• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to do with 76 rounds of .357 that I don't want.

Good afternoon.

About two years back, I bought two boxes of steel cased .357 magnum ammo by mistake. I shot half a box and it was fine, but it takes noticeably more effort to eject the empties from my 1980-vintage Dan Wesson than brass cases, and it takes some of the fun out of it wondering if the next cylinder full will have one that needs to be tapped out. As a result, the balance have just been sitting in the storage cabinet taking up room.

It's Massachusetts, so I can't sell them. None of my friends shoot .357 so I can't give them away to someone I know. I'm far enough from NH that if I tried to do a classified sale to someone there, I'd likely spend more in gas driving there than I'd get for it.

Seems a shame to dump them in the dud bucket. I suppose I could put them away in case of "emergency", but, realistically there's a whole lot of rounds in storage that would be in front of them.

Anyone have any thoughts?

If it's not about the money, karma them at the range with a "free" sign. Maybe write "didn't like steel casings" so people know they are safe to use. Otherwise, sell them.

But that's only if you really need the space. I'd just keep them for the zombie apocalypse myself, where you won't be as nit-picky about casing material.

It's Massachusetts, so I can't sell them.

Why? I agree that you need a license to sell quantities of ammo, but I don't think a couple of boxes is going to trigger any flags.

Where are you located? if you're looking to give them away for free... I would use them in my GP100.

Dude the flippers around here probably sell trailer loads of ammo and nothing happens I think you can sell a couple boxes of 357 mag... Another alternative is just karma it off somebody will take it from you!

throw them in the air like you just don't care
:):D:p

I have a lever action 357 but I don't think I'd try steel case in it, if one gets stuck it's no fun.

Good afternoon.

About two years back, I bought two boxes of steel cased .357 magnum ammo by mistake. I shot half a box and it was fine, but it takes noticeably more effort to eject the empties from my 1980-vintage Dan Wesson than brass cases, and it takes some of the fun out of it wondering if the next cylinder full will have one that needs to be tapped out. As a result, the balance have just been sitting in the storage cabinet taking up room.

It's Massachusetts, so I can't sell them. None of my friends shoot .357 so I can't give them away to someone I know. I'm far enough from NH that if I tried to do a classified sale to someone there, I'd likely spend more in gas driving there than I'd get for it.

Seems a shame to dump them in the dud bucket. I suppose I could put them away in case of "emergency", but, realistically there's a whole lot of rounds in storage that would be in front of them.

I'd gladly take them off your hands depending where in MA you are. I have a few DW revolvers.
As a reloader, I would just break down the ammo to salvage the primers and bullets and scrap the steel and powder.

Last edited:
I thought the lead-in to 122B (" No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed") covered private sales. It doesn't?

If the past 12 years or so have taught me anything, it's that following laws is for fools. There are of course some exceptions and one needs to be discrete. But, because it isn't legal doesn't phase me one bit. Congrats to big.gov on my transformation.

Back
Top Bottom