• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to get, what to get... (Non-firearm)

Which truck should I get?

• Chevy 2500HD

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Ford F-250

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Dodge Ram 2500

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Toyota Tundra

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
Okay... Here's the scoop. We just bought a new camper, a 26 foot Trail-Lite R-Vision Max Sport. We've got a 2001 Dodge Durango Sport, with the 4.7L V8. It's got barely enough towing capacity for the trailer.

So, needless to say, I'm in the market for a new truck...

The choices are:

Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dodge Ram 2500
Ford F-250HD
Toyota Tundra

I'm leaning towards either the Tundra or the Ram. The Toyota's got the edge in that it's got the highest towing capacity in the lower trim (yes, I know the Cummings in the Dodge, DuraMax in Chevy, and PowerStroke in the Ford will kick the crap out of the Toyo, but the 5.7L Toyo vs. the Hemi, 5.4L, or 6.0L wins) as well as, well, being a Toyota.

The Ram has the edge because our family is good friends with the owner of a Dodge dealership. We've bought 9-10 cars from them over the past two decades, and they've always treated us well.

Ford and Chevy are at the back of the pack based on friends and acquaintences who own them and have had significant trouble with them. My buddy who owns an F-150 had to replace all the gaskets at 25K. So I'm not terribly interested in Ford or Chevy...

I'm open to any and all suggestions/comments/anecdotes. Just kickin' the tires, so to speak...

The Dodge trucks don't hold up well at all. You will have most problems with the Dodge trucks. There is a reason most contractors use Ford and Chevy trucks. The F150 would be my choice hands down. The Chevy would be 2nd, followed by a large margin the ToyMotor I mean Toyota, and then the Dodge. I like the looks of the Dodge the best followed by Ford, Chevy, then Toyota. I guess I'm just not a fan of Toyota at all.

Speaking from experience, I grew up with the Ram 2500 hauling horse trailers on the family ranch - we had two of them over the years, and both are still in use today (over 250k miles between the two of them). Aesthetically I'm also a big fan of the Ram - love those front grills.

I think you'll overpay for the Toyota. Back in the 80s and early 90s, yes, but these days the manufacturing process and quality between auto makers is so similar, I don't think it justifies the premium.

In all honesty, all that America vs. foreign made rhetoric is BS anyway. Toyota makes all its Tacoma trucks (and Corolla cars) sold in the US in the same plant that GM makes the Vibe - in FREMONT, CA. They're manufactured by a joint venture company called NUMMI - look it up some time.

My Dodge Ram 2500 is 11 years old in April. I'd say they hold up just fine. The real issue with the Rams was the auto transmission in the earlier models. That has been fixed. Just be sure that when you do a fluid change, you get the bands adjusted. I bought mine with the bulletproof NV4500 5-speed.

That said, I'd have to give a nod to the Tundra only because your non-towing fuel economy will be a LOT better unless you spring for the Diesel in one of the domestic brands, and ONLY if you don't intend to keep the truck a while. (The premium for the diesel can buy a lot of gasoline)

Do what I do when I test a vehicle. Bring what you intend to use and use it. When we bought my wife's VW, we brought a child seat, the dog's crate and my big box of camping equipment and loaded it all up to see how it fit. We actually nixed the pricer Audi because the Dog's crate didn't fit. The VW was the older Audi body (B5.5 vs. B6) so it fit better.

Drag the trailer into a Dodge and Toyota dealer and hook it up. If the dealer won't let you, it's no sale. I'd call ahead to let them know you are coming, and try to go when the lot isn't as busy (not only so you can get better attention, but also so you have more room to maneuver in the lot.

The new F150 (yes, half ton) also had a really high towing capacity now, so you might not need a 3/4 ton. (The Tundra is technically a 1/2 ton too)

Dodge, but then again I'm biased! I'm on my second Dodge truck, and would only consider a Chevy otherwise!

Drove a Dodge for 15 years and never did a thing other than normal maint. Paint looked as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it new.

Both my sones have had several and they have been excellent for them too. Youngest son has a 2006 2500 that I have ridden in many times and it is a beautiful, powerful truck.

Dodge trannys are still a problem. I know believe me...I know............I'm told the Tundra really pulls well was designed specifically with towing (and stopping) in mind.

I have seen the new Chevy Silverado has just been awarded the Motor Trend truck of the year award. No easy feat with the competition from the other players.

If I had it to do over again, I'd stay away from Dodge, then take the best deal from one of the other three. I'm leaning towards the Chevy in my mind.

Just my .02

I've known three people with the new F150, they all three got rid of them within a year. More problems than they wanted to deal with.

I have a friend with the Ram 1500 and loves the thing. Had it for about 5 years and no problems with it at all...

Then, from the commercials and reviews, I would lean to the Toyota as well.

Other than that, I'm not really a truck person. [smile]

Toyota Tundra, do you even have to ask [smile]

Toyota has always and always will have the best reliability and resale.

Polls, and responses, are favoring the Tundra. Good. So am I.

The Ram is a close second, simply because I've got a good relationship with the dealership and they've always done right by me. Plus I just love the look of the Ram...

Chevy, well, I drove a GM "truck" back in the bad ol' 80s. Left a bad impression on me... Probably not fair to compare what's out today with the dreck from the '80s, but impressions are impressions...

Ford, I've heard great things about the heavy duty trucks, but my buddy's experience has been TERRIBLE. Not only did the truck need MAJOR service in the first 25K miles, but the truck was out of service for a WEEK and he did NOT get a loaner. They told him he only would have gotten a loaner if he had bought the extended warrantee. I'd have told them to keep the f**king truck and shove it up their @$$e$ sideways...

It basically boils down to who comes up with the better numbers. I've researched all four on Edmunds and on the individual websites, and have comparably equipped trucks picked out. I also have the Blue Book value of my Durango as a trade. Whoever gives me the better deal between Dodge and Toyota is going to sell me a truck...

I like the idea of bringing the trailer to the dealership; however we're not picking it up until the end of next month. I'm actually hoping to have the new truck before we get it, so that the new truck can be prepped by the RV service for towing our camper. That saves us $600 right there (the $600 to prep the tow vehicle was included in the price of the camper; I don't want to get the Durango prepped then turn around and buy a new truck in a year and have to fork it again...)

As for Toyota vs. American trucks, the gap has closed considerably since the bad ol' 80s, but Toyota still commands a premium for their vehicles, both new and used, and the resale values support that. Gotta be SOME reason Toyota and Honda are worth so much used, eh? [wink]

We'll see. I'll post pics of the camper later. She's a beaut!

I got a Chevy and like it. But I never put many miles on it (3 mile commute to work). Been running great [knock on wood].

I know the Toyota is the best buy, but is it big as the others?

Toyota has the reliability and resale value advantage, as well as competing well against any of the other trucks you listed. There's really no other variable worth considering.

Kyle

If you are REALY serious about pushing and pulling stuff the only real option is the diesel engine. Low RPM, High torque, they are not over achievers in the MPG category BUT they don't care how much weight you carry, your fuel economy will remain pretty much the same. Try that with a gas engine. My old Chevy 1/2 ton gas job would go about 17 MPG highway, add a 5000 lb. trailer and it dropped to about 7 MPG. After 5 or 6 hours of pushing snow, you got to play "Name that smell" trying to figure out what fluids were burning, had to always keep the heat blowing otherwise the temp gage would climb too high!

My Ford F-350 with the turbo diesel will give me 14 MPG no matter what I push or pull and continue to run cool as a cucumber even when worked for 48 hours straight. (yes there have been winters when I pushed snow for 48 hour straight)

YMMV

I was reading the "pushing snow for 48 hours" and got a flashback to a very old "Funniest Home Videos" where a dog is pushing a rock around and the voice-over is "pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock. pushing a rock."

Yes, as a truck doing truck stuff, damn hard to beat a diesel. And you can pimp a diesel for cheap $$ to make even MORE power. Don't know about current Dodge Diesel, but back when I decided on the V-10, I got about 10-13 MPG and the Diesel was doing 20+ for normal driving around. If you drive a lot, even at slightly higher fuel prices, that's an operational savings.

Still, if this is just to haul the trailer a dozen times a year, look at the Toyota Tundra as your daily driver costs will be better in the long term.

Be prepared that your Dodge Durango will NOT give you a good trade. That is a vehicle many dealers do not want for numerous reasons. I worked in the auto industry up until a month ago, and speak from experience. They are a hard sell for the dealers and sit on lots for a long time. A nicely equipt 01 Durango will pull around $3500-$5000 at the auction. You might be better off selling it in the Want Ad or Auto Trader.

Remember too... Most dealers (Chrysler being one) have customer loyalty bonuses too. My mother just recently got an additional $4700 off her new Jeep by trading in her old one.

Highest Towing Capacity

Right here!

Ram Quad cab with 8 ft bed

350 HP at 555 ft # of Torque High Performance (NOT AVAILABLE IN MASSACHUSTTS!) Turbo Charged Cummins with 6 Speed.

they offer a even bigger engine this year!

The truck will only tow 13,000 pounds but the engine will pull 24,000 easy.
gets 21 city and 23 hwy after you run the engine thru its breakin period. about 7000 miles.

Last edited:
Wow, everyone, thanks for the input! It looks like the Toyota is the clear front-runner, with the Dodge coming a close second. Good. That's what I was thinking...

I was thinking that with my Durango, actually. Might be the deciding factor if the Dodge dealer can give me more for the trade on a customer loyalty basis...

Realistically, it's going to come down to price. If I can get the Tundra for a only a couple grand more than the Ram 2500, I'll take the Toyota. If it's going to be more like $5K, it's the Ram in a landslide.

I'm not planning on doing much towing or plowing with the truck. I will get the plow prep package, but not a plow (right away...). The trailer will get pulled 6-10 times a year, tops - my wife works weekends, so we don't get that many chances to head off...

Also, check around for financing. You can score a pretty good rate at most Credit Unions and then get a discount at the dealership for a 'cash' purchase that might actually be cheaper in the long run.

Also, I don't know if Chrysler still does, but I got a $500 discount for joining the Farm Bureau for only $30. You join, and then you get a certificate to get the discount when you close the deal. (got some cool catalogs from it too)

It's not? Hmmm strange, my dealer had a few of them on his lot!

They can not sell the High Performance engine in Mass, California or Maine due to State EPA Regulations I bought mine in Oklahoma.

You can get the regular Cummins Engine.

Last edited:
The real issue with the Rams was the auto transmission in the earlier models. That has been fixed.

Not so sure about that. I called a local transmission shop tday to get an appointment for them to look at my Nissan. He said it wouldn't be for awhile because they got 7 Dodge trucks in this week already. [thinking]

I voted for the Dodge 'cause those were what I was leaning towards for my truck (due to monetary reasons/concerns, I ended up with a civic), but my father has always had Chevy's, so I'd say go for either of the two.

Toyota trucks are for fairys!

Ford F-250! Without question!

Support Ford Motor Company and Support the American economy.

MOPAR don't go far.

Ford and Chevy should be your only considerations.

Last edited:
I've had a 3/4 ton Dodge. Plowed snow like it wasn't even there, but drove like a buckboard and jarred the hell out of you all the rest of the year. I've gone to GM and haven't looked back. I wouldn't even look at Ford. EVERY person I know who's had a Ford has had major motor trouble. Get the deisel. You'll have it forever. Can't speak to the Toyotas. Good trucks, I guess, but you'll pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom