• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What should I know about an early model S&W 29?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I'm on the hunt for a blued S&W M29 w/ a 6.5" bbl and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be aware of in the earlier models. Any version to stay away from or that are lacking options that came in later models? As with any hunt, looking is a big part of the fun. Especially in today's climate. Just want to make sure I'm aware of anything that could bite me in the butt with any particular version.

Thanks

Some of the early ones weren't the strongest. They tweaked the frames and the mechanicals in one of the later 29-dash versions. Not sure of the dash series, but the later ones will stand up to more and heavier loads. The NES experts will chime in soon.
I think the 6.5" barrel was a later option (stock barrel length being 6"), and as time went on they offered nickel and other barrel lengths and designs like the full underlug as well as the stainless 629 models. Great guns. Enjoy the quest.

I have an early one the pre. number one, and i had a early 29. As long as the timing, and lock up are good then your all set to go.

Older 29s and 629s have pinned barrels, recessed cylinders, and hammer mounted firing pins, desirable features for a collector. Beautiful guns. My 629-4 was made in the mid 90s, not pinned and recessed but has the hammer mounted firing pin (I prefer the look) and is composed of pre MIM parts. Someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in, my knowledge is a little hazy since I haven’t done too much research since buying the gun.

As said above, if the timing and lock up are good, you shouldn’t have any issues, some might have a bit more cylinder play than others but it’s a non issue if she shoots straight and is timed well.

After watching "Dirty Harry" I had to have a Model 29. I waited a year for it! My love for it was short lived. First time out with commercial ammunition everything loosened up on the gun. I brought it back to S&W, had it fixed and sold it the next day for more than I paid for it. I bought a Ruger 3 screw Super Blackhawk and never looked back> I love the Ruger. The S&W was sure a purty gun but not made for 44 mag.

My buddy had one with a severely eroded forcing cone. I suppose from a steady diet of magnum rounds. I'm not sure how you'd go about checking the forcing cone area. I guess if the wear was severe enough it could be seen upon visual examination. But maybe it would need to be measured by a smith or machinist.

Had one as a kid, my brother bought it on Guam at the PX for $72 new in 1967. It came home with his belongings. After my dad passed I went through his house looking for it, found paperwork that he had sold it to a buddy.

My buddy had one with a severely eroded forcing cone. I suppose from a steady diet of magnum rounds. I'm not sure how you'd go about checking the forcing cone area. I guess if the wear was severe enough it could be seen upon visual examination. But maybe it would need to be measured by a smith or machinist.
Easy. If your forcing cone looks like this.....its not good. 😂

20190620_203149.jpg

So I'm on the hunt for a blued S&W M29 w/ a 6.5" bbl and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be aware of in the earlier models. Any version to stay away from or that are lacking options that came in later models? As with any hunt, looking is a big part of the fun. Especially in today's climate. Just want to make sure I'm aware of anything that could bite me in the butt with any particular version.

Thanks
You should know how much it costs and how quickly you can get it.

I don't know of any gotchas, but I do know they're sweet.

it used to fairly easy to find ones in really nice condition. I got this one in 2014 from a guy who was retiring and moving out of state - no box but pretty sure never fired... I am embarrassed to say what I paid for it... I have owned a 629 6" for much longer. It went back to SW for a tune up and got re-proofed - apparently there was some issue with the steel used but have never had a single issue functionally. The 29 has not seen the same use but it has been flawless... you really need to re-load that caliber to get the most out of it... I also shoot .44 special almost exclusively - a steady diet of hot magnum loads is going to accelerate wear on even the most well made handgun.

S6ASadI.jpg

Get a pinned and recessed model. I think it was around '80 that they stopped doing that. I had a 29-2 6.5" with presentation box and tools. One of those "too bad I sold it" guns.

as a model 29/629 collector, I wouldn’t acquire an older model 29 for the purpose of shooting. They’re too valuable and increasing in value. any pre-lock model 29 or 629 are highly desirable.

S&W still pumps out model 629s that make excellent shooters. got almost 1000 rds of full juice 44 magnum through a 2018 production 6” 629 half lug. It has held up perfectly. my older revolvers don’t see much use as I now consider them family heirloom pieces and want them for my kids not my ass.

It's the original Dirty Harry gun. That was all I needed to know when I got mine!
[grin]

recently learned that he actually used a model 25 for the movie because the 29 was so difficult to find. the bore on a 25 is also a touch bigger, which helps for the cover photos.

Last edited:
as a model 29/629 collector, I wouldn’t acquire an older model 29 for the purpose of shooting. They’re too valuable and increasing in value. any pre-lock model 29 or 629 are highly desirable.

S&W still pumps out model 629s that make excellent shooters. got almost 1000 rds of full juice 44 magnum through a 2018 production 6” 629 half lug. It has held up perfectly. my older revolvers don’t see much use as I now consider them family heirloom pieces and want them for my kids not my ass.

The above is quoted for truth.

The Smith & Wesson N-frame is, and has always been, just adequate for .44 magnum. A 29 will last for a long time with a moderate diet of .44 magnum, but a heavier shooting regimen will loosen it up quickly. A moderate diet means a few boxes a year of factory .44 magnum, and very few, if any, "bear" loads. Plus shoot as much as you want with .44 special or lighter magnum handloads. If I wanted to shoot more than that, I would consider a Ruger.

And for anyone who really wants an older blued Model 29, I would say "get one." They are beautiful guns. But get a newer 629 also if you want to shoot a lot.

I would hunt for a 29-2 and buy the best example you can afford if it's a keeper. I'm never getting rid of mine, it's too cool.

When you look at enough of them, you'll quickly be able to tell the 6" from the 6.5" barrels from a mile away. They're not cheap. Took me a while to find one in excellent condition and paid $1K cash for it (no box or tools) but it had no blemishes beyond a little wear near the end of the barrel. Unless the market has dipped on these the past few years, finding a perfect 29-2 under $1K is almost impossible.

Also, the serial number will tell you alot about the year. I think mine is a '72 but the Dirty Harry year serial numbers start with like N1 followed by 5 digits instead of 6.....or something like that. There's a chart with the year to year serial number differences somewhere online if that matters to you.

I think the 6.5" barrel was a later option (stock barrel length being 6"),

I think the 6.5" barrel was a later option (stock barrel length being 6"),
You have that backwards, as released in ~1955 they were 6-1/2” barrels of 4-screw models, w/ an ‘S’ serial number; not called the N-frame nor Model 29 at that time. The Gun Control Act of 1968 resulted in the S-frame designation being changed to an N-frame prefix, and in 1979 the 6½-inch barrel was shortened to 6 inches in order to standardize production, according to Roy Jinks, their Historian.

More info here: An Official Journal Of The NRA | Dirty Harry's Model 29: America's Shooting Star

Had an early ‘58 one in the black (pre the all wood one) presentation case with the fully knurled screwdriver tool, where those alone can fetch $100 to $200. Book on this one at the time, in the condition, was $2,500. Sold it for close to that, many years ago, along w/ a factory letter from Roy.

My current ‘29’ is an early 70s pinned barreled and recessed cylinder model that still wears the 6-1/2” barrel.

Like others said, I load it down to 44 Special loads and fire it w/ zero issues. If a big, magnum-only ‘full throttle’ load was my choice, I too would not pick the S&W 29 in any version as the option. As an aside, I used to place 1st or 2nd in the local/regional 2nd Chance bowling pin shoots, using that 44 Special load, when those shoots were the vogue in the 70s/80s, and if I took 2nd that would be to 191145 ACP shooters, who normally would fill out the other top 5 to top 10 spits.

Last edited:
Enjoy those beautiful old walnut grips and then put some Hogues on it. Your wrist/hand will thank you and you will shoot more accurately too.

The search was a quick one, but very very satisfying. Luckily stumbled up on a S&W 29-5 Classic Hunter made in 1989. It has a full underlug and an unfluted cylinder. Forcing cone is almost pristine and it's in very good shape. There were only 2500 made by S&W in this configuration so pretty happy with it. It'll go great with my Lew Horton 629 that also has a rare unfluted cylinder.

IMG_2405.JPG

Back
Top Bottom