What striker fired gun?

FLHTC

NES Member
I’m in the market for a striker fired gun for compatision (IDPA Steel Challenge). I’m not a Glock guy however I’ve narrowed my search to. Sig P320 or the H&K VP9.

I understand the Sig trigger issues and I feel they’ve been resolved.

What are the pros and cons to the two guns I’ve listed?

Thank you

Watch the Military Arms Channel review on both pistols. Tim used to carry a VP9 but found it to be unreliable under (albeit somewhat extreme) carry conditions and with the factory recoil spring is somewhat undersprung.

The P320 exhibited a few light strikes but fared better in reliability.

I've owned both pistols and would buy either in a heartbeat. The Sig modularity thing is cool, but is really an answer searching for a question. I like that its American made, in NH, and that aftermarket support is superb.

The VP9 has a really nice trigger and great grips, I also shot it really well, but is a little large compared to other quality striker fired guns on the market today.

My .02.

Third choice is the Smith and Wesson M&P Compact. One of my favorite pistols. Decent trigger, right size, overall very pleased so far.

I mostly use a G17 for IDPA's and steel shoots. I sometimes swap in a VP9. But what I like about the Glock is that I can pretty much replace everything on it for short money. I even bought another G17 for a back up just in case of a failure (see below) while at a shoot as my main G17 is coming close to 10K rounds through it.

Only issues was a worn guide rod (had a spare and fixed it at a shoot) and had an after market connector break at a shoot (had to borrow a gun to finish, hence the backup gun). Thats it... no other issues

I like the VP9 a lot. WAY better trigger. But if something goes on it, it would not be a quick easy fix. And not a lot of spare parts so I've seen online. Glock has all their parts everywhere and lots of aftermarket stuff.

I tried the P320 and hated how it felt and pointed. So that killed that for me.

I had 2 M&P 9's which I wanted to use for IDPA before I got my first G17. But I was not happy and sold them off. The M&P 2.0 looks nice, but have to pick one up to see how it feels. But it would not at this point replace my G17

You should try them both out, see which fits best. You can go to a place like Mass Firearms and rent them, try before you buy.

I vote for P320, it's comfortable, smooth, and more accurate than I am so far.

I really like the sig but you should try them both and buy whichever you shoot best. I'm terrible, but I shoot a Glock best. I tried a few and the M&P felt best in my hand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and I wanted to shoot it gooder but the gun hates me.

My vp9 has many thousands of rounds down range and has performed flawlessly. Fits my hand like a glove. Mags are 'spensive. LOVE the mag release.

Glock 19, not as comfy, don't shoot as well...cheaper mags..more rounds.

What do you shoot better?

My recommendation is to go to Granite State range in Hudson, NH. They rent guns by caliber, meaning you pay $20 for 9mm, and can spend all day trying different 9mm guns for that initial fee. It's by far the best place I've found to go test a bunch of junk out. They have all the ones you're looking at or have been mentioned. You have to buy their ammo, but you'd have to do that anywhere you rent guns.

Either pistol is great, as is anything that's mentioned. If you are serious about competition, you won't find many top competitors using the VP9, not sure about the Sig. I know because I have a VP9, and have recently been going to practices and while it is fine for that and I will likely try some matches with it, I went into it knowing it's not very well represented.

Last edited:
+1 on the try before you buy, and granite state range is great for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sig is the only actual answer here.

No. I wanted to like the 320. I really did. A few of friends have them and I have shot a few on different occasions, mostly for IDPA practice sessions. Didn't care for it. It just never felt right. I'll stick with my tricked out M&P for striker fire.

No. I wanted to like the 320. I really did. A few of friends have them and I have shot a few on different occasions, mostly for IDPA practice sessions. Didn't care for it. It just never felt right. I'll stick with my tricked out M&P for striker fire.

If the question is P320 or VP9 the answer can’t be M&P. If it was none of the above, it would be Glock, because perfection.

+1 for the VP9. Runs everything I've put through it without fail, and thanks to the grips it fits my hand like a glove.

Ultimately, go shoot both and decide.

If the question is P320 or VP9 the answer can’t be M&P. If it was none of the above, it would be Glock, because perfection.

If I had to pick between the two then it would be the VP9.

I have a G17 and it is a safe queen. Not a big fan of it. I will admit my friend brought a new Gen 5 G17 to the club last week and it felt real nice in my hand. It was brand new but we couldn't pop it off because it was after dark and the small bore rifle guys had the indoor range reserved.

320 > VP9. For competition, you would have to deal with the HK paddles for quick reloads. That would probably put you in a disadvantage. Also, the VP9 feels less robust and lower quality than other HKs. The 320 does everything well enough.

If you answer isn't "a Glock" you are just wrong. LOL

As far as "shooting what fits best" the human being can become accustomed to just about anything. Look at the Glock. Honestly - did anyone ever go "Oh mah gahhhh, that thing is like someone massaging my fingers with a bewb or som'pin." No. It's large and blocky. The reason they are so popular is they were first and they just worked. Simplistic, even.

I go Glock BECAUSE it was the first, ergo I am used to it. I'm not a fan of the 45/100 frames, but the grip inserts help.

My point is: You can get "comfortable" with any platform. So it comes down to what you "like" the best. Buy that.

I think you're wrong. B/c I love Glocks. I've owned Kahrs. I've owned M&P's. I've owned SA/DA Sig's. I just shoot Glocks significantly better.

The VP9 fails the mallet test - in fact it was the repeat of that test on the P320 that led to the P320 recall. HK continues to deny any issues with the VP9 because you suck and they hate you.

/It’s also well known that I only troll on Tuesdays and alternate Wednesdays.

What about a Springfield Armory XD model? I own an XD in 40 caliber and love it. I even traded in my Beretta .40 because it was just too damned big and heavy. The SA is a lot more ergonomically friendly, imho. Just a suggestion.

The VP9 fails the mallet test - in fact it was the repeat of that test on the P320 that led to the P320 recall. HK continues to deny any issues with the VP9 because you suck and they hate you.

/It’s also well known that I only troll on Tuesdays and alternate Wednesdays.

I was looking around for the VP9 failing any impact test, and couldn't find anything. Do you have a source?

I know the VP9 was the one that fudged the bed really bad in the MAC sand/mud test, but I hadn't seen any impact (hammer or drop) testing that it failed.

Back
Top Bottom