What to build next?**Imbel FAL**

84ta406

NES Member
Hey guys, been wanting to do a new build recently and tossed around a few ideas but I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've considered a RPK, HK91, 1911, UZI 16" carbine as the front runners but looking for other suggestions. The one thing I am trying to avoid is some of the oddball caliber builds.

Aside from those what do you guys think would be a good build? I have pretty much unlimited tools, welders, presses and milling machines at my disposal.

Last edited:
How much challenge are you looking for? If you have already built an AK, the RPK is very similar and might be a good choice if you just want to get it done. Seems like a 1911 would challenge your machining & gun smithing skills to do it right. HK or UZI would be very cool, but wouldn't those require buying or making special tools?

I don't mind a good challenge. I've done a AK before but was recently looking at a M72B Yugo RPK. The 1911 is definitely a top choice with regards to machining, my mill can hold .001 which is good enough for me. The HK requires tooling but I do know someone who owns the tooling. From what I gather the UZI is best when using a jig to line everything up for welding but no actual tooling after that.

Go with the 1911. You'll learn a ton along the way. If you do chose to, I may have some cutters that helped me along the way.

The important question is what you enjoy the most, the road or the destination?

Uzi is a simple build if you got all the parts. It goes in waves to get all of them at reasonable price, kits are not rare but semi bolts are, sometimes you just can't get them, then they are everywhere, so sense of timing is also a big factor.

1911s are pretty addictive once you get all the tooling, jigs, good set of files and you like to take time to get there.

Try a FN FAL. Very simple and functional once finished. However, building it will drive you bonkers. I have a lot of extra parts if you need.

My vote is a Cetme C. It’s the predecessor to the HK G3. Part kits can be had for $99-150. You can bend a flat with a piece of unistrut and 20mm rod, or borrow a bend jig. I’ve got a couple waiting to be built along with a sten, and a KGKT. Another good cool/cheap option is a Suomi M31

Try a FN FAL. Very simple and functional once finished. However, building it will drive you bonkers. I have a lot of extra parts if you need.
I’d love to build one, but receivers are hard to come by.

My vote is a Cetme C. It’s the predecessor to the HK G3. Part kits can be had for $99-150. You can bend a flat with a piece of unistrut and 20mm rod, or borrow a bend jig. I’ve got a couple waiting to be built along with a sten, and a KGKT. Another good cool/cheap option is a Suomi M31

A Suomi M31 would be an awesome build, but aren't semi-auto bolts unobtanium? I could be wrong about the specific part, but I thought there was a key part that was almost impossible to find now.

I'm curious why the CETME is so much cheaper than the HK91 kits. It's mostly the same parts. Does the HK stamp really induce the bigger pricetag?

Dang, thank u for the information. Ill look more into this.best place to get partkit for cetme ?

Out of all those mentioned a 1911 would be the one with the widest range of success... you can build one that shoots and functions, or a work of art of heirloom grade quality. I have built a bunch of guns, besides the belt feds, the 1911's are my favorite

I'm curious why the CETME is so much cheaper than the HK91 kits. It's mostly the same parts. Does the HK stamp really induce the bigger pricetag?
People want the HK name. The HK G3 does have a better trigger pack.

A Suomi M31 would be an awesome build, but aren't semi-auto bolts unobtanium? I could be wrong about the specific part, but I thought there was a key part that was almost impossible to find now.
You basically have to convert your own semi, or pay someone to convert your bolt. There are a couple guys you can send you bolt to for the conversion.

I was avoiding that for the simple fact that I didn't want to add a new caliber right now. Especially one that's not as common as others. My luck Is build something and not be able to find ammo haha

Aside from those what do you guys think would be a good build? I have pretty much unlimited tools, welders, presses and milling machines at my disposal.

Well, with all the tooling, it's just a matter of picking something you like, and go to town.

I have only a half-assed collection of tools, and suck at welding, but I've knocked together all sorts of things - 1911 frame, FAL receiver, semiauto Suomi M31, Sten, etc, and am working on an MP40 'pistol', an Australian Owen, and Japanese Type 99 LMG and Type 100 SMG clones.

Whatever you end up making, be sure to post up some pics of your work!

Currently winning a GB auction for a FMP G3 kit with original barrel. I've always wanted a 7.62x51 battle rifle so I'm running with it even though a AR10 is probably easier and cheaper.

This COVID 19 has me climbing the walls and looking for projects. I would love to build myself a 1911. Would the NES Oracle be able to suggest the best way to go? Best companies for parts? I do not have access to a mill. Unless purchasing a harbor freight type is a decent investment? I have always been the type everything on my own and learned the hard way! Just looking for some guidance from members.

Thank you in advance.

I would love to build myself a 1911. .... I do not have access to a mill. Unless purchasing a harbor freight type is a decent investment? I have always been the type everything on my own and learned the hard way! Just looking for some guidance from members.

By "build", do you mean you'd like to make the frame also? If so, Tactical Machining makes "80%" 1911 frames that could be finished without a mill if you're proficient with hand tools. There are also some "raw" "0%" 1911 frame castings, but they require at least a small table-top mill. If you like making stuff, a small mill is a nice addition to the tool collection. Even one of the el-cheapo Chinese jobbers can be made to work reasonably well.

This COVID 19 has me climbing the walls and looking for projects. I would love to build myself a 1911. Would the NES Oracle be able to suggest the best way to go? Best companies for parts? I do not have access to a mill. Unless purchasing a harbor freight type is a decent investment? I have always been the type everything on my own and learned the hard way! Just looking for some guidance from members.

Thank you in advance.

For your first 1911 I would suggest getting a finished frame transferred through an FFL, A Caspian is a safe bet there is plenty of challenge in fitting the components to the frame and slide....If you go with high end machined parts you will have a few buck tied up in this build and it would be a shame for the weakest link to be a subpar 80% frame... I have done both and the the guns built on Caspian and STI frames are hands down better...... I am sure availability of quality 80% 1911 frames are more abundant now than when I was building them 10+ years ago... My first was a 80% frame made by KT Ordnance with an argentine colt parts kit from Sarco. was into the whole thing for a few hundred, it shoots fine but just nothing special.

For your first 1911 I would suggest getting a finished frame transferred through an FFL, A Caspian is a safe bet there is plenty of challenge in fitting the components to the frame and slide....If you go with high end machined parts you will have a few buck tied up in this build and it would be a shame for the weakest link to be a subpar 80% frame... I have done both and the the guns built on Caspian and STI frames are hands down better...... I am sure availability of quality 80% 1911 frames are more abundant now than when I was building them 10+ years ago... My first was a 80% frame made by KT Ordnance with an argentine colt parts kit from Sarco. was into the whole thing for a few hundred, it shoots fine but just nothing special.
I will definitely look into going that route. Appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom