• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What type of Broadheads are you using?

wizdoc2006

NES Member
I have had good luck with the NAP 100 grain Thunder heads and for mechanicals I have Rage 2 blade 100 grain. Any one try those Toxic Broadheads? They boast a blood grove cutting pattern.

G5 Strikers or bass pro blackouts of a similar design.
Muzzy mx3 sometimes.

Ive never used them but witnessed bad things happen and have helped on some and long worthless blood trails with mechanicals on quartering shots.

My son and i kill 4-5 deer in ct and ma every year, any good SHARP broadhead that penetrates 2 lungs will put a deer down in within 100 yards. If they go farther than that you didnt hit both lungs. High percentage BROADSIDE shots are the key.

I choose the striker because it shaves hair out of the package and its a short ferrule stout design. Windplaning makes no difference to me, i shoot a heavy arrow that penetrates and flys no faster than 250 fps speed is overrated a quiet stable setup is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
125gr Muzzy MX 3...I only used fixed blade broadheads. I have not used the toxics and the really don't appeal to me...hopefully someone with experience with then will chime in...With the muzzys...I've put two deer down, one this year and one last year with single lung hits both only went a max of 30 yards and dropped (tree stand is set higher then most people would go and they were 10 and 13 yard shots.) I like a heavier arrow set up that packs a punch!

NAP Thunderheads and Magnus 4 blade.

Coworker is using those Toxic ones. They look like they'd inflict some major damage.

I was old school w/ the Zwickey Eskimos - why?! I use to hunt small game and I could just re-sharpen them w/ a file. I had good flight with the Muzzy 3 blade (they sell practice blades that fly like the std razor inserts).

Regardless of what you use - be sure to shoot them to find out how they fly at different distances! Some of them will plane depending on how you have the blades positioned! YES, it does make a different IMHO. I shot fingers BTW, never got use to a release.

I never tried the mechanical ones - back when I use to bow hunt, you couldn't use them in CT. Yeah, that was a while ago.

My old college buddy loves the NAP 3 blade Thunderheads - he has take over 100+ deer and several bear with them in CT & ME.

YMMV.

Muzzy 100gr worked every time. ..use mechanicals occasionally but muzzy is my goto broadhead

Sent from the blind

I've got a collection at this point. I like the muzzy 100s. But I have and like the Magnus stingers and Magnus snuffer SS. I also prefer fixed blades. The snuffer SS is probably my fav right now.

several YouTube videos I have seen indicate the toxic has poor penetration.

Last edited:
Thunderheads flew well in all conditions and keep a nice edge. Never tried slingblades.

I always stuck with the Thunderhead 125. Same trajectory as my field tips out to forty yards and cheap to replace and have plenty of extras on hand.

I'm using Grim Reaper 100gr braodheads and they work awesome , both deer i took with them went less than 50 yds. . Left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow. Both hits where in the heart lung area and the reapers opened up nicely and i like the way the reapers lock closed and dont open up in flight . I had trouble with the Spitfire Broadheads opening up during flight.

Last edited:
I use the Grim Reaper's as well.
Exit wound pic, a bit further back than I wanted the shot. But I got em, the hole was so large his innards were falling out.

NAP Spitfire mechanicals. They put huge holes in deer. But I shoot high poundage with a very heavy arrow so there is plenty of KE to ensure they open. I believe most of the mechanical horror stories are people shooting insufficient KE to do the job with mechanicals.

Back
Top Bottom