What shotguns for home defense make the best Sound when cocking it

53ady7.jpg

Looking to buy a shotgun that makes one of those badass sounds like in the movies

Never owned a shotgun before, but need a new self defense firearm for my newly remodeled laundry room

Trying not to out myself as a complete foamer, I'll say that I know, in general, most things there are to know about most types of railroad locomotive....and I can tell you that MOST movies get their (locomotives; trains in general) sound(s) wrong.

Another area routinely effed up by Hollywood, is clock sounds. Grandfather clocks striking midnight, etc., for example. Nearly always the wrong sound for the clock shown.

I can only imagine that guns' sounds in film(s) are, not dissimilarly, incorrect. [thumbsup]

Have at it, though. I think your request, is cool.

Trying not to out myself as a complete foamer, I'll say that I know, in general, most things there are to know about most types of railroad locomotive....and I can tell you that MOST movies get their (locomotives; trains in general) sound(s) wrong.

Another area routinely effed up by Hollywood, is clock sounds. Grandfather clocks striking midnight, etc., for example. Nearly always the wrong sound for the clock shown.

I can only imagine that guns' sounds in film(s) are, not dissimilarly, incorrect. [thumbsup]

Have at it, though. I think your request, is cool.
Ha ! A true foamer !

In real life when bad guys hear the racking noise they use it to locate and shoot you through whatever flimsy door/wall you mistook for cover instead of concealment.
I found most people lose control of their bowels. At least on several occasions I witnessed. Most people really aren't that brave.

Then again, I don't think shotguns make good home defense weapons. Too long, most people don't know how to go through a doorway and hold angles. More than once I backed out of a stash house and let a guy with a pistol lead because I couldn't get through the hoarder mess. Even AR15's are questionable in my opinion for 90+% of homeowners.

Looking to buy a shotgun that makes one of those badass sounds like in the movies

Never owned a shotgun before, but need a new self defense firearm for my newly remodeled laundry room
You don't need a shotgun that makes badass sounds. Just listen to Uncle Joe and get a double-barreled shotgun.

If you have reasonable suspicion or confirmation that someone is in your house that shouldn’t be, don’t do anything to help them find your location. You have to assume they are armed, want to kill you, and walls provide very little cover beyond visual obstruction. Also, don’t go looking for them. Grab your gun and as good a place to take cover as possible. I’m also generally against calling 911 as I don’t want the cops to show up and accidentally shoot my wife or I.

Last edited:
I found most people lose control of their bowels. At least on several occasions I witnessed. Most people really aren't that brave.

Then again, I don't think shotguns make good home defense weapons. Too long, most people don't know how to go through a doorway and hold angles. More than once I backed out of a stash house and let a guy with a pistol lead because I couldn't get through the hoarder mess. Even AR15's are questionable in my opinion for 90+% of homeowners.
You're on the right track but I think you're missing that situations are different. If I'm reaching for a long gun, it's not to check out a bump in the night - it's because I know someone's there and I'm going to wait for them at the top of the stairs. In that scenario I don't think it matters if they know where I am.

Why do you want to make noise and give away your location?
While I don't agree with the desire to specifically make noise, I will end up making it anyways simply because I have to chamber a round (shotguns aren't drop safe so I store mine with an empty chamber). As far as my location, well, see above.

Yup.

I have a loaded shotgun in my safe. It’s an option. But my house guns are my carry guns. One has a weaponlight and there’s a flashlight on each of the nightstands.

The dogs will alert me, and I’ll have concealment when you come through my door. If it’s nighttime, you’re getting a bright light in your eyes and if you have a weapon in your hand you’re getting shot.

The only hesitation will be if my wife’s not in the room, up and about for some reason. But if it’s her, the dogs won’t be alerting.

Yup.

I have a loaded shotgun in my safe. It’s an option. But my house guns are my carry guns. One has a weaponlight and there’s a flashlight on each of the nightstands.

The dogs will alert me, and I’ll have concealment when you come through my door. If it’s nighttime, you’re getting a bright light in your eyes and if you have a weapon in your hand you’re getting shot.

The only hesitation will be if my wife’s not in the room, up and about for some reason. But if it’s her, the dogs won’t be alerting.

My house gun is a P226 with 2 extra 20 rd magazines and a Surefire light attached. I also have a backup P365 Macro with a 17 rd mag.

WTF is a foamer?
I believe that in train watching parlance it is a person who likes trains and goes to the tracks to watch them. Hobos are wary of foamers because some foamers will snitch on them. But it could be applied to anyone who is perceived as being overly eager about something. A firearm enthusiast could be called a foamer.

Last edited:

Same here. My dogs are going to make a huge amount of noise and wake everyone up. My German Shepherd is going to look the most intimidating but it's actually my 45lb. Female rescue that you have to worry about. She's lightning fast and doesn't like strangers. You get by them and I'll be waiting for you. I keep a Remington 1100 that has a Mesa Tactical stock and 18" barrel and a P320X Compact with red dot.

Back
Top Bottom