What to expect at LTC interview in Chelsea

I finally have my interview this coming week for my MA non resident LTC. I was just wondering what to expect at the interview and about how long the process is?

I have never been to a non-resident interview, however, the big challenge if you want one of the "Restrictions: none" licenses is convincing the interviewer you have a specific reason that does not apply to members of the general gun owning public. While these words will probably not be used, the essence of the interview will be "Why should you get an unrestricted license when many other people who have come through this office with an equally strong desire for one walked out with a target only license?".

You had better take the whole day off and shower up so you'll be clean and fresh for the strip search.
Okay, I don't know anything about it but I wish you the best of luck.....[smile]

They will review the application and do your photo and fingerprints. Then you will have to explain why you are convinced that someone is trying to kill you. If someone isn't trying to kill you right now, then you have to have such a good reason to believe you are a very likely target as to change their minds. Otherwise... Restrictions : target and hunting

I had a non resident LTC-A no restrictions in 01 and never had an interview, they just wanted my $100. every year, but I had my NH resident license. Must be something new, good luck.

Chelsea PD is much friendlier to the LEGAL (think Chelsea here…I lived there for 2 years) gun owners than you would think. With that being said, Post Number 2 has a valid point. If you own a business or property or take care of an ailing family member in Chelsea than you may have a stronger chance of a carry license. I hope it helps.

This all just makes me sad. Imagine, "So, I see you've applied for an out-of-state license to be a journalist in Massachusetts. While we of course fully support the First Amendment, we have to be careful that you don't write dangerous things about pro-gun agendas or libertarianism. We're going to have to give you a restricted license, L&P, (liberalism and progressivism) only." After you take the course and submit your fee, you should have your journalism license (restricted) within a year."
I think I'll have drink and toast the rolling-over founding fathers.

Chelsea PD is much friendlier to the LEGAL (think Chelsea here…I lived there for 2 years) gun owners than you would think. With that being said, Post Number 2 has a valid point. If you own a business or property or take care of an ailing family member in Chelsea than you may have a stronger chance of a carry license. I hope it helps.

Maybe but you failed to note that this is a NR LTC question and "a different group" (FRB) in Chelsea does the interviews. They had a change of policy wrt unrestricted LTCs a few years ago under Jason Guida (no doubt demanded from upon high in state gov't)!

There isn't much to expect, it is more or less a meet and greet. I have had my interview with a couple of different guys and there were both real nice. It's difficult to get a non restricted permit though..

Based on what I've heard you won't really be grilled or anything. If you ask about restrictions (you might as well, it can"t hurt anything) they probably will blow smoke up your ass.

If you have the money you might want to call Jason Guida himself... he used to work there.... that would be your best chance at working the "machine" to your advantage.

-Mike

The OP was talking about the non-resident licensing which is handled by bureaucrats at a state office building in Chelsea. This is completely separate from the Chelsea PD handling of licenses for residents.

I will add to my comments that no, they dont grill you about wanting a license, as long as you understand that the license will be restricted.

The grilling is if you want the license unrestricted so you can actually carry . I had the NR LTC for years, under the old system and the new sytem - unrestricted. Then one year, BAM.... restricted, with no reasoning.

Give some thought to whether your work brings you to higher crime areas like Lowell, Dorchester or Springfield, often after 5pm quitting time, when it's dark and few people are around. Remember you have no right to keep and bear arms. You are totally beholding to an appointed administrator's view of whether you have a need to CCW. Crime statistics on the rise, 2ndA, etc, will get you a restricted if offered as reasons.

Remember that you took a course about MA firearms laws, belong to a F&G club, hunt and target shoot, but consider that your NEED to be in high crime areas in MA might be the only acceptable reason to those judging your need for a LTC-A Unrestricted.

Obviously, if you carry large amounts of cash (and can produce proof), expensive equipment (proof), etc, as part of your work travel into MA, then don't fail to mention that. But have convincing documents along if you go that route.

Not all of us NH residents are fortunate enough to work in sh*thole areas in MA, it seems...

This is completely speculative but am considering the move to NH. What if you currently have a mass ltc with no restrictions from one of those towns that do not usually give them out. Have held the mass ltc for many years without any issues and currently have a nh non resident license. I am guessing when you move to nh your mass ltc is no longer valid. Does holding the prior mass ltc make the process any easier for getting a mass non resident ltc without restrictions?

This is completely speculative but am considering the move to NH. What if you currently have a mass ltc with no restrictions from one of those towns that do not usually give them out. Have held the mass ltc for many years without any issues and currently have a nh non resident license. I am guessing when you move to nh your mass ltc is no longer valid. Does holding the prior mass ltc make the process any easier for getting a mass non resident ltc without restrictions?

It won't matter with regard to a Non Resident LTC in MA what you had when you were a resident. You are at the mercy of a beaurocrat. Remember, they dont believe residents have 2A rights, let alone non residents. Every year could be different when you renew that non resident MA LTC, as it is all on a whim.

Also, don't forget to follow the process of notifying the town you are leaving and the CHSB of your move to NH. You could end up DQ'ed for future LTCs.

The process remains the same, and is a yearly $100 PITA. The probability of success might be better IF you can demonstrate need too. Moving to NH actually shows you don't need a MA unrestricted LTC-A. If you work in MA, or you or family own a business there, that contributes to need. If your relatives live in MA and you regularly visit, that contributes to need. If visits to MA take you to high crime cities/areas, that contributes to need.

Hunting, target shooting, transport reasons alone demonstrate "need" for an LTC-A restricted for those purposes.

There isn't much to expect, it is more or less a meet and greet. I have had my interview with a couple of different guys and there were both real nice. It's difficult to get a non restricted permit though..

LICENSE. It's not a PERMIT. MA doesn't issue PERMITS. Except Driver's Permits I guess.

It's a big bureaucracy. They have their rules, and they generally follow them, because that's what bureaucracies do. We may not LIKE their rules... In fact we all certainly don't like their rules... But if you want your non-res LTC NR, you have to fit their pattern... What THEY define as "need".

The rule for non-res LTC with no restrictions is "Applicant must show good reason to fear injury to his person or property." -- so that's what you have to show. Of course, only they judge what "good reason" is, and that IS the biggest hurdle. It would also help to note your good character, and demonstrated record of firearm training and safety.

I don't think it helps your application to do anything else. If you want a non-restricted license, don't throw in every possible reason: "AND I target shoot. AND I hunt in MA. AND I go to MA to shoot IDPA/IPSC/whatever." That's like asking for a restricted license, if you ask me.

Think like a government worker. Applications come in, you read them, you apply a set of rules given to you by your boss. In all likelihood you want to do a good job and get a good performance review. It's probably easier or less risk to you to approve "restricted" if the application has any reason that'll let you do that. Applications go out. You go home at the end of the day and play with your kid

If you want non- restricted, be clear why you have good reason to fear injury yo your person or property... And why you're a swell guy who can be trusted with CCW.

Last edited:
Moving to NH actually shows you don't need a MA unrestricted LTC-A. If you work in MA, or you or family own a business there, that contributes to need.

As an aside, if you own a business located in MA you should know that, some towns in MA will issue an LTC to business owners, which does not specify residency. This is pretty much the best deal going, if you can get it. It avoids all the chelsea/CJIS garbage, and you get a 6 year term to boot. That said, you might have to do something like talk to the police chief in the town your business is based in to get anywhere, some PDs don't even know they can issue these.

-Mike

My guess is "some guy in a gun shop". [rofl]

No, read my post. I don't play gun shop rumor games. I'll leave that for the guys who know a guy who was told from a friend that.....

He was actually complimented on his attire during his interview. One of the few youngsters with his head screwed on straight.

When I went for my interview to renew my non-restricted LTC this year, the interviewer was training a new person, and explaining the process as they went.

They review the application, do fingerprints and photo. The folder contains all of the previous apps (if it is a renewal), and they looked at last year's and this year's and if there were no differences they did not ask many questions beyond confirming that nothing had changed. He also remembered me from previous years, so that made it easier. He told the trainee that if it was a new application there would be more scrutiny on the answers, and if answers were evasive or the applicant seemed very nervous or had other body lanuage indicating deceit the interview would dig a bit deeper.

I agree with the previous posters - for non-restricted it really comes down to if they judge that you have "good reason to fear injury...". Based on the answers to that question, the interviewer then said that when they review the application with the FRB director later they will determine restricted or not.

Well I had my interview this morning in Chelsea. The person who interviewed me was very pleasant and professional. We reviewed my application, took my photo and fingerprinted me. We spoke for about 5 to 10 minutes on my reason for wanting a permit. All said and done I was granted a LTC class A with NO restrictions!! It was actually a much more pleasant experience than it was to get my resident permit

Back
Top Bottom