• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to use for an ammo closet door lock

I have to put a locking door knob on my ammo closet soon. Right now it is just a regular brass type door knob that does not lock. My thought was just run out and get a locking door knob and keep the key in a safe spot. Not much more to complying with MA state law as far as I can see.

I don't really want to use a padlock set up. The door is in pretty decent shape and I think a locking knob would be less obvious and harder to rip out for a determined thief.

Am I missing something? Seems fairly straightforward but I keep thinking something is gonna bite me...

with a standard interior door (hollow core, etc), the door and jamb are the weakest links, so there's no real increase in safety and security with a padlock compared to a good locking knob and strikeplate.

Keeping a special key in a safe place can be annoying -- If you're thinking about upgrading your door locks elsewhere in the house, you could go with a simple master key system and have the ammo closet and master bedroom keyed alike. That way you have one key that opens everything, but unlicensed members of the household can't access the closet.

Last edited:
I have a gun "closet" instead of a safe. I have a reinforced door with a security latch strike plate and reinforced hinges (3.5"screws into studs). It is not nearly as secure as a safe but my priority was safe storage compliance. It has a better than average locking door handle but no dead bolt or anything that would draw attention to it. I keep all of my gun related items in this room (other than personal protection weapon) including ammo, reloading components, powder, guns etc. I don't have to worry about kids in the house, YMMV.

I have a gun "closet" instead of a safe. I have a reinforced door with a security latch strike plate and reinforced hinges (3.5"screws into studs). It is not nearly as secure as a safe but my priority was safe storage compliance. It has a better than average locking door handle but no dead bolt or anything that would draw attention to it. I keep all of my gun related items in this room (other than personal protection weapon) including ammo, reloading components, powder, guns etc. I don't have to worry about kids in the house, YMMV.

IANAL and perhaps someone with greater knowledge will come along shortly, but my understanding is that the "secure closet" concept has not been fully vetted and is potentially a risky strategy (as most would rather avoid being the test case).

As for the OP, the ammo storage requirements are not firearms law in MA, but rather reside in the fire code. IANAF (I am not a firefighter), but you can probably stress a bit less if your closet is only housing ammo. Your locking doorknob may be sufficient, and I imagine the penalty for violating the fire code is not nearly as scary. Why not call the local FD?

Thanks for all the great info guys.

No kids. Few guests that nose around. Just want to add a little more security to a lot of valuable ammunition and be in compliance with what I am learning is not MA law but firecode.

with a standard interior door (hollow core, etc), the door and jamb are the weakest links, so there's no real increase in safety and security with a padlock compared to a good locking knob and strikeplate.

Keeping a special key in a safe place can be annoying -- If you're thinking about upgrading your door locks elsewhere in the house, you could go with a simple master key system and have the ammo closet and master bedroom keyed alike. That way you have one key that opens everything, but unlicensed members of the household can't access the closet.

The ammo closet is in my office. Gun safe is in another area altogether. I just want to keep the casual snooper out. Unless I do something like this ----
--- and I am not about to, a determined thief is going to have his way. Hopefully they will see the computer, printers, speakers etc. and take that and leave the ammo.[frown]

Carnea - are you serious with all that hardware? Shazam man.[shocked]

IANAL and perhaps someone with greater knowledge will come along shortly, but my understanding is that the "secure closet" concept has not been fully vetted and is potentially a risky strategy (as most would rather avoid being the test case).

As for the OP, the ammo storage requirements are not firearms law in MA, but rather reside in the fire code. IANAF (I am not a firefighter), but you can probably stress a bit less if your closet is only housing ammo. Your locking doorknob may be sufficient, and I imagine the penalty for violating the fire code is not nearly as scary. Why not call the local FD?

The closet is only for ammo. As mentioned above - just to keep out the casual snooper and help keep the honest people honest. Until I get the cash and learn enough about fireproof safes, or fireproofing the closet a decent lock with strike plate will have to do.

Sweet. I like.

If that is an issue just replace the hinges with "NRP" hinges (non removable pin) [smile]

Good idea as well.

I think I know which way I am going.

Thanks for all the great ideas and information everyone. I am thinking non-removable pins and a key/combination locking knob. That should keep out everyone but a professional/determined thief.

Last edited:
Pull out the old door and it's frame and install a steel "exterior" door. Sheathe the floor, ceiling and walls of the closet with plywood, then a layer of sheetmetal and then more plywood. Lag the plywood right to the studs. Put a fingerprint scanning lock and deadbolt on that sucker and you're good to go.

Or just install a decent "exterior" lockset w/ deadbolt, change the hinges and beef up the door and frame around the locks and hinges. Maybe screw a sheet of plywood to the inside surface of the door to toughen it up a little.

Back
Top Bottom