What side should I heel a bird dog.

I know the standard is left side but I often walk her where other people also walk their dogs.i prefer to keep my dog on the outside just so the dogs aren't meeting head on. I'm a right handed shooter but does it make that much difference. I hope there are some bird dog guys out there but I wouldn't expect many because we don't have any birds and it's a lot tougher than teaching site.
11 week old Brittany who is house trained. Shes already my Copilot. A dog is a great thing. Unconditional love and affection and forgiveness.

No experience with bird dogs per se... I dated a dog trainer years back when I had a 1/2 rottie 1/2 golden mix. Incredibly smart dog in many ways. Would NOT heel on the right, took to the left like a duck to water. Dog trainer g/f said "Dogs heel to the left, that's what they do." I think there was something about "handedness" involved, the dogs', not the persons', just that dogs naturally want to be on your left, like horses almost always want to be mounted from (I believe) the left side.

As to meeting other dogs, just move over a little bit... But mostly, trust that the dog will do significantly better naturally on one side over the other, probably your left.

I don't know a thing about bird dogs but I hold the leash in my left hand when I walk the dog because I carry on the right. He's a Shih-Tzu so I have a mild fear of a coyote attack or a dog-napping. Might be a factor if you walk him often.

In reality, it makes little difference.

Left is standard and thats where my oldest heals.
My second dog heals on the right so I can walk both dogs together easy

I walk on the left side of the street facing oncoming traffic.

Dog is to the left of me, away from traffic.

Bike paths complicate matters because bikers and walkers are suppose to be on the right.

As stated above, standard is the opposite of the side you carry your shotgun. I trained my lab to heel on the right, as I am left handed. If your not going to work her/him, like WEC said, pick a side that suits you for whatever reason and stick to it.

If the only reason you want to heel the dog on the right is greeting other oncoming dogs, you should train for that scenario. Keep some small treats or kibble in your pocket. When you see someone approaching, SIT the dog. Dog remains sitting until the oncoming person/dog passes, then give the treat. It won't take long before the dog will sit on his own when he sees someone coming. Repetition and reward and he will figure it out quickly. Mine always heel on my left as I use my right for carrying the gun. Dogs are also trained to retrieve to heel position (on my left) where I can take the bird with my left hand while still holding my gun in my right. It does have a practical purpose.

Edit to add, if you are conceal carrying and are right handed, you do NOT want to be holding your leash with your right hand.

Both, but mine spends 99% on the left. Left side is "Heel" and Right side is "Side". When approaching other dogs, I will usually have my dog sit behind me. I start all these commands early with a clicker and treats for a puppy. They learn so fast.

Also, we need pictures!

Back
Top Bottom