• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to get?

I have had my machine gun license now for some time but have never bought one. I am now considering getting one. My problem is (as everyones is) staying within a budget. I would love to get something great but I realize I will only be able to afford the bottom of the barrel.

I am looking for input to find out what a cheap MG is? Is 4 grand the least I will be able to spend? Where is a good location to start looking? Thanks in advance for your help

What machine guns interest you? Do have your heart set on a mil surp? Do you have any contacts who may offer you a decent price? The cheapest machine guns are the MAC 11s and that kind of ilk.

I dont even know where to start looking other than a few random sites I stumbled upon. I would prefer something that you can fire from the shoulder but am not completely opposed to a machine pistol. As for connections I have none (that I know of). What interests me would probally be prohibatively expensive (Tommy gun, M16, AK, H&K). Sten Gun possibly?

Last I heard, Paul up at State Line had a transferable Reising. I have a couple (not for sale). They have been a lot of fun, for me, anyway. They fire from a closed bolt, so you can actually hit things in the semi auto mode. You can check out one of mine if you are coming to the NH shoot. Jack.

Visit GoingBroker.com and use smart Search Search, show only: completed items, "full auto".

You'll have to go through the items to learn if they actually sold but it'll give you an idea of they are actually selling for.

Hunter46, there are many options available in your price range. M10/11, Sten (tube gun), MK760, Reising SMG, are a few that come to mind. You could spend a bit more and expand your options to weapons such as an Uzi, FNC, AC556, or SW76, just to name a few. For a more complete listing of contemporary MG prices, check out the NFA Ads at www.subguns.com.

Hope this helps,

Edited to add: Stay away from Impact Guns. The prices on their title II weapons are completely ludicris, way above market value, and in my, (and many other's), opinion customer service is terrible.

-J2T

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter46, there are many options available in your price range. M10/11, Sten (tube gun), MK760, Reising SMG, are a few that come to mind. You could spend a bit more and expand your options to weapons such as an Uzi, FNC, AC556, or SW76, just to name a few. For a more complete listing of contemporary MG prices, check out the NFA Ads at www.subguns.com.

I second all the above...and will add this...

If you want a gun you can do ALOT with get an M11/9, it is almost the standard "starter" MG, next to the M16 don't think you will find more accessories for anyother gun than you will an M11.

If you want a "real" gun (ie. full stock/wood), and "genuine" C&R gun with actual history to it...go with the Reising. Some can be finicky, but tinkering is part of the fun, and once you work out any bugs, they run nice.

As for the other two in the $4K range (tube sten or MK760) it all depends on what you are into...

Finnally I would say go hang out on the boards at subguns.com, you will find a wealth of REAL NFA knowledge there...

As far as cost effective. It is really hard to go wrong with a cobray m11/9. They should still be @ 3-3500.

But, the thing here is they have ben come the AR of the class iii world. Everybody is making all sorts of goodies for them. Slow fire uppers, all sorts of stocks, etc.

If you are thinking of something a bit more historical, a tube gun sten is a good way to go, parts are plentiful, and you can turn it into a sterling at some point if you want to get classy..

But, I have to weigh in on the MK760.. Maybe security boy lucked out and got one that actually ran. I had one for several years and after lots of talking to other MK owners and many several trips back and forth to LaFrance, I finally gave in a traded it off. In short I could just never get the thing to run right. Magazines were always problematic and needed to be "fitted" to the gun (they were also hard to find and very expensive). This could be a really bad way to get into the class iii world..

Too bad your are a couple of months late.. I sold off my m11 and my stemple for the type of money you are looking at spending...

Back
Top Bottom