What Size Bipod for AR15?

What size bipod do ya'll recommend for an AR15 platform? Finishing up a 18" barrel AR15 build and looking to add a bipod.

The only bipod I currently own is a Harris 6" - 9" Leg Notch Bipod, that sits on a bolt rifle. This seems like it would be tall enough. Curious to hear from everyone else though.

The 6-9" would be easier to clear the full size mag but I generally use the shorter 10 or 20 rd mags when shooting from a rest so it depends on preference. Are you just going to be shooting at the range or do you expect to use it in the field? Uneven ground would beg for the taller bipod but you could work with just about anything at the range.

Depends on use as noted above. The one you have should be fine for range use and if you hunt with it go try it and see if it works for you. Good excuses to go to the range or hunting.

I don't understand some people. You have a bipod... Attach the friggin thing to your rifle and see if that's the height you want. If too short, buy a longer one. How complicated can it be?

Will be be using the bipod for bench rest and prone shooting.

I don't understand some people. You have a bipod... Attach the friggin thing to your rifle and see if that's the height you want. If too short, buy a longer one. How complicated can it be?

I was able to estimate with my current bipod, but since it only has a swivel stud attachment and not a rail setup I couldn't mount it to the AR. Also was curious if others were using the same height or larger.

Will be be using the bipod for bench rest and prone shooting.

I was able to estimate with my current bipod, but since it only has a swivel stud attachment and not a rail setup I couldn't mount it to the AR. Also was curious if others were using the same height or larger.

Some people are fatter than others. What may be prone to you may be kneeling for me or standing for Ben... It all depends on the tazer position.

For me from a bench 6" is fined for 20s and 9" works for 30s.

Last edited:
I just deleted 14 posts. Congrats guys, you managed to crap up a thread about a bipod.

Take your slappy fight to PM or continue your rep war. Just stop posting about it here, OK?

ETA: OP, if you use 20-round mags, a 6" to 9" should be fine. If you find that it's too short, buy a treadmill.

Last edited:

And they could always shoot ghetto and clear a drum magazine by sideways shooting. Or.... they could buy 3 long sticks and tie them together with rawhide and balance the barrel in the crotch. (snickers)

I agree that the Atlas is the hell of a bipod, but it might be a little over the top for bench rest. That's kind of bipod is for field use. For range/bench/prone on flat ground, a harris will do, at a fraction of the price.

I agree that the Atlas is the hell of a bipod, but it might be a little over the top for bench rest. That's kind of bipod is for field use. For range/bench/prone on flat ground, a harris will do, at a fraction of the price.

On that note, he may as well get a Blackhawk or equivalent if he is never going to stress it. Why pay even for the Harris when a sandbag will do?

When I use a bipod prone in the field, I like something akin to a Harris because i want to dig the feet in and preload it so I'm pushing forward on it at rest. The Harris is "springy" in a way that lends itself to this kind of shooting.

It's hard to do that with an Atlas or Sinclair bipod, but I prefer the Atlas or Sinclair on the bench.

Nobody has yet made the "perfect" bipod.

After i got my atlas i use it on everthing do to the QD.
I could never go back to the cheapies.

But it is alot easier to justify the $300 on a $40,000 rifle than a $1000 rifle.
I destroyed a few bipods before i bought the atlas.. i wish i bought it sooner.. i'd probibly still would have used the cheapie on some of my beater rifles.

When I use a bipod prone in the field, I like something akin to a Harris because i want to dig the feet in and preload it so I'm pushing forward on it at rest. The Harris is "springy" in a way that lends itself to this kind of shooting.

It's hard to do that with an Atlas or Sinclair bipod, but I prefer the Atlas or Sinclair on the bench.

I find preloading the atlas works well. I'm debating buying the claw " feet" and just screwing them direclty to the shooting bench

Maybe, but the Atlas offers interchangeable feet, skis and spikes. Can't beat that when its muddy ot icey. Also, I think one of the most important features of a bipod is the ability to "can't" your rifle a few degrees to either side. I think the OP first really needs to tell what application the bipod will be for.

Maybe, but the Atlas offers interchangeable feet, skis and spikes. Can't beat that when its muddy ot icey. Also, I think one of the most important features of a bipod is the ability to "can't" your rifle a few degrees to either side. I think the OP first really needs to tell what application the bipod will be for.

How does the Atlas perform when you "lean into it"?

How does the Atlas perform when you "lean into it"?
I don't lean into the bipod when I shoot. So I couldn't really tell you. I didn't own either the bipod not the Surgeon rifle it was mounted to. Both way out of my price class.

I lean more forward and down on the Atlas but full auto.. so the experience may be different semi auto or precision shooting.
What i like more than the "cant" is the ability to pan left to right with out the legs wanting wobble/walk over.. sorry i don't know the techincal term.

Back
Top Bottom