• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Turkey Loads you using?

MAGA99

NES Member
What are people running for 12 gauge turkey loads?? I have various 5 and 6 shot turkey loads, nothing too expensive, and they pattern OK. I keep seeing the Hevi-shot magnum blend turkey loads, and they seem to pattern like a dream! They're real pricey for a box of 5 though.

Are they worth it? Any other good performers for a reasonable price?

Magnum blend, hevi-shot is worth the money it carries it's energy alot further than lead or plated shot. I've killed two with the 3-1/2" loads, both at around 30-35 yards. Patterns like a dream.

It is expensive but it's not like your shooting the whole box, I shoot what two shells per year MAX. Initial set-up charges are probably the worst part because you need to waste a few on the patterning board.

20 gauge Winchester xx 5 shot turkey. Patterns good. Head shot it'll put it down...Without the punishment of a 12 gauge 3 1/2 incher

Magnum blend, hevi-shot is worth the money it carries it's energy alot further than lead or plated shot. I've killed two with the 3-1/2" loads, both at around 30-35 yards. Patterns like a dream.

It is expensive but it's not like your shooting the whole box, I shoot what two shells per year MAX. Initial set-up charges are probably the worst part because you need to waste a few on the patterning board.

I was hoping that you would tell me that they're only so-so, haha.

This.

Ive been using 3 1/2 in 6 shot Longbeard XR in my 12 gauge. Ive hit them out 35-40 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting handloads. Getting about 330 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yards with a 20 gauge. About 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a 28ga. Love these loads

No I haven't
I ask because I load a lot of 28 gauge for upland bird would love to work up some,turkey loads

Man this stuff is wicked. These guys shooting 3.5" 12ga shells are bonkers. For the weight of the guns and the kick of that 3.5". Yea don't even want to go back there again.

Sir in brief this shot can make a turkey load unlike any load you'll buy for a 28 or even a 20. It will make a 410 a 40 yard gun a 28 a 50 a 20 a 60 yard gun and a 12 well to dang far to shoot at critters.

This shot is way more dense than steel or lead. It hold a tighter pattern over distance and shoots faster over a distance and has more penetration than than steel or lead at longer distances too. It allows you to use smaller gauge guns to get the job done.

This is what tss looks like that I'm shooting
4738db5f2b721d673d73c6335caf92f5.jpg

As far as the load data there is stipulations that keep me from being able to share load data. You can shoot me a pm if you like

Just in brief for proof Here is a 20ga pattern at 40 yards and then a 12ga pattern at 40.

20ga pattern from a franchi affinity
3af10b8566a3f46576b79bd225a44f95.jpg

12ga pattern from a beretta at 40 yards
3dc3bc2550f827e3ca8e7ada5a7a1ff4.jpg

I'm about to sound like my father, but I've killed too many turkeys with lead over the past 30 years to feel any need to change...

I'm about to sound like my father, but I've killed too many turkeys with lead over the past 30 years to feel any need to change...

But you aren't everyone, you are just one person. Most hunters want a gun, that when set up, will narrow the gap of human error, and allow them to consistently and ethically kill a bird, even if they accidentally misjudge distance. Also by loading your own, you don't have to worry about a manufacturer changing your recipe, or discontinuing a load that patterns well in your gun, and putting you back to square one.

I used the 3" #5 shot Longbeard XR in 12 gauge. This was the first year I tried it...one shot at 30 yards...WHAM dropped straight down. Great pattern, and MUCH damage w/ a broken neck...almost a decapitation! Again, it's my sample size of ONE...at 30 yards, not a long shot...but I like them! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom