What should I do with my 1993 SAIGA

Nafets

NES Member
I recently scored an early B-West import 1993 SAIGA 7.62 Sporter in original box. It has a 20" barrel so I'm tempted to convert it to a pseudo RPK but this is the 1st year they were imported and there weren't a lot of them imported in the beginning so I'm torn. Should I leave it as-is or convert it and why would you go one way or the other? If I do convert it I would keep all of the original parts so if somebody wanted to convert it back to original they could.

All opinions welcome!

is it worth more as it sits ?
I have no idea of AK values but If your not thinking of selling it and your "conversion" does not alter the rifle in a degrading value way, convert it and shoot it?
So are saiga collectable now?

I’d say it depends on your collection. If you have a smaller collection and feel that you would shoot it a lot and enjoy it more being a rpk clone, then I’d go that route. If you have a large collection and this gun will only see the range a fraction of the time you visit the range, then I’d leave it original as it’ll be worth more in the long run that way.

I recently scored an early B-West import 1993 SAIGA 7.62 Sporter in original box. It has a 20" barrel so I'm tempted to convert it to a pseudo RPK but this is the 1st year they were imported and there weren't a lot of them imported in the beginning so I'm torn. Should I leave it as-is or convert it and why would you go one way or the other? If I do convert it I would keep all of the original parts so if somebody wanted to convert it back to original they could.

All opinions welcome!

I think that you should transfer it to me while you're deciding what to do.

If you do convert just make sure of the parts count compliance 922r. You can go over to Dinzag arms they have the info not worth getting in trouble with the Feds.

20-inch you say...?
I'd do this:
DSC04230.jpg

Just remember, It's still just a 7.62x39... which is an intermediate cartridge.

Last edited:
If you do convert just make sure of the parts count compliance 922r. You can go over to Dinzag arms they have the info not worth getting in trouble with the Feds.
Show me once case of someone getting charged with a 922r violation. It’s a bs reg that nobody cares about or enforces. It’s like the whole can’t rip the tag off the mattress bs.

Guess you never heard of the ATF technology and tool mark branch. I've worked in the trade long enough to see it happen and seen 07s become felons over little bullshit charges and the end game was 20-30k of legal fees and still end up a prohibited person.
Show me once case of someone getting charged with a 922r violation. It’s a bs reg that nobody cares about or enforces. It’s like the whole can’t rip the tag off the mattress bs.

Guess you never heard of the ATF technology and tool mark branch. I've worked in the trade long enough to see it happen and seen 07s become felons over little bullshit charges and the end game was 20-30k of legal fees and still end up a prohibited person.
A manufacturer vs end user is about as apples vs oranges as you can get. Obviously the ATF is interested in manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom