• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to expect at LTC interview in Chelsea

Well I had my interview this morning in Chelsea. The person who interviewed me was very pleasant and professional. We reviewed my application, took my photo and fingerprinted me. We spoke for about 5 to 10 minutes on my reason for wanting a permit. All said and done I was granted a LTC class A with NO restrictions!! It was actually a much more pleasant experience than it was to get my resident permit

so what did you tell them which was justification in their mind?

this is relevant to my interests.

New policy?

Yes, with a change in leadership comes new policy, frequently.

Per the new Director of FRB (phone conversation yesterday), she looks at the applicant's reasons carefully as well as past history (if you had unrestricted for years as a resident, that will play in your favor).

Yes, with a change in leadership comes new policy, frequently.

Per the new Director of FRB (phone conversation yesterday), she looks at the applicant's reasons carefully as well as past history (if you had unrestricted for years as a resident, that will play in your favor).

That's good to hear. I'd like to stay unrestricted when we move. When did a new director start?

That's good to hear. I'd like to stay unrestricted when we move. When did a new director start?

I think it's been 2 years now!

You and me both, my Wife got an official pre-announcement from her VP about moving all their admin groups to Somerville between 2016 and 2018 . . . when that happens, she retires and we're off to NH.

I think it's been 2 years now!

You and me both, my Wife got an official pre-announcement from her VP about moving all their admin groups to Somerville between 2016 and 2018 . . . when that happens, she retires and we're off to NH.

Hey, nothing wrong with Somerville. [smile]

Hey, nothing wrong with Somerville. [smile]

When you live South of Boston and take the commuter rail daily, it matters not the name of the town, the additional commute just doesn't make it worth it and our next move will NOT be within MA!

When you live South of Boston and take the commuter rail daily, it matters not the name of the town, the additional commute just doesn't make it worth it and our next move will NOT be within MA!

Understand that. I have turned down several opportunities because they meant a daily commute through Boston and out the other side.

I currently have a resident Class A unrestricted in MA.

I am moving out of the state and am thinking about applying for a MA non-resident license as I will be going back at fairly often.

As I already have MA LTC (and had one for 23 years) will it be easier to get a non-resident LTC?

I am hoping that I can just "convert" my current license.

How far out of state? You have to return for a yearly interview and pay the $100 fee with application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am moving out of the state and am thinking about applying for a MA non-resident license as I will be going back at fairly often.

As I already have MA LTC (and had one for 23 years) will it be easier to get a non-resident LTC?

No, you can't "convert" your current license.

No, it will not be easier, and likely take a long time.

Six month wait for an "in person" appointment. @$100/year.

You will likely be issued a restricted license. You can't even buy ammo in MA with it.

No, you can't "convert" your current license.

No, it will not be easier, and likely take a long time.

Six month wait for an "in person" appointment. @$100/year.

You will likely be issued a restricted license. You can't even buy ammo in MA with it.

I agree EXCEPT for the part where you claim he'll likely get a restricted license. I've confirmed with the current FRB Director that long-time Resident LTC-holders who move out of state will most likely be issued LTC-A/None. The cost, hassle and time it takes to get it is a real sin however.

I had an unrestricted LTC non resident for years and they restricted me randomly right before I moved to MA. Sounds like that practice isn't still going on.

non-residents, who were not prior residents, have had restrictions imposed beginning a few years ago. I know an instructor who lives in NH, been teaching the MA course for a while and had always had an unrestricted LTC-A. Few years ago he gets his renewal and it's restricted. When he asked about it he was told 'too bad.' He has since stopped renewing. what's the point of a restricted LTC-A for a non-res?

I had an unrestricted LTC non resident for years and they restricted me randomly right before I moved to MA. Sounds like that practice isn't still going on.

Yes, new Director of FRB with a new policy! I spoke with her directly about it and what I related is what she told me her current policy is. I have a vested interest in that answer as my plan is to retire to NH (but continue teaching in MA) when my Wife's office moves and she hopefully agrees to retire . . . her org is scheduled to make that move within the next 2 years or so.

BTW, even with the new policy there are serious issues with the current laws wrt NR LTCs. A BFS instructor MUST maintain their LTC to issue certificates, but there is NO grace period for NR LTC holders and thus your training biz could be shut-down for 2-3 months each year!!

[rofl]

I'm in the same boat. Me too!

If I was reasonably certain I could get a non-res unrestricted I might be willing to subject myself to being treated like a criminal once per year--fingerprinted, interrogated--to get licensed.

Too bad there is no way to exit the process prior to being saddled with restrictions, so you get neither approved nor denied. But I would imagine the state's goal is to nail as many applicants with restrictions as possible as one of the many tactics to bring an end to private gun ownership in the state.

Which really sucks. I live right over the border in NH, work in MA, and would like an unrestricted MA LTC-A.

I'm in the same boat. Me too!

Make that three of us! It's sad that they still have that power over our 2a rights, even though we finally crossed the border. I hope to rid myself of the state entirely once I can find a decent job up here.

Back
Top Bottom