What to do with abandoned ammo?

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
One of our customers abandoned thier belongings in a storage unit and customarily we auction off belongings to cover back rent. However, my employee, who handles the auctions, found about 300 rounds of various calibers of ammo and brought them to me to see if I wanted them.

I'm no expert on ammo, but these were loose in sandwich bags and looked like reloads so I was very skeptical to use them and told him to take the ammo to the police station and see if they could dispose of them (which they did willingly). Would any of you had done anything else differently or are interested if I come across ammo again like this?

Pop the heads off. Keep the brass for scrap metal. Reuse the heads or melt them down if they're lead. Burn the powder for fun. That is what I would have done.

Last thing I would do by the way, is tell someone who doesn't have a license in MA, to bring ammo to a police station. That is illegal. Just incase you did this.

And, I'd absolutely never give the police anything to destroy, that I can legally own and put to other use.

Last edited:
Pop the heads off. Keep the brass for scrap metal. Reuse the heads or melt them down if they're lead. Burn the powder for fun. That is what I would have done.

Last thing I would do by the way, is tell someone who doesn't have a license in MA, to bring ammo to a police station. That is illegal. Just incase you did this.

And, I'd absolutely never give the police anything to destroy, that I can legally own and put to other use.

The employee is licensed as am I. Not being familiar with loading/unloading a cartridge, I was fearful of earning a Darwin award.

The employee is licensed as am I. Not being familiar with loading/unloading a cartridge, I was fearful of earning a Darwin award.

Can't blame you there. I bet someone on here woulda picked it up and done that. Too much of a drive for me. I know if someone local to me posted that, I would have picked it up and put it to good use. Every little bit helps. What caliber cartridges were they? Just a wide variety?

Usual course of action would be to reduce to components, dispose of the powder and reload them with known powder or sell the components.

I'd have given them to someone, anyone, but a PD.

Glue a bb on the primer some feathers on the bullet toss in the air- run.[rolleyes] Use only under adult supervision.[wink]
Nah don't do that that would be wicked dumb.

Glue a bb on the primer some feathers on the bullet toss in the air- run.[rolleyes] Use only under adult supervision.[wink]
Nah don't do that that would be wicked dumb.

It's like lawn darts, with 76% more Darwinism!

I'm sure someone on the forum would have made use of them, whether for components or birthday parties.

Not Exactly:
5.15 CMR 3.06: Firearms Surrender Program
(1.) Date/Time/Location. Persons turning in a firearm(s) shall notify their local law enforcement department or the Department of State Police, in writing or by telephone, informing the department of their desire to surrender a firearm(s). Such persons shall make arrangements with the department regarding date, time, locations, manner, and officer who shall be receiving the firearm(s).
(2.) Firearms Submitted for Disposal. The State Police Firearms Identification Section shall receive firearms, turned in from a Firearms Surrender Program, for disposal from any law enforcement department in the state. The firearms shall be accompanied by an official department request as set forth in 515 CMR 3.06(3) and (4) and submitted as follows:
a.) A copy of the request shall accompany the firearms to serve as a temporary receipt pending the final verification.
b.) Prior to submission each firearm shall be tagged to correspond to the item number listed on the request.
c.) No more than 25 firearms shall be submitted at any one time, unless by approval of the State Police Firearms Identification Section.
(3.) Form of Official Department Request. A request by a law enforcement department for the disposal of firearms shall be on a form prescribed by the Colonel and shall:
a.) Officially request disposal and be signed by the chief of the department or the equivalent of the department's evidence/contraband officer;
b.) Be signed by the officer responsible for submitting the firearms;
c.) List each firearm with a description of the firearm that includes the caliber, manufacturer's name, type or model, and serial number; and
d.) Certify that a stolen record check has been completed through both LEAPS and NCIC on each firearm submitted, with negative results.
(4.) Request Substitute. A court order authorizing the disposal or destruction of firearms may be used in lieu of an official department request.
(5.) Immunity. Persons turning in firearms at the stated date, time and location, as arranged through the police department, shall not be asked for identification and shall be immune from prosecution for possession of such firearm(s) as set forth in G.L. c. 140, § 131O.

It doesn't specify ammo, but they'd get some really bad publicity if they arrested someone for following these guidelines for ammunition.

Take em to the range and dump them in the dud bucket if you want to get rid of them and don't want to take them apart for the components.

Not Exactly:

It doesn't specify ammo, but they'd get some really bad publicity if they arrested someone for following these guidelines for ammunition.

From what I gather in the legal section of this forum, you need a license to possess ammunition in MA. Getting stopped with ammo in your possession without a license, is risky business if you haven't made prior arrangements with the PD.

JackDaniels is right...

M.G.L. c.140 s.129C
No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

>snip<

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

>snip<

(c) To a person voluntarily surrendering a firearm, rifle or shotgun and ammunition therefor to a licensing authority, the colonel of the state police or his designee if prior written notice has been given by said person to the licensing authority or the colonel of the state police, stating the place and approximate time of said surrender;

Can't blame you there. I bet someone on here woulda picked it up and done that. Too much of a drive for me. I know if someone local to me posted that, I would have picked it up and put it to good use. Every little bit helps. What caliber cartridges were they? Just a wide variety?

Some .38 special, a handful of .45, mostly 9mm and .40. Next time I'll post them up for grabs on here for you more qualified reloaders.

From what I gather in the legal section of this forum, you need a license to possess ammunition in MA. Getting stopped with ammo in your possession without a license, is risky business if you haven't made prior arrangements with the PD.

As I mentioned we are licensed, but I don't think the PD would have much to stand on in pressing charges for you having possession because somebody abandoned ammunition on your property. It would be like you finding a buried cache on your property from a previous owner and then telling the PD and them arresting you. The possession was unknown until the ammo was found. However, I agree one should call the PD immediately to make arrangements if not licensed.

Any of the reloaders here would gladly take the ammo off of your hands.

We would dis-assemble the rounds safely, and re-use the brass and bullets to make fresh ammo. That's the safe thing to do with it.

I'd never try shooting some unknown ammo. You would have no idea whether it was made properly, and unsafe ammo could blow up digits and your favorite gun.

So, next time you come across some ammo like that, give a shout in the RELOADING area, or KARMA it off. You'll have lots of happy people.

Back
Top Bottom