what to expect at "the interview"

headednorth

NES Member
I have my interview scheduled and am curious as to what exactly they are going to ask and what is the best way to answer. I had to briefly explain a court case from 20+ years ago when the issuing officer called to make the appointment. The couple other things under question 10 were "self explanatory" according to him.

I assume that they want to know the reason I want an LTC to begin with. Ive been told that if you mention "target" theyll give you a class B or restrictions. If you play up the protection angle too much, they think youre a paranoid nut case. Also "ALP" or "exercising my rights as a law abiding citizen" are too broad and not an acceptable answer. I do have a job which sometimes takes me to a high crime area at all hours, alone.

So Im sure every town is different, but in general, what exactly can I expect to be asked and what is the best way to answer?

My town wanted to know my name & address , and a check for a hundred bucks. They just assumed I wanted a class A no restrictions.

I think the entire " interview " phase was something like :

Police LT- " So , are you thinking about joining a club ? "
Me - " Yeah , probably."

Yea, in Plymouth there was no real "interview". Just wanted a check, my prints, and my picture. My LO even filled out the entire application and just asked to verify I wanted class A no restriction.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Im in Danvers. Theyre listed as orange on this site.

" My advice: don't answer any questions you're not asked. " Sounds like good advice, thanks. I can tend to ramble a bit if I dont catch myself.

Also, the assumptions made in my first post were made in general, not about Danvers specifically. Any members here from Danvers?

my interview was like this, so why do you want your lic and I gave the answer they were looking for and the cop goes annndddddddd, ITS YOUR RIGHT!

I think I nearly shit myself when he told me that.

Just be yourself and you will be fine, Danvers is not that bad for interviews

"Why do you want a gun?"

"Zombies"

'nuff said.

Seriously, some towns and LOs are more....curious...than others. Answer asked questions, truthfully, and briefly.

If the cop asks if you're going to join a club, I'd say, "Why, can you recommend one?" - seriously - cops belong to Clubs, too....

Now - a new wrinkle , at least around here.

Over the late Spring , I have two acquaintances that applied for LTC's in my 2A friendly town. Both had the usual anxiety about the mysteries of the police looking at their "records " and intentions. Both volunteered the information that once had enough concerns about some form of substance abuse ( assume alcohol ) that they decided to check in to rehab on their own - before they got into trouble , rather than after. Both are solid citizens w/ clean records.

Both were processed in a polite and professional manner by Designated Officer , told all was good to go - except for the need to submit a letter from a Doctor vouching that they are ... " cured." The additional requirement adds no time to the process , LTC's are in the hands of the Chelsea people , but will not be released until Doctor letters are submitted.

The state of Health Care services for many in this state could make this harder than it sounds.

" Hello , Miss Office Lady ? My name is Mr. Anybody. Your office is listed as my Primary Care Physician. We've only met briefly once. Would you ask the Doctor to sign a letter that says I am Sane , Stable and Not Addicted to Something Bad ? "

(ps - MHPD should get raises and free beer because they would never take this as criticism. - just a heads up to make everyone's life easier ... )

headednorth said:
I do have a job which sometimes takes me to a high crime area at all hours, alone.
Couldn't saying this potentially get him stuck with a restriction? Couldn't they ask for a letter from his employer? Like others have said, don't volunteer anything.

My interview consisted of some small talk, the computer system was down so the LO apologetically asked me to fill out a paper application and come back the next day to finish the process up, I didn't even have to say why I wanted it, he said "Class A, all lawful purposes, right?", went back the next day and he'd already filled out the online form and had me go over it and ok it, prints, photos and a handshake and I was out the door.

My interview was,

LO: Hello, sit down... so you want your license to carry.. let me read your application
ME: Yes, that is correct, please do.
LO: So where did you attend college?
ME: NEU
LO: Are you working?
ME: Yes
LO: Doing what?
ME: Mech Engineer
LO: Clean record?
ME: Yes, very.
LO: You'll be a good candidate for LTC-A unrestricted, 100 bucks please.
ME: Thank you for your time!
LO: 6-8 weeks call back.

it seems like some states make navigating their gun laws about as clear and bureaucracy-free as their scholarship and student aid processes.

MY interview had me nervous going in as well, I was a bit on guard about some of the questions he was going to ask because i didn't want them to limit me. What ended up happening was The LO asked me a few basic questions about what I was going to do with it, then we talked for a few minutes on what he recommended for guns to do certain things, and I got printed and whatnot and left. Picked up an unrestricted A a few weeks later...

I think mentioning working in a high crime area could potentially hurt you. This could lead to a restriction for work purposes.

I was told "Oh thank goodness when you put ALP. I hate it when I have to type up a giant paragraph someone wrote trying to justify why they want No Restrictions."

Arlington interview consisted of going over the form and making sure my answers were filled in correctly and then taking my picture and prints.

I brought a whole bunch of stuff with me including my CT based FFL, CT, UT, FL, and NH permits, my NRA Basic Handgun teaching credential, and finally a letter from my CLEO in CT stating that my firearms business has never had any problems and a couple of other things.

The licensing officer said he didn't need to see all that stuff. I mentioned that I wanted an unrestricted LTC-A.

He said "Thats all we issue here". :)

Yea, in Plymouth there was no real "interview". Just wanted a check, my prints, and my picture. My LO even filled out the entire application and just asked to verify I wanted class A no restriction.

The chief is a very reasonable guy. Doesn't want to create any unnecessary obstacles for the applicant.

Now - a new wrinkle , at least around here.

Over the late Spring , I have two acquaintances that applied for LTC's in my 2A friendly town. Both had the usual anxiety about the mysteries of the police looking at their "records " and intentions. Both volunteered the information that once had enough concerns about some form of substance abuse ( assume alcohol ) that they decided to check in to rehab on their own - before they got into trouble , rather than after. Both are solid citizens w/ clean records.

Both were processed in a polite and professional manner by Designated Officer , told all was good to go - except for the need to submit a letter from a Doctor vouching that they are ... " cured." The additional requirement adds no time to the process , LTC's are in the hands of the Chelsea people , but will not be released until Doctor letters are submitted.

The state of Health Care services for many in this state could make this harder than it sounds.

" Hello , Miss Office Lady ? My name is Mr. Anybody. Your office is listed as my Primary Care Physician. We've only met briefly once. Would you ask the Doctor to sign a letter that says I am Sane , Stable and Not Addicted to Something Bad ? "

(ps - MHPD should get raises and free beer because they would never take this as criticism. - just a heads up to make everyone's life easier ... )

You are right, it is a challenge to find a doctor willing to write an affidavit on your behalf. Doctors are always concerned about the huge liability they take on in the usual course of their practice. That concern increases tremendously when you add a firearm to the mix.

I have been fortunate enough to have established a working relationship with a highly regarded psychiatrist on the Harvard Medical School faculty. He has no qualms about signing affidavits for those who pass his evaluation (review of medical records and personal interview etc.).

In Boston, I wasn't asked a single question. Going to Cali anyway, but still, want to enjoy my time here!

Boston has a brand new licensing officer. I had a meeting with him last week. He seems genuinely concerned with respecting 2nd Amendment Rights. We shall see how things go for my pending applicants seeking unrestricted licenses.

My interview was,

LO: Hello, sit down... so you want your license to carry.. let me read your application
ME: Yes, that is correct, please do.
LO: So where did you attend college?
ME: NEU
LO: Are you working?
ME: Yes
LO: Doing what?
ME: Mech Engineer
LO: Clean record?
ME: Yes, very.
LO: You'll be a good candidate for LTC-A unrestricted, 100 bucks please.
ME: Thank you for your time!
LO: 6-8 weeks call back.

Some interviews are easy and brief. While others are lengthy cross-examinations. I believe one should hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I think preparation is the key. Make an outline for yourself with the key elements of why you are suitable for the license, why your purpose is proper, and reasons why you are asking for unrestricted. Commit this to memory.

Then have one of your friends play devil's advocate and ask you questions with follow-up challenge questions designed to trigger the bullshit meter. You should prepare yourself for challenge follow-up questions so you aren't caught like a deer in the headlights.

Is the interview required by statute? Or do the issuing authorities use their need to ascertain suitability as a reason for an interview?

If it comes from the suitability requirement, are there any towns that don't do interviews?

Don

Back
Top Bottom