What to write in recomendation for LTC for friend

So a friend of mine needs a letter of recommendation from someone to give along with his application for his LTC. I have absolutely no idea what to write in such a letter. He's a nice guy and worked with me as a self defense instructor for many years.

Any ideas?

Say that he's a nice guy and worked with you as a self defense instructor for many years. I would use the word responsible in there somewhere. If he's been shooting with you mention that, and note that he was safe.

Actually I would only mention the self defense if it was "normal". I hate to use that word but if its something too tactical the police may not think well of it.

I've written a few.
I would state how long you have known the individual, and that he is known to you to be a responsible person and would be an excellent candidate for a concealed carry permit. Direct and to the point.
Of course this must be true.
Everyone that applied got the permit, no doubt due to my awesome letter of recomendation.[smile]

I have always thought that those letters were somewhat of a joke. You ask someone to write a letter for you, would you ever ask a person for one that would write something bad about you?

Make sure to note what a great guy he is when he remembers to take his meds and that the voices usually give him good shooting advice.

I had to get two letters and both stated that they knew I would take the responsiblity and the privledge of an LTC very seriously. Neither mentioned anything about my rights.

Just four short months later I got my Class A - unrestricted

Topics to avoid:

“He is tired of having to strangle the animals during hunting season.”
“That enemies list isn’t going to shrink itself”
“Once an a while he says acquitted laughs to himself”

Seriously, Short and to the point is best

Try something like this

To Whom It May Concern,

Mr Smith has never struck a man or killed one. At least, not intentionally. And it wasn't 100% in response to "a dirty look", we are pretty sure, or somewhat sure; at least, there is some doubt.

And that was not in a country with an extradition treaty with the U.S. So whatever you have heard about these incidents is somewhat exaggerated, and I don't think you should read too much into it, or repeat it.

Last edited:
So a friend of mine needs a letter of recommendation from someone to give along with his application for his LTC. I have absolutely no idea what to write in such a letter. He's a nice guy and worked with me as a self defense instructor for many years.

Any ideas?

1. State HOW LONG you've known the applicant and in what capacity.

2. State that you realize this letter is for a firearms license application.

3. State why you believe the applicant is qualified; what responsibilities you've seen him handle, that you've seen him under stress, that you've shot with him, etc.

Letters should be typed or printed from a computer, with letterhead and the name and address of whomever they are being submitted to.

NOTE: There is NO statutory requirement for ANY letters. The FA 25/26 requires the name and address of two references - PERIOD.

Those wishing to submit superfluous letters may wish to include a reservation of rights regarding all such excessive demands made by over-zealous and/or abusive departments. This includes membership in a club, redundant "safety certificates," etc.

Back
Top Bottom