What to build next?**Imbel FAL**

My vote is a Cetme C. It’s the predecessor to the HK G3. Part kits can be had for $99-150. You can bend a flat with a piece of unistrut and 20mm rod, or borrow a bend jig. I’ve got a couple waiting to be built along with a sten, and a KGKT. Another good cool/cheap option is a Suomi M31
I am looking for a jig to rent where can u rent them

I ended up buying a CETME kit from Sarco, still waiting for it to come in but man barrels are impossible to find. CETME, HK91, PTR, nothing anywhere. Atleast it wasn't expensive. (Yes I've found a couple barrels for $300+, f that)

I've been looking at the Galil ARM kits for a while now but I feel like getting mags will be a issue.

Back to the drawing board for now.

I ended up buying a CETME kit from Sarco, still waiting for it to come in but man barrels are impossible to find. CETME, HK91, PTR, nothing anywhere. Atleast it wasn't expensive. (Yes I've found a couple barrels for $300+, f that)

I've been looking at the Galil ARM kits for a while now but I feel like getting mags will be a issue.

Barrels will come back in stock. You just have to be patient.

While I'm waiting for barrels to appear for the CETME, I figured I would start collecting parts for another build. Picked this up last night, needs a lot of machine work but all in due time, waiting for the cut barrel and receiver pieces to arrive from apex so I can take measurements as well.

IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1207~2.JPG

While I'm waiting for barrels to appear for the CETME, I figured I would start collecting parts for another build. Picked this up last night, needs a lot of machine work but all in due time, waiting for the cut barrel and receiver pieces to arrive from apex so I can take measurements as well.

Welcome to the FAL club! How does the feedramp look?

Ok, you don't have a "unibrow" feedramp. Unibrows have a reputation in the FAL community for being out of spec. Some FALs with unibrows work fine, but a lot don't.

Edit: I took a second look at your picture and Mark's and you don't.

FAL Review: Century Arms International L1A1 Receiver

This is a "unibrow":

1588104026634.png

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 352549
View attachment 352552
Very nice! Keep us updated! Hope your wallet is ready!

Is that an unfinished casting?
It's a "80%" more like 60-70% but still. Where there's a will there is a way.

I also managed to purchase a barreled Imbel kit this morning with the help of C. Stockwell. Rolling along pretty good so far. Once the receivers gets here I'm sure that will take quite a bit of work. So far I am into everything for a little less than $600.

rbQqHz2h.jpg

Awesome! Hopefully you can make this build less than $1500. That would be quite an accomplishment. That's a badass muzzle brake!

Awesome! Hopefully you can make this build less than $1500. That would be quite an accomplishment. That's a badass muzzle brake!

[laugh]

It's a regular FN combination device with a blank firing adapter put on the end. The blank adapters come on and off.

It's a "80%" more like 60-70% but still. Where there's a will there is a way.

I also managed to purchase a barreled Imbel kit this morning with the help of C. Stockwell. Rolling along pretty good so far. Once the receivers gets here I'm sure that will take quite a bit of work. So far I am into everything for a little less than $600.

View attachment 352802
Nice. Receivers are hard to come by. I haven’t had any luck finding one.

Picked this up last night, needs a lot of machine work but all in due time, waiting for the cut barrel and receiver pieces to arrive from apex so I can take measurements as well.

I have SBL and FN blueprints. Good to have physical parts and the blueprints to cross-check before making chips. Send an Email or PM if you think you might want them for your build. I used the SBL prints when I machined mine (didn't have the FN prints at the time).

Good thing those feedramps are done. Those buggers were a pain to set up for cutting!

... 'Cause everyone like pics. A FAL mutt... :cool:

PGUfVnK.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the parts started rolling in today. One of the two receivers I purchased came in. I was told it was Century but honestly I'm not sure, it has some weird identifiers and lines on it that don't show up on any other FAL receiver I've looked at, and has NO stampings anywhere. The other one coming is indeed a R1A1 Sportster.

Here's what I have so far:
IMG_20200501_201109.jpg

My online research indicates that the only 80% FAL uppers came from Century production.

Here's some pics of the oddball receiver, my only guess is it could be OLD, very OLD.

The rear locking lug isn't angle cut, I haven't found that on any yet:
IMG_20200501_100943.jpg

No gas piston hole drilled or anything, I've only seen that on Olympic receivers:
IMG_20200501_100918.jpg

The front trunnion area has a shit ton of material still there:
IMG_20200501_100904.jpg

The diagonal line coming down across the magwell comes down at a angle like the Century ones, but none of the Century have a flat spot leading to the pivot pin:
IMG_20200501_100850.jpg

The extra hump of material on the rear inside of the receiver I have only seen on FN unfinished and Olympic receivers but not Century:
IMG_20200501_100840.jpg

This last one is throwing me through a loop, you can see the pad along the receiver where the charging handle rides along, the bottom right corner has that weird notched bevel to it, every other one I've seen has that section squared off:
IMG_20200501_100827.jpg

My online research indicates that the only 80% FAL uppers came from Century production.
From what I gather there was Century, Olympic Arms, Supposedly some Coonan 80% out there and I've seen a couple FN stamped unfinished receiver. The dimensions I've checked so far show there is definitely plenty material on this one to work with.

Surprised it didn’t come up but build a Galil: parts kits, mags and receivers are available at relatively reasonable prices and if done right you end up with the Cadillac of AKs. Accurate like an AR but indestructible like the AK. My $0.02.

From what I gather there was Century, Olympic Arms, Supposedly some Coonan 80% out there and I've seen a couple FN stamped unfinished receiver. The dimensions I've checked so far show there is definitely plenty material on this one to work with.

As far as machining goes, as long as the metal is there, and there are no obvious casting flaws, doesn't really matter what the source was.

For heat-treating, would be good to know the source, and steel type used. Might be best to get someone to test it with an XRF. Maybe magnaflux it for cracks - could be a factory reject.

As far as machining goes, as long as the metal is there, and there are no obvious casting flaws, doesn't really matter what the source was.

For heat-treating, would be good to know the source, and steel type used. Might be best to get someone to test it with an XRF. Maybe magnaflux it for cracks - could be a factory reject.
I was going to magnaflux it and test the hardness on Monday. If it checks out ok I'll probably proceed with starting this one as a "practice" receiver. I have a genuine Century R1A1 coming from a nice gentleman in Maine who only slightly price gouged me still a good price though.

No real progress yet, just doing a lot of research and reviewing all the prints I have. I did have a chance to order some tooling though. I have the 1'-16 bottom tap, 9/16-24 bottom tap on the way, already had the 8mm reamer and the 1/8" woodruff cutter I need. The new taps only cost me about $50 going through my work.

The one bright side is the Century R1A1 Sportster receiver came in, it looks great but it does have a slight bow in the center, might just be the external dimensions, seems to have plenty of meat to square it up.

IMG_20200508_163218.jpg
IMG_20200508_163229.jpg

That Century one doesn't look heat treated either, is it?
It looks raw because I ran it through the sand blaster to clean off the rust inhibitor coating. I didn't have a chance to Rockwell it yet, will do that Monday morning. Regardless I have a heat treat oven at work that we use for all our tooling.

Before blasting:
IMG_20200508_134740.jpg

Cetme barrels are back in stock at sarco

Cetme barrels are back in stock at sarco
Yeah they were in stock about a week ago and had more dropped into their lap the other day. Already grabbed one. The finish is ROUGH, if they weren't hard to find/get I'd return it. 

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_071632.jpg
    IMG_20200516_071632.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom