• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what to carry in mexico

going for a week long vacation in mexico
i know i wont be able to pack my rod, does anyone have any thoughts on what i can bring?
i couldnt easily find any info on extendable batons and knives seem like theyre okay if theyre under 3".
i might just have to pick myself up a 4D-cell maglight

What to Carry in Mexico:

Several large, well-trained former US Navy seals with Mexican armed guard permits and automatic weapons. -And and a BP Vest.

Terribly sad really, I used to spend a lot of time in Mexico. There is no place there I would feel safe anymore without a security team I couldn't begin to think about affording.

It's a delightful country with some beautiful, wonderful people. It's just a GD tragedy to see what our insane prohibition policies have caused.

I have heard that one of the best defenses is wasp poison. The aerosol shoots a sold spray that is good up to 20 feet and you do not recover from a shot to the face without medical attention. Available at your local hardware store.

i was just in Mexico City a few weeks ago and was at the airport at the same time that there was a gun fight where the three policeman were killed. Although I didnt witness it we heard some commotion(police sirens, ambulances, police running by us etc etc) That place is a scary place to be. Just be careful no matter where you end up.

Wasp posion is not a bad idea! have heard that as well being very effective also for folks who have been hit with mace and pepper its supposed to be very diffrent and often scares the attacker... From what I understand one of the biggest problems in mexico right now is tourist caught in a cross fire. With that in mind I think the best hing you can carry is a good head on your shoulders... I don't know what your plans are for vacation but if I were you I wouldent get drunk down there that's for sure! I have never been to mexico and don't belive I will ever go but I do know folks have told me don't leave the tourist sections but I have a cusin who goes there for months on end in a very rural area and they only have felt unsafe going to and from the airport

Before you decide on what to use as a weapon, consider if you would enjoy the inside of a Mexican jail or prison for several years (if not decades) should you be arrested for using it.

you either have balls of steel or no brain if you're going to mexico btw.

it's not all that bad. I've been down there many times over the last few years and my brother is currently working in and around Mexico City. People that over-react about how scary it is down there either don't know what they are talking about, or are giant pussies.

You can usually avoid all trouble by using common sense, which everyone usually has. Now, if you are a America Homebody that lives in suburbia/the sticks and think that a trip into Boston is "risky" or "scary," then I don't know what to tell you. Burn your plane tickets and dig a bomb shelter to live in the rest of your days?

this. smart.

i actually know a girl who was kidnapped in mexico. she managed to escape and nothing nasty happened to her while she
was in captivity--but still. kidnapped in mexico. not what you ever want to hear.

Unlike the US, the norm for 3rd world s-hole kidnappings is successful extortion of everything the family has by the kidnappers. When is the last time you heard of a US ransom kidnapper getting away with it or a Mexican/South American kidnapper getting caught?

A little blurb from the webstie

[FONT=&quot] By following the link on this page to the U.S. State Department’s, Death of U.S. citizen’s abroad from non-natural causes you will see that there are hundreds of victims. Appallingly, thirty-two percent of all “non-natural” deaths of U.S. citizens outside this country occur in Mexico. The travel industry and the United States Government have got to make it clear to the Mexico Department of Tourism that Mexico needs to make improving their safety standards a priority. And that failure to do so will create a serious decline in their tourist industry.
[/FONT]

it's not all that bad. I've been down there many times over the last few years and my brother is currently working in and around Mexico City. People that over-react about how scary it is down there either don't know what they are talking about, or are giant pussies.

You can usually avoid all trouble by using common sense, which everyone usually has. Now, if you are a America Homebody that lives in suburbia/the sticks and think that a trip into Boston is "risky" or "scary," then I don't know what to tell you. Burn your plane tickets and dig a bomb shelter to live in the rest of your days?

this

Lots of U.S. cash for bribes and such.

and this. $$$$$

I was near Cancun last year. NO issues, nothing scary happened. I stayed in a resort, but did explore a little. Many people offered to sell me coke or weed, just keep walking don't even look at them, don't go in their shops after they offer you drugs.

I take my family (wife and kids) to Cancun twice a year. I just pack my normal EDC knife (SOG PE) in my luggage and have that with me.

I use common sense in these crazed times down there as the PD in Cancun is not what one would call clean. I don't go out after dark, period. Maybe return around dark if necessary. When it gets near dark, I only use the cabs. Agree to a fare before entering the cab. Daytime travel is all by bus.

Honestly, I have never felt truly threatened. Been followed and cased in the downtown Cancun area (he markets not the strip), but I won't go back there anymore after the Holiday Inn was taken over for a few hours for a meeting of those in power (not the Mexican gov). All guests were nicely asked to leave for the afternoon, while the requesters were armed to the teeth. That was about 5-6 years ago, and we were not there, but a good friend of mine who travels there alot was. All set with that.

Tourist destinations tend to be "safer", until it's 3 in the morning and your drunk getting in a bus. Not a good place to be.

Spring Break is near dead down there now. We are usually there during that period and the past 2 years t hasn't even been noticeable. Now, 15 years ago when we started going it was mayhem during break, but fun.

Back
Top Bottom