• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to Carry? Sig or Springfield??

I am considering a pistol to carry. I love my Sig 229, but it is a bit bulky to carry. I was thinking either a Sig 239 or Springfield XD sub-compact. Whatever I decide will be .40 S&W. Any opinions on either?

I carry a 239 in a Bianchi Model 7 - Shadow II with a spare mag in a Clip on leather open mag pouch. I have been very happy with it and it is not as cumbersome as some of my full size Sigs. I use it in the canted position and i don't have any problems with it showing even with light clothing.

Carried a 239 for several years. Nice reliable pistol. Easy to draw and present. Works well for smaller hands (like mine). Only down side is the 7 round mags. M&P 40c is about the same size and you get a 10 round mag.

Can't comment on the XD.

I've used Mitch Rosen leather for both.

Owning a P228, a P229 in .40, and 2 P239s (one 9mm and one .40) I have to say my P228 has been my main CCW weapon for years. In overall dimensions the P239 really isn't all that much smaller or lighter, other than the grip being single-stack width.

Just the same, depending on holster, belt, and clothing choice, that small difference can add up I guess. Me, I never felt like there was enough difference to warrant going down in magazine capacity. Not to mention, as well as the P239 shoots, I just plain shoot my P228 better than any other pistol I've ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom