• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What should I get?

Since I'm waiting around for my license, I've been doing some researching on pistols and which I'd like to get for my first. So now I'm looking for opinions! I guess the biggest question is which caliber to get. Right now I'm between .357mag/.38 and .22lr. At first I wanted to go for a 22, because they are cheap and fun to shoot, but a couple seasoned gun owners told me that I may tire of that eventually and want something bigger. Now assuming shooting a 38 special is approx like a 9mm (they're about the same diameter really) I could go for that, and I'm told it is very cheap to reload 38 ammo; and I'd be interested in getting reloading also. Plus it has capability for the 357 load for some more kick. [grin] So here's the list so far for what I'm considering:

for .22lr:
-Browning Buckmark (new models illegal in MA, so I would have to find a pre-ban model in MA and customize it how I like from there), the grip feels good on this one (I have small hands)
-Ruger Single-six hunter, has a full length rail for scope, interchangeable cylinders for .22mag, and I like this grip also
-Ruger MKII or MKIII, I don't care for the feel of the grip on this, so I'd have to change it somehow and it seems that there are more products to do this on an MKII which I'd have to buy used. I've also read that to make it a really nice gun you have to change out some parts.
-S&W .22 revolver (forget the model), I've tried one of these, it wasn't bad

I'm not really considering the S&W 41, it's really pricey and it seems about on par with a good buckmark so the cost is hard to justify.

for .357mag/38:
-S&W model 60 or 686
-Ruger blackhawk, similar to the single six in style

Okay, well that is a fairly large list but it's what I've come up with so far! I'm sure I'd like to own all of these someday, but I'm looking at what I want to get first right now. Any opinions on any of this would be greatly appreciated! [smile] What's good, what isn't, or other guns I haven't looked into yet, etc. I can't beat with research the wealth of hands-on experience that is around these forums. Thanks in advance!!

Edit: I'll be using this just for target shooting at the range, not planning on any competition or anything like that, just want to shoot for fun right now.

-Tom

TomH,
I'll be the first to say it. Get BOTH!

A .22 or a .357 shooting 38s is a great way to start shooting. If you choose a .357 a 4" S&W 686 is a good starting gun.

I think you will shoot a lot more with a .22 to begin with. But may shortly move to a center fire and forget about the.22

Good luck,

jkelly

another +1 for Both.

Personally I'd jump right into the .357. You can shoot cheap .38 wadcutters, all the way up to powerful .357 loads, also a .357 is a MUCH better choice for a defensive arm, so it has that over a .22.

Though the sooner you get the .22 the better because you can get a lot more dollar for Dollar with your range time.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

For a 22 if you can find a Ruger 22/45 MK II buy it the grip has the same angle as a 1911. Stay away from the Ruger MkIII semi autos they are a horror show to take apart and re assemble. For the 357 a Ruger GP 100 or Security Six in SS 4' barrel If you like pm me and I would be more than happy to bring you to my range with an assortment of pistols you can try

Last edited:
Another vote for both. [devil]

If finances are a priority then go with the .38 / .357 . The .38's are affordable enough for plinkin' and the .357's are sufficient for personal defense.

I would get a Ruger Mark III, once you understand how they go back together, its a snap. You should never get bored with a .22, there is some much to learn about trigger control, sight picture etc. They are a great gun to own. They are the best way to practice the fundamentals of shooting.

Don't get into the trap of needing a big caliber gun to be a good shooter. If you go right to the hard recoiling gun, you will develop some very bad habits

You can't go wrong with a good 4", .357 revolver. My favorites, in no particular order, are the Ruger Security-Six, S&W 686, and Ruger GP100. They are all good guns and are available used from about $200 to $400.
As you are aware, simply changing the loads can take you from a light target and plinking load to a full house defense or hunting load. there a quite a few experienced handloaders on this forum who will be glad to help you get started.
The Browning Buckmark is a very good gun. Be prepared to search for a while though, there aren''t many available in MA. I do see them every 3 or 4 months and the prices are usually not too bad. If you like the grip of the Buckmark, you might also want to take a look at the Ruger 22/45.

263L.jpg

I would go with a SW22A (semi auto) which is a great deal that can be had for under $200 used, it performs well and is a joy to shoot, and a SW520 or 620 (like a 586/686 but with the thinner shroud under the barrel which cuts down on weight). Get both.

Well, you've got a good list there. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

If you think you might like to do some bullseye, go for the Ruger or (If you can find it) a target model Buckmark. I shoot the Buckmark in a bullseye league and I love it. It is easier to maintain than the Ruger, and like you I like the grip better.

Do try the Ruger MKII/III 22/45 if it is just the grip angle you don't like. They are a hassle to get apart and together the first few times, but if you have the manual in front of you it is not that bad.

If you can, shoot them all before you buy.

If you can swing it, buy a .22 and .38/.357. You won't regret it. Do remember, you'll spend some $$ on reloading supplies for the .357/.38 (easily $200+ without getting into the good stuff). It will save you $$ over time, but you'll have to lay out some cash up front.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm an hour late for the "both" reply. But seriously, get both. My first gun was a Smith & Wesson 686, followed shortly by a Ruger Mark III. I'd buy the same two guns again in a heart beat.

The S&W is a fantastic gun, and in my opinion the best if-I-can-only-have-one gun you can own.

The Ruger is a great (cheap) trainer, good for taking newbies or girls shooting, etc. They are a pain to re-assemble, but with the manual in front of you, you'll be fine. Better to have a reliable, accurate .22 that's a pain to reassemble than a .22 that will jam up on you or won't shoot straight. Why do you think so many of us have them? Oh, and you won't get bored shooting it - or paying $9.98 for 550 rounds.

I've been shooting my .22 pistols for over 20 years, and I buy more of them all the time. I don't find them boring. I have the Buckmark, the Ruger, lots of Smith revolvers and others back there in the safe for good keeping.

I don't think you can do better than learning to shoot handguns with a good .22. My first was a Ruger Super Single Six, with a .22 magnum cylinder included. I like the single action, because it makes you go slow having to rotate the cylinder to load it. When I fire an auto, I always end up blasting away 50-100 shots just because it fun to shoot them fast, but you don't learn how to hit that way.

Later step up to a good auto if you want.

I agree that a good .357 is a great choice for a second gun. By the time you're shooting well with the .22 you'll have learned trigger control, sight picture, safe handling, and you'll be ready to handle some recoil, and the greater noise. (get ear phones)

I love my Ruger GP 100, matter of fact I have two of them right now. I also like my S&W Model 19 and some of the newer revolvers in 38 and .357. I love them all. One of my favorites is an old heavy barrel model 10 S&W .38 that I got at Zero Hour Arms for $150 not too long ago. If it was my only .38 I wouldn't be disappointed.

Get your hands on any of them you can and try them out. Sooner or later you'll buy others, but you should make sure the first one really suites you, as it might be awhile before you buy your second. After that they start appearing like fleas on a dog.

Have fun.

Bill

Thanks for the opinions, as I expected most of you said both [smile] I think I agree with the idea of starting with a .22.... that way building up good habits and control before moving up to something else. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the offer highlander, what range do you belong to? Keep them coming!

-Tom

If you're looking at the S&W 686 for a .357, you might consider a S&W 617 for a .22 as it is essentially the same gun just in a different calibur. That way you can practice the same with both guns.

The 617 is a bit more expensive than the listed auto-loaders, but it never jambs, and is about as easy as they come for care and feeding.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom