What to bring back from England

smokey-seven

NES Member
Friends grand son will be returning from a 2 year hitch in England. He is due to make E5 soon and has over 9 months left to be there.

Does the military still ship stuff back for free when E5 and above? When I left from there in the 60's I could have had a car shipped on Uncle's dime. Being outside the country that long means it's duty free as well IIRC.

His G dad will front the money for a purchase or 3. Any suggestions as to what to buy and is the above still in effect?

I can't think of anything, really.

A car wouldn't work because the car would have to be retrofitted with an right-hand drive steering wheel. That and there's nothing really special about British cars anymore. The British motorcycle industry is pretty much dead except for the reboot of Norton. Pretty sure the guy's family won't want to spend £20,000 on one of those. He probably won't be able to buy a gun considering British gun laws.

Maybe some really good, unobtanium Scotch or wine? The English wine industry is becoming a serious thing now. Beer wouldn't have a long enough shelf life.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're making motorcycles under the Norton name again. Bring back a new Commando or maybe an Atlas. Be the first kid on the block with a new Norton.

Get them while you can.

Norton Motorcycles goes into administration (bankruptcy)
The famous British motorbike company Norton Motorcycles has gone into administration.
The Leicestershire firm was reportedly struggling to pay a tax bill and faced a winding-up order.
Founded in 1898, Norton is one of the last remaining British motorcycle brands and best known for its involvement in motorsport.
The administration puts about 100 jobs at its Castle Donington factory in question.

Back
Top Bottom