented rib barell for your 500. There's usually at least a few of those used kicking around in every gun shop I've ever been in for $50-$100. That way if you try it and don't like it, you're not out much money (I don't think that should be a problem though).

We have a youngster who shoots a remington 870 with a speedfeed pistol grip 28" barrel gun. He does fine. Trap is like anyother sport. Just want to go and have some fun. Get a 28" or 30" barrel for your current set up. Maybe even a wood stock. both can be found used at little money.

Like any other gun. Gun fit is key.

A few exsamples: If the pitch of the gun stock is to + or - you will notice some cheak slap and shoulder pocket bruiseing.

Also if the toe of the recoil pad is canted in twards your body. After 25,50,75 shots this will become noticeable. When in the field you shoot 2 shots then reload and might take a few more later.

To start bring what you have get used to the format and have fun. While you are there you will see many types of guns and opinions. Try some other shooters guns. Most will let you try if you just ask.

Best advice. Keep a solid mount of the gun, see the target follow with the eyes. The gun will follow. Keep your eyes on the tarket the entire time NO SIGHTS NEEDED.

Also "trap" guns tend to be on the heavier side to combat the effects of recoil. Compition trap you typically shoot 500rounds day

Last edited:
If I where you I would find a 870 or 1100 remington trap used. You can re sell for dam close to what you paid if you find trap is not for you. I for fun sometimes bring my slug barreled 1300 and use #9 winchester low noise low recoil rounds. For those that dont know they wonder what the hell Im shooting. These loads sound like bloopers. @ 16yard line they smoke targets though.

I shot trap for 3 years with 870 express. Won several Club leagues with it.

I have since gone to a Browning Citori Ultra XT O/U trap with 30" barrels.
I also have a PFS left handed stock http://precisionfitstocks.com/

Like any shooting sport, how much your addiction gets you[smile]

something like this http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72789, the browning he has is nice also.

more eye candy for shotguns......my next "trap" gun might be a joel etchen combo! http://www.joeletchenguns.com/

Last edited:
Went to Dicks's today and saw a Stoeger Condor 12g over/under for 350.00 on sale. These type of 12g are what I see most when I watch the guys shooting clays and what not. Is this is decent starter 12g for clays? I believe the Stoeger line is owned by Benelli.

The secret to buying a shotgun is fit. If you have to adjust it to your cheek, shoulder or line of eyesight you don't want it. I've picked up a lot of shotguns and knew right away I couldn't use it effectivly. Too heavy, stock is too long, stock is too short, barrel is too heavy all sorts of different things. Every one is built differently.

You want to find a shotgun that when you pick it up, go's right to your shoulder and gives you a fast line of sight. Swings fast and isn't to long or heavy for you.

Go to a gun shop with a lot of used shotguns walk the rack picking them up. Used shotguns are a great deal you can find a great one for short money. Don't limit your selection try them all. A 20 gauge that fits you is more effective than a 12 gauge which doesn't fit you.

Hold the shotgun down at waist level and snap it up to your shoulder. It has to go right to your shoulder and lines up the first time. Swing it and see how it feels. If you have to struggle with it or it just doesn't feel right put it down and pickup another one.

Last edited:
Find yourself a used BT-99 for short money...I will soon be on the market for one and there are a few at Kittery for under $900.00 right now.

for the most part a "trap gun" will shoot higher than POA. Trap shooting is targets always going away and on the rise. So ideally you want some type of vertical lead ie. Higher comb/rear sight. Bring what you have and give it a try. modified choke is good.

Barrel length is not important only in balance and swing feel. sight radius means nothing. You do not aim a trap gun.

+1 this is a great description

Went to Dicks's today and saw a Stoeger Condor 12g over/under for 350.00 on sale. These type of 12g are what I see most when I watch the guys shooting clays and what not. Is this is decent starter 12g for clays? I believe the Stoeger line is owned by Benelli.

If you're just starting out, a pump gun will do you fine as well. If you want to go the O/U route, I would save for a good one, like a entry-level Beretta or Browning.

BT-99 are nice but limit you to singles in trap. I would go pump,auto or O/U so you can play all the games. If your looking just to fool around with the shotgun games 870 wingmaster or Trap/ You can play all the games with that.

If you want to shoot skeet or clays as well, I'd get an autoloader or an over/under.

Autoloader - Beretta AL391. It may cost more than a Remington or Mossberg, but you get what you pay for. I would recommend this to anyone as the only field gun they'll ever need.

O/U - Beretta 686, Browning Citori, Ruger Red Label. I wouldn't go with any of the cheap European-made, rebranded ones.

I shoot with a Citori 425, my son uses a Cynergy Sport and I just bought a used Mossburg Silver Reserce off the board here for $550 as a backup.

Despite the fact that what you saw was an over/under shotgun like what you see most seasoned trap, skeet, and sporting clays shooters using, there is a significant quality gap between a Stoeger and a Beretta/Browning/Winchester/Rizzini/etc.

Despite the apparent "invincibility" of the Beretta 391, the Remington 1100 still has no peer when it comes to the shooting games.

I know all about the gas system. Like an AR, shoot it wet with oil and it runs forever.

Well, I will have to differ with you on that one. I used to shoot skeet a few times a week, first with an 1100, and then with the 391. The 391 was much better for me. I've never had any failures with either gun. I prefer the 391 to the 687 Silver Pigeon II, although I do want a 687 EELL.

Well, I will have to differ with you on that one. I used to shoot skeet a few times a week, first with an 1100, and then with the 391. The 391 was much better for me. I've never had any failures with either gun.
Well, when it comes to gun fit and ergos, that is a whole different story and there is no right or wrong. I much prefer the weight, balance, and fit of Remingtons to those of Berettas. But to someone else, the same gun could shoot several inches low/high/too front heavy, etc.

Yep.

The 391 I got (early model, straight from the distributor) fits me like a glove. I've got nothing against the 1100, 11-87, but I do think the Beretta is worth the money if you find that it suits you. Best thing to do is to go to Dick's and try some on.

Back
Top Bottom