• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to do about that A2 Front Post Sight?

OK, so I'm not old but my eyes struggle to see targets with the iron sights and using a red dot isn't much better, just faster aiming. I'm looking to put a scope on my AR15 because I enjoy seeing what I hit. However, I have the A2 FPS and watching videos of how to remove it has me wondering. I can't remove the pinned/welded muzzle brake, which means I can't slide off the sight. Has anyone found a way to get around this?
My only option thus far (and the easiest) seems that I would have to grind the sight off. I don't intend on using it again but is that the best route?
(Not paying for a gunsmith to do it)

Comments, advice, concerns. I want to hear.
Thanks!

Yep, if the front sight is on there, and the muzzle brake is welded on, then you are pretty much left with grinding the front sight off.

The option would be to sell the upper to someone who is interested in keeping the front sight and buy/build an upper with a low profile gas block I am guessing.

Edit: WHAT NOT-TOM SAID!!

If you are going to cut it off, you need to cut above where any of the gas routing is.

I ground one down so it would fit under a free-float tube. It was about 5 minutes with an angle grinder.

I also have one with a scope, and the front sight block is still there. With magnification, it is just a barely-noticeable blur. Doesn't really bother me.

I also have one with a scope, and the front sight block is still there. With magnification, it is just a barely-noticeable blur. Doesn't really bother me.

THIS.

Before you cut put the scope on and see how it looks. You can unscrew the post too but I doubt it'll be in the way and great for back up.

You have obviously identified a need to buy another rifle.

But like others have said, I've shot my rifles scoped (assume you mean magnified) with the front sight in place. It's not distracting at all.

And with a red dot, I think the co-witness is a good thing in case the scope fails.

You have obviously identified a need to buy another rifle..

I was trying to avoid that. I'd rather spend money on a scope and scope mount rather than having to buy a new upper. Free float aswell.

So grinding the sight down seems to be the better idea.
I can buy a front flip up sight because my back sight is a flip up.

Gahhh! Decisions decisions.

Dremel with a cut of wheel . Make a cut on each.
Then take a flat head or chisel and tap on the cut mark and it should split into two.

Then buy a bolt together gas block or flip up front sight gas block .

Depending on the profile of the barrel you could slide it forwards to the section that's stepped down and cut the fsgb there . Less risk marking the barrel.

Does this rise above the front sight?
I've seen pics of the black blur and I know it would bug the living hell out of me.
And wouldn't that affect accuracy? The lower to the rail the better, right?
All I can say is borrow one and try it. How well it will work for you will depend, in part, on the scope and mount you use. I am fine with it, but I can't say for certain that it will work satisfactorily for every person and every scope.

Like others have said, you should mount the scope before doing any cutting because it really is a non issue in most cases. I personally love the classic look of the A2 front sight so I might be a bit biased, but I have run mine with both scope and Eotech and it has never distracted me at all.

Like others have said, you should mount the scope before doing any cutting because it really is a non issue in most cases. I personally love the classic look of the A2 front sight so I might be a bit biased, but I have run mine with both scope and Eotech and it has never distracted me at all.

To add to this: don't fix what's not broken.

I have a 3-9x40 scope on an AR-specific mount like the one below that I use on my A4 flattop instead of the carry handle when I'm working up loads, and although it looks out over an F-marked (taller) front sight block, you don't see any of that when you look through the scope at any power between 3 and 9. There's likely no reason to grind anything off unless you want to install a longer handguard that covers the gas block. Both the carry handle sights and the scope hold zero quite well when I remove/reinstall them.

If your upper has a picatinny rail on it and you want to drop my scope and mount on it for a quick test to see if it works for you, shoot me a PM. The Leupold mount is around $100.. the LaRue is even more more money (and likely worth it if you're going to use it hard), but there are other options in the $50 range.

Hope this helps -
Greg

IMS_MK2_1inch_web-530x418.jpg

Just cut my Fsight last night. I bent two brass punches trying to get the bottom pins out and wanted to shoot today (the little roll pin on top for the gas tube came right out)!
Said screw it and unleashed my angle grinder with cut off wheel.

I bought a nice Bushnell AR 223 4x12x40 for $100 on Ebay and wanted to zero my new AR build.

Just cut my Fsight last night. I bent two brass punches trying to get the bottom pins out and wanted to shoot today (the little roll pin on top for the gas tube came right out)!
Said screw it and unleashed my angle grinder with cut off wheel.

I bought a nice Bushnell AR 223 4x12x40 for $100 on Ebay and wanted to zero my new AR build.

Those pins are tapered. Are you sure you were going the right way?

Back
Top Bottom