What Snowblower are you using?

dcmdon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   1
They came with my blower but I lost them in the move. I never used them because they made parking the snowblower in the garage much more difficult.
On one of the Ariens videos, it shows the person swinging them down when not in use. If you couldn't lower them, it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Looking at this thread, I have snow blower envy. My little 15 year old TroyBilt still meets my needs without any really fancy features. I now find myself praying for it to die. But it still starts on the first pull when I remember to prime it, set the throttle to full, and turn on the choke.

Don

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Edited: This machine has gone to it's new owner...

I currently have a Yard Machines 2-cycle 21" 4.5HP single stage machine, maybe 5 years old.
I want this to go to someone who can use it, not to someone who will resell it.
Send me a PM.

Thanks to those here who have helped me in deciding which machine to buy.
-Harvey

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
After the last 2 storms I definitely am going to look at a bigger snow blower. The Ariens 1128 I have now worked but it would bog down in the deeper drifts and the plowed banks at the end of my driveway is a battle. This is no small machine 28" cut and if the hp is correct 11.5 hp.
I'm looking at the Ariens Hydro Pro line and yes I know big bucks but I have a huge yard and driveway to clear and need as much horse power I can get.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
After the last 2 storms I definitely am going to look at a bigger snow blower. The Ariens 1128 I have now worked but it would bog down in the deeper drifts and the plowed banks at the end of my driveway is a battle. This is no small machine 28" cut and if the hp is correct 11.5 hp.
I'm looking at the Ariens Hydro Pro line and yes I know big bucks but I have a huge yard and driveway to clear and need as much horse power I can get.
The biggest Ariens (Pro 28, Pro 32, Pro Track 28, Hydro Pro Track 28, Hydro Pro Track 28) now have a 420cc B&S with 21 ft lbs of torque. The Honda HS1332TA has a GX390 with 19.5 ft lbs of torque. But no handwarmers! The Tecumseh 11.5hp / 318cc OHV motor I believe is rated at 14.5 ft lbs of torque. Nothing to sneeze at but the machines above have more.

How many acres are you clearing? The tractor PTO mounted snow throwers are big, wide, and fast and you have a front end loader for cleanup as well.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The biggest Ariens (Pro 28, Pro 32, Pro Track 28, Hydro Pro Track 28, Hydro Pro Track 28) now have a 420cc B&S with 21 ft lbs of torque. The Honda HS1332TA has a GX390 with 19.5 ft lbs of torque. But no handwarmers! The Tecumseh 11.5hp / 318cc OHV motor I believe is rated at 14.5 ft lbs of torque. Nothing to sneeze at but the machines above have more.

How many acres are you clearing? The tractor PTO mounted snow throwers are big, wide, and fast and you have a front end loader for cleanup as well.
Backyard is a parking area big enough to have a basketball game,driveway 40 ft x 10 ft at a guess. Thought about a tractor with a plow or a Bobcat with a bucket but my concern is repair costs on those two as my DYI abilities are quite limited. With the Ariens if it breaks after the warranty expires I can call the dealer and have them repair it with pick up and return included. If what the dealer told me 420 cc is 14-15 hp.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I just bought an Ariens 24" Platinum SHO with 10.5 HP engine. It went through everything that the past two storms threw at us with relative ease.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have to admit that the bigger machines aren't cheap but I'm a firm believer in overkill. I'd rather have more hp/torque/ft-lbs than not enough. The plows around here seem to have the ability to turn a snow back into something akin to cement.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have two Toro 826 LE's. A newer one at my house that I bought about 7 years ago as i put mny older one at my parents house that i use to clear their snow away. Just started having a throwing problem with the older one this year. Not sure of the cause but after reading some posts it may be the auger belt....if it has one. I will have to check as all machines are different. However before I start pulling that thing apart i will be waiting for the weather to warm up. Otherwise, we haven't received so much snow that coudn't be handled by those machines. I love the joystick chute that my b-in-law's Ariens doesn't have. No cranking so that is a nice feature. They always start first pull even thought they both have electric start it takes longer to run the cord...lol So pretty happy with those machines. The first one i bought in 95 so i cannot complain about that one there...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ariens drift cutters fold back or lock forward in seconds, I can tighten them down either way but the way the notches are set up you can leave them loose and just fold back as needed

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them up when the snow is taller than the bucket, it's great for the 2nd pass where you cut into the wall, not a whole lot better for the first pass but still helpful.

At some point when the snow is much taller than the cutters they start becoming less useful and you need to pull out the shovel

dcmdon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   1
I have to admit that the bigger machines aren't cheap but I'm a firm believer in overkill. I'd rather have more hp/torque/ft-lbs than not enough. The plows around here seem to have the ability to turn a snow back into something akin to cement.
I agree with this completely. Im trying to come up with a way to justify upgrading. But its tough. My new driveway is about 25 ft long and my little TroyBilt allows me to clear a 6" snowfall in about 20 min.

When we had 3 ft, it took a couple of hrs to do the drive, sidewalk and walkway. not too bad.

This year, the problem has been that the snow is deeper than teh bucket is tall. But even still, it never bogs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely have snow where it's taller than the bucket (except the plowed stuff at the end of driveway) but have been thinking about adding a piece of sheet metal between the drift cutters to prevent snow from over-topping the bucket. Maybe when I pull it apart to paint, I'll rig up something that can be easily removed.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got my new Ariens compact 22" snowblower delivered this afternoon.
It's my first 2 stage machine.
Since we are getting snow the next couple of days, I need to ask...
Can the new machine go after the hard stuff in and around the plowed snow banks that's been left from the previous storms or just "new" snow?
When the driver dropped the machine off I pointed to the snow "nuggets" that were around and he told me not to do it. He left me with the opinion that the new machine was delicate.
Where do you draw the line?

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I got my new Ariens compact 22" snowblower delivered this afternoon.
It's my first 2 stage machine.
Since we are getting snow the next couple of days, I need to ask...
Can the new machine go after the hard stuff in and around the plowed snow banks that's been left from the previous storms or just "new" snow?
When the driver dropped the machine off I pointed to the snow "nuggets" that were around and he told me not to do it. He left me with the opinion that the new machine was delicate.
Where do you draw the line?

Put a bag of shear pins in your pocket, and go for it. You'll find the limits of your machine.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
When the driver dropped the machine off I pointed to the snow "nuggets" that were around and he told me not to do it. He left me with the opinion that the new machine was delicate. Where do you draw the line?
Can you do it? Sure - but he gave you good advice.

I took the Honda 928 out yesterday on some of that stuff and basically machine-gunned the neighborhood.

The machine should have come with a spare shear pin or two - find it. If you pm me your name and address I'll send you a shear pin holster I made on our 3D printer.

Made one for the Honda as well.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Are the drift cutters a good thing to get?
Nice feature but most years you'll never use them. I've wanted them a few times but never felt crippled not having them. You can always chop banks down a little with a shovel if things get really bad... Now, my tune would probably change if i had to cut through deep drifted sidewalks and pathways all the time though.. because you're pretty much stuck behind the machine with those.

-Mike

ColdDayInHell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nice feature but most years you'll never use them. I've wanted them a few times but never felt crippled not having them. You can always chop banks down a little with a shovel if things get really bad... Now, my tune would probably change if i had to cut through deep drifted sidewalks and pathways all the time though.. because you're pretty much stuck behind the machine with those.

-Mike
NSFW

Pushing the snow like Tony Montana!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
In January I was lamenting that my brand new snowblower was sitting unused in the garage. I wondered if I'd ever use it.

Be careful what you ask for... you might get it.

:-(

Top Bottom